Bid retraction

If a buyer retracts a bid, is he/she obliged to give a reason and is that reason public?

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Bid retraction

If you retract your bid due to entering an incorrect amount, e.g you entered $5000 instead of $50.00 you have to place a new bid.

----------------------------------

They're supposed to, but in effect nothing happens if they don't.

Surely it wouldn't be that hard for ebay to create a computer prgram where if someone entered 'wrong price' as a reason for a retraction, they then had to enter the correction before the retraction was accepted.

It wouldn't stop a bidder choosing another option but if they ticked 'change of mind' they could be hit with a defect & a few of them, maybe limited to bidding on buy it now items for a set period.

It obviously just doesn't suit ebay to do anything & these people who bid up in small amounts, just to find out your top bid & then retract, are utter pains.

Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

Bid retraction

The bid retracters always go just above the maximum price someone else is willing to bid and then retract to

one bid below it,(so they are assisting eBay in getting higher prices and therefore eBay will never do anything

to stop it).

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

Bid retraction

So, couldn't that, in effect, be shill bidding?

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

Bid retraction

Interesting. And what if those retractors have shares in ebay?  Hmmmm.

I am not usually a conspiracy theorist but it's very possible.

image host
Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

Bid retraction

@imastawka wrote:

That was what my seller was very worried about Stalks - that other bidders would suspect that and retract their bids as well.

Needless to say that bidder went straight onto his BBL, never to be taken off it.................

Hey Kopes, like the theory.....................but will yer tin hat fit over the Musketeers awesome headgear ?????

Spoiler
Maybe it would if you cut a hole for the feather........but that may in turn let unwanted signals enter your brain..................hahahahaha

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

Bid retraction

@imastawka wrote:

Yep!!,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

That's how other bidders might see it and they may not bid again on that auction,Corny_cleaning-glasses.gif

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Interesting. And what if those retractors have shares in ebay?  Hmmmm.

I am not usually a conspiracy theorist but it's very possible.

Why not,Who knows.gif

Look at all the fake listings on this site that they do nothing about as they also bring in money.

As long as it brings in money they wont stop it,shok.gif

@padi*0409 wrote:

@imastawka wrote:

That was what my seller was very worried about Stalks - that other bidders would suspect that and retract their bids as well.

Needless to say that bidder went straight onto his BBL, never to be taken off it.................

That's about the only way you can stop that sort of "bidder/buyer",stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

Bid retraction

The problem here is that none of the sellers are blocking this bidder because I have noticed now that they are bidding on other items from the same sellers and still retracting.

So could this bidder some how be the owner of all of the selling accounts? and is shill bidding on his own accounts,is this even possible to do and get away with it? 

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

Bid retraction

@collect247 wrote:

The problem here is that none of the sellers are blocking this bidder because I have noticed now that they are bidding on other items from the same sellers and still retracting.

So could this bidder some how be the owner of all of the selling accounts? and is shill bidding on his own accounts,is this even possible to do and get away with it? 

There is probably a good chance that is the case,(or a friend doing it from a different IP address so it doesn't

get "flagged" by eBay),stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Unfortunately it's now near impossible to prove shill bidding so they keep getting away with it.

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

Bid retraction

can you tell me how

Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

Bid retraction

Answered on your other post.

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying-on-eBay/I-have-wrongly-entered-an-amount-for-a-bid-but-dont-...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 20 of 21
Latest reply