Bid retraction

If a buyer retracts a bid, is he/she obliged to give a reason and is that reason public?

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bid retraction

Yes, you have to give a reason. The options will be made available to you when you start the process to retract your bid. The sellers item will have a message under it on the bidding history page that there has been a bid retraction. It will also show on your feedback how many bids you have retracted.

If someone clicks on your anonymous name in someone's bidding history, they will be able to see how many bids you have retracted, but they won't know from that who you are.

If you retract your bid due to entering an incorrect amount, e.g you entered $5000 instead of $50.00 you have to place a new bid.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Bid retraction

Yes, you have to give a reason. The options will be made available to you when you start the process to retract your bid. The sellers item will have a message under it on the bidding history page that there has been a bid retraction. It will also show on your feedback how many bids you have retracted.

If someone clicks on your anonymous name in someone's bidding history, they will be able to see how many bids you have retracted, but they won't know from that who you are.

If you retract your bid due to entering an incorrect amount, e.g you entered $5000 instead of $50.00 you have to place a new bid.

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Bid retraction

And it's usually the seller that reports a buyer if they don't.

image host
Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Bid retraction

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

And it's usually the seller that reports a buyer if they don't.

Which can earn you a policy violation against your account.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Bid retraction

From my experience, I have found that when a buyer retracts a bid - they have usually bought elsewhere (you can check their f/b)....I just move on (and have usually sold for a lot more) Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Bid retraction

Just like to add a question that I asked Ebay,

@twyngwyn wrote:

From my experience, I have found that when a buyer retracts a bid - they have usually bought elsewhere (you can check their f/b)....I just move on (and have usually sold for a lot more) Smiley Happy

a bidder placed 6 separate bids on a item that I was bidding on until they reach my max bidd then was able to retract those bidds & no description or reason was given to me by Ebay when I question the action they stated it was all OK.Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Bid retraction

what is the item no?
Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Bid retraction

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Bid retraction

Sorry I know this is an old thread but I have noticed a bidder has retracted around 260 bids in the last 6 months and they have a high feedback score of nearly 2000.

This bidder has retracted on some of the items I'm bidding on at the moment and this is how I found out about their high retraction.

They have never re-made another bid on the items and it doesn't look like any of the sellers have reported them.

So how many bid retractions is a bidder allowed to do before ebay do something about it?

Obviously if the seller doesn't report the bidder then nothing will be done,but surely some of these sellers should have reported them?

I have notified some sellers that I have bid on their items regarding this bidder and have asked them to report them but it seems as though they haven't bothered. 

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Bid retraction

crow, I had a case like this a couple of years back, but the serial retractor had around 3 times as many retractions as yours yet it still took eBay a few months of reporting by my seller to do anything about it - and even then the member could still buy on BINs.

I kept my eye on the member and lo and behold after a couple of months they were back bidding on items and STILL retracting to find out what the high bid was.................................grrrrrr.

Quite simply eBay didn't give a stuff about it.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 21
Latest reply