Has anyone experienced international transaction fee on items purchased in AUD in Australia?

pupie07
Community Member

Has anyone experienced international transaction fees while buying in your own country and in your own currency?

Lots of vendors/sellers have warehouses in Australia but when you pay the transaction occurs overseas so you pay an additional transaction fee!

Very misleading!!!

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Has anyone experienced international transaction fee on items purchased in AUD in Australia?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If the seller is registered overseas then the money is going overseas and an interntional transaction fee is payable.

Some overseas sellers (read Chinese) will tell you the items are in Australia but they are not.....the items will take several weeks to arrive from overseas before being dispatched from a local address.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

If the seller has their account set up to collect money in any other currency but Australian dollars (ie if they've listed on ebay.com) then yes you will pay international transaction fees.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

It's not right though that the seller advertises in AUD, lists the item location as local (Australian) and then proceeds the transaction in another currency.

Ebay allows itself to be used as a platform for this fraudulent activity.
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

If a seller lists on the Australian site the prices will show in AU$ no matter where the items are located.

All prices on ebay will be in the currency of the site on which they are listed.   That is nothing to do with the seller at all.

Some sellers do have items located in Australia so until they arrive you have no way of knowing if the seller is being truthful in the item location.

The most accurate way of knowing if it is an overseas transaction is to look at where the seller is registered....they cannot change that or falsify it.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Yes! I get that a lot lately.  It's so annoying and I am fed up with it! You always have to click on the member information to see where they are located.

I think it should state in the listing itself where the seller is located. Or better still there should be a search criteria to exclude any seller NOT in Oz, not just where the item is being sent from as you currently can do. Would save a lot of time. 

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Ebay are a bunch of crooks. I recently purchased an Item from Taiwan and all was in USD. I transferred enough ($1320) into another account to cover the purchase.  As soon as I made the payment Ebay deducted $1309.58 from my bank account. 7 days later the amount was amended by Ebay to $1,348.86. When I opened this transaction in my bank account it said "Foreign Transaction Fee" $39.24. 

Unlike all my other foreign orders where you can click on "Order Details" & scroll down to "Other Actions" it normally shows "View Tax Invoice" & "Contact Seller". This order did not have downloadable "View Tax Invoice" nor at the top right next to "Payment Info" did it have the AUSD amount. Usually, you can click on a small (i) symbol that brings up the exchange rate at the time of purchase, let alone printing the invoice that shows both currency values. 

What upset me most was not the lack of clear exchange rate anywhere to be found. What upset me most was the fraud Ebay commits by not disclosing at the Checkout screen any form of so-called "Foreign Trans fee" so the buyer knows in advance that they will incur said fee prior to purchasing.

Instead in my case they deducted one amount at the time of checkout payment from my bank account and 7 days later altered & deducted a further fee. This is illegal. All I have from Ebay is an order with a USD value of $849 Total Paid. 

When I found some time to launch a chat with an Ebay rep asking for an invoice, I was told due to some bull**bleep** Global Worldwide shipping program an invoice only showing USD amount with no exchange rates is all that can be provided by Ebay. Forget about the bull**bleep** "foreign trans fee". He advised to contact the seller. At which point I advised Ebay charged me an exchange rate not the seller & tried to ask again to be provided with an Ebay invoice with exchange rate let alone explain why an additional fee was charged well after point of sale without advising me beforehand.  This was too much for the rep and he pretended he did not receive a reply in time & ended automated chat. 

In short Ebay commits fraud with impunity. There is no way I will ever obtain anything that shows an exchange rate let alone an explanation of why Ebay does not forewarn customers as required under consumer law, at least in this country, to itemise all fees during the checkout process. Instead in some cases they doctor one's bank account 7 days after they debited the USD sale amount & inflated exchange rate.  Seeing they charge sellers selling fees and in this case buyers with inflated exchange rates where they profit on both ends of the transaction, they also commit fraud and debit the buyer a second time. 

Gotta Love Ebay..... 

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Let me guess - the price was italicised. That means it is a conversion at the time you looked/bought. It is not what you will pay when eBay (like every other financial institution) charge the rate at time of sale plus a currency conversion fee. 

I assume you are venting, as you would have opened a new thread rather than bumping a FIVE year old one otherwise.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply