Asking a question?

I simply asked a seller, was the item they were selling being posted in a 3kg satchel or a 500 g satchel.

Their response, 'yes a satchel'.  OK, I thought my question was fairly straight forward so I replied, 'which one' to their response 'why?'

I'm not sure why it's that hard for the seller to honestly tell me which satchel they'd be using and why so curt with the replies? If I'd walked into a shop and received comments like this to a question, I'd immediately walk straight back out!  Common courtesy goes a long way IMO!!  

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Asking a question?

That is a most odd response to your question. Perhaps they don't know which one it will fit in until they have tried packing it? I certainly would have taken the time to work out; how, what when and where to give you the answer you needed.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Asking a question?

Maybe do just that, walk straight out of that sellers items and find another.

It may also end up being an indication of how helpful they are should a problem arise. 😉

image host
Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Asking a question?

Playing devil's advocate here, and really not my business, but could I inquire as to why you needed that information ?

Sorry, it's just as a seller I don't think I have ever had that question put to me.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Asking a question?

could I inquire as to why you needed that information ?

Anyway, it should be apparent from $ charged what size satchel is being used.  The seller might not speak English very well.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Asking a question?

Are you concerned about the postage being charged?

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Asking a question?

The conversation could quite possibly have been confusing from the seller's perspective...

eg

Is this being posted in a 500g or 3kg satchel? The seller could have thought that was an either/or question, requiring essentially a yes or no.

Which one? If they're the only words to your next reply, perhaps they needed clarification as to what the "one" was since they might have felt they already answered your first question. 

The seller may also have selected the appropriate satchel they will be using when they specified postage - they can choose standard delivery, but they can also choose specific satchels and the weight will be displayed on the listing, so check under the payments & postage tab first to see what kind of delivery service the seller has opted to use. 

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

Asking a question?

It's possible that the seller misunderstood but to me the original question seemed very clear.   

I also think its a legitimate question, especially if the listing stated item would be sent via satchel but didn't specify a specific price.  There is a reasonable difference in price between 500gm and  3kg. 

As a seller I always answer questions with as much detail as necessary.  I wouldn't ask why unless I needed extra info to be helpful.  Like you OP, this seller would have put me off too!

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Asking a question?

I believe the item would easily fit into a smaller satchel but I did want to check with the seller first which satchel they'd be using. This does affect the cost of postage and I take into consideration when buying. I'd rather ask the questions first before I buy and then there shouldn't be any surprises!

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Asking a question?

Yes, that's why I asked which satchel they'd be using. I've had a couple of sellers in the past quote 3kg satchel prices and parcels have arrived in 500g satchels, even ones that weighed more than 500g!!  I was lucky not to have been slapped with a fine from AP because the seller neglected to put their return details on it!  So, I now just ask if I'm unsure.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply