BEWARE Global shipping program

Buyers beware before you purchase from US sellers check that they do not use the Global shipping program. You will have to pay 2 shipping costs. One for the seller to ship the item to the shipping company in the US. And a second exorbitant cost (min of aboutUS$25) to then ship to you. A simple $5 purchase becomes $50 before you know it. To make it worse most of the yanks don't even know they have signed up for it. This has to be one of ebays biggest rip offs yet!
Message 1 of 311
Latest reply
310 REPLIES 310

Re: BEWARE Global shipping program

Some sellers say they agree to post normally if I take responsability if something happens. That's fair enough I guess.

Except that they are relying on the buyer's honesty. If the buyer opens a case for INR and the seller can't provide proof of delivery, the seller loses the item and the money. Copies of buyer disclaimers notwithstanding.

Message 181 of 311
Latest reply

@davewil1964wrote:

Some sellers say they agree to post normally if I take responsability if something happens. That's fair enough I guess.

Except that they are relying on the buyer's honesty. If the buyer opens a case for INR and the seller can't provide proof of delivery, the seller loses the item and the money. Copies of buyer disclaimers notwithstanding.

Items with normal tracking are usually not trackable on the official AusPost site, but AusPost knows when they are delivered. I am happy with normal tracking, not really the cheapest possible option.

Message 182 of 311
Latest reply

@14362jamwrote:

absolute rubbish, australia has no import tax for goods under a$1000.00 unless stated by customs, and then all sorts of forms have to be filled out, we start paying g.s.t. after that amount, sure you don't work for G.S.P. !

Hi 14362jam , and welcome to the boards here. Well, who's to say. Anything is possible. You have made a valid point in one other area as well.

There are spooks around in all necks of woods.  Smiley Wink

Message 183 of 311
Latest reply

I wanted to buy a $30 cushion, and the shipping was nearly a hundred dollars.   I emailed the seller to tell her what was going on - and she was shocked, but is still using them.  LOL!!  

Message 184 of 311
Latest reply

@ingricarlsso-0 wrote:

I wanted to buy a $30 cushion, and the shipping was nearly a hundred dollars.   I emailed the seller to tell her what was going on - and she was shocked, but is still using them.  LOL!!  

Hi ingricarlsso-0, some poor sellers have no idea that they have had GSP hoisted on to them. When they notice a fall in their sales they'll probably investigate ...  "Hmmm, sales are down 20% this month, what's happening Smiley Sad   ", Well, buyers are not going to pay $40 for something that would normally cost $12. Smiley Mad     And in your case ....   whoooooh, that's disgusting. I hope the seller has sorted themself out.   

Message 185 of 311
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@ingricarlsso-0 wrote:

Hi ingricarlsso-0, some poor sellers have no idea that they have had GSP hoisted on to them. When they notice a fall in their sales they'll probably investigate ...  "Hmmm, sales are down 20% this month, what's happening Smiley Sad ad:   ", Well, buyers are not going to pay $40 for something that would normally cost $12. Smiley Mad     And in your case ....   whoooooh, that's disgusting. I hope the seller has sorted themself out.   

they won't care about lost international sales IF they don't want to sell internationally.

Message 186 of 311
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

@4channel wrote:

@ingricarlsso-0@ingricarlsso-0 wrote:

@4channel wrote:

Hi ingricarlsso-0, some poor sellers have no idea that they have had GSP hoisted on to them. When they notice a fall in their sales they'll probably investigate ...  "Hmmm, sales are down 20% this month, what's happening Smiley Sad ad:   ", Well, buyers are not going to pay $40 for something that would normally cost $12. Smiley Mad     And in your case ....   whoooooh, that's disgusting. I hope the seller has sorted themself out.   

_____________________________________________________________________________________

k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

they won't care about lost international sales IF they don't want to sell internationally.

Well, for those who don't sell internationally, having GSP attatched to their sales (with or without their consent/knowlege) isn't going to make a difference. True!

But ....  for those who sell collectable  items in bidding autions, it is going to make a heck of a difference. Having GSP attatched to their auctions can mean te potential to attract 15 plus bids and getting $150 for an item can be crushed. They may end up with just  $15 instead. I can explain this more and in depth later. But you know what I mean.

Message 187 of 311
Latest reply

Ebay GSP, now is adding a higher % for buyers to have items sent to Australia. This is above the 10% import tax. Adds up to almost 20% extra on the buying and shipping price. They claim they have to add handling charges! Beware.
Message 188 of 311
Latest reply

It has everything to do with the GST.....when sellers are using the GSP you pay the GST on an inflated postage cost as well as Pitney Bowes charging GST on their fee to collect the GST.  unconscionable but legal, unfortunately.

Message 189 of 311
Latest reply

When GST was implemented in 2000, retailers were prosecuted if they
1. Didn't state the GST inclusive price
2. Tried to markup items beyond the 10%

eBay, as a retailer, should be prosecuted as they
1. Don't provide the GST inclusive prices
2. Embed the GST in a whole lot of unrelated charges.

I don't use eBay to transact with the US or UK anymore, I liase directly as eBay is deceptively taking us to the cleaners
Message 190 of 311
Latest reply