Bought an item already but accidentally submitted old adress

adel_74
Community Member
Now the old address isn't all that far from where I live actually, but it's an abandoned house atm, so no one is living there. When the postman delivers the item and no one is there, does the seller get notified that the item will be sent to the nearest post office or something or how does this work?

Below are the relevant messages related to my situation about wrong address, with expected delivery date.

Cheers.

http://imgur.com/a/Egh4gk7
Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Generally if an item is undeliverable, it will be returned to sender. I would highly doubt it would be sent to the nearest post office. All you can do at this point is to create a My Post account and upload the tracking number into it and subscribe to trackng emails. Then you can check daily what the parcel is doing, and on the day that it says it's onboard for delivery, you go to your old house and wait for it to arrive. 

There is not a lot the seller can do because they have sent it to the address they were given. If it does get returned to sender, you have the option paying postage for it to be resent, or ask the seller if they can cancel the transaction. If they agree, you would get your money back minus postage costs.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

adel_74
Community Member
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately don't have the tracking number, but I'll probs just intercept it by waiting outside the house.
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

If there is no tracking number how are you going to know when to expect the parcel?

Mail is so slow these days that even if it is within the same city it may take weeks to turn up.

Do you intend to camp on the doorstep for however long it takes to arrive?

I suggest the My Post account.....once the parcel is in the system you can change the delivery address.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

adel_74
Community Member
Lyndal, click on the Imgur link.
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I did and I stand by what I said.....the chances of anything being delivered when ebay says it will be delivered is slim to zero.

Read the boards and see how many members are complaining about how unreliable the estimated delivery dates are these days due to the coronavirus.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

As mentioned, the estimated delivery date guessed by eBay is highly unlikely to be anywhere near correct

I do hope the current restrictions in your state allow for lingering around a public place 'in case a delivery arrives' 

You certainly do not want to be fined for something that is likely to be delayed for weeks 

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

adel_74
Community Member
Oh sorry Lyndal. I guess you are probably right. I will have to just get the guy to send me the tracking number. Is it compulsory for them to do so?
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Any seller who does not give the buyer a tracking number if there is one is mad, in my opinion.  They leave themselves wide open to a buyer starting a dispute if they cannot track the item.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Talk to your post office and see if there's anything they can do. They have the systems in place to handle mail redirections - what you're needing is essentially a once-off version of that.

Obviously take some ID, and some proof of you having lived at the previous address (electricity bill or similar) just in case. And get the seller to give you a description of the parcel's packaging to pass on.

They might just be willing to do an informal redirect, or hold it at the PO for you.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply