Blocking australians

I just heard on the news that ebay wants to block Australians.

I am in shock.

I am one Australian that is saddened about this news.

Although i don't always get my orders, most of the time I do. 

One time my order was sent back to the seller and they never told me. 

So they kept my order and money. 

I love ebay it will definitely have an impact on my life if I am not allowed to use ebay anymore. 

Please vote here to keep ebay for us Australians. 

Regards Elly from Sydney. 

Spoiler
Proudly Australian 

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Blocking australians

great news for Australian business sellers who have been paying GST on all Ebay sold items since they began , why should Overseas sellers be exempt, the tax dogger! before GST it was sales Tax  24% + 5% duty tax + $15 entry fee on any item above about $20

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

Thanks for your input, I wasnt aware hat there were ofhter sites besd=des ebay. CaI i please ask for some linkts to have alook at thses sites  Thanks DEb

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

It is against board rules to post links to other sites.   They should not really even be mentioned but occasionally it slips through.

Just Google Australian auction sites and see what comes up.

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

The issue with the Governments proposal is that they want to โ€œhitโ€ the marketplace, not the individual sellers.

If Iโ€™m buying a vintage coat from a grandma in the US who is cleaning out her closest, she doesnโ€™t met the definition of a business seller (over $75,000 per annum) so she is exempt and accordingly my one off purchase is exempt. Under the rules.

However the govt wants to make eBay, the marketplace, responsible for collecting the 10%. EBay cannot and will not be examining their records to see if x seller has transacted more than $75,000 this year to work out if GST is payable or not. They will just have to levy the 10% on all and every transaction. However, eBay is no charity, so someone ie the buyer is going to have to bear the costs to implement these changes to their systems to facilitate the collection and remittance of GST money.

So even that 99 cent purchase has a 10 cent GST amount to be collected and remitted.

And how will returns, refunds or item not received work? The GST is already collected, itโ€™s collected when you pay for your item, not when you receive it. So how the @@@ does eBay get the already paid GST back for the buyer? More expense to the buyer.

Despite the Governments beliefs, most items bought on eBay from overseas are done so because they arenโ€™t available here to buy, or they are preloved. No Aussie enjoys the eyewatering shipping costs to bring whatever to Australia.  

And if you read the Govt report, you read that they would also like PayPal to be responsible for collecting GST on any money paid for goods overseas. They realize that other websites or marketplaces might be under the radar but seeing as we have to pay, they can skim the cream that way.

So then a whole raft of other issues might result, people will start paying in less secure ways or buying through less secure markets to either avoid the GST or because the seller refuses to sell or accept payment any other way. 

Sadly itโ€™s  a short slippery slope to chaos in my opinion.

Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

The only chaos I can see is in your thinking......learn how the GST works before sounding off.

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

Getting a refund will be no different to getting a refund in a supermarket or other shop. You're just refunded the total amount you paid, regardless of whether gst was part of the total price or not.
Message 26 of 26
Latest reply