Buyer beware

I bought a complete kitchen on eBay.  It was expensive. I then spent a day organising people to help me dismantle it, transport it and reassemble it.  I entered into a contract to sell it and install it. I spent hours measuring and planning. The seller then cancelled and refunded.  I am several thousand dollars out of pocket.  EBay said that because I got a refund - maybe I did, but it seems likely to take five days or so to happen - I have no rights. Ebay threatens buyers that they are entering into a contract that they must honour. There is no means of contacting them except by chat because the 'purchase was refunded'. Ebay's chat doesn't work - the minutes count down then when it gets to 1 minute it freezes. There is not even an email address to record disappointment. Be aware that when you purchase on eBay you are on your own.  There is no redress other than refund. In any legitimate market the law of contract would allow redress through the courts.  eBay is designed to ensure that can never happen. Draw your own conclusions, but beware.

Message 1 of 62
Latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: Buyer beware

Yo Sandy.  Absolutely right.  I don't expect compensation for anything.  Having bought an expensive item and paid for it I do think it should be provided. You don't think that?  Kindly explain why.  And yes I am assured I will get a refund.  Yes, yes, yes, I think it will be nice when it happens, and I think it will happen.  But in the meantime I am out of pocket.  What do you think I want to hear? Certainly nothing from you, thank you very much.  EBay is the Wild West, which is why I issued the warning. All care and absolutely NO responsibility. I have used EBay for many years - a LOT - but no more. Too many idiots on here.

Message 51 of 62
Latest reply

Hi paid, old mate.  Take pity on an old mate? What's the question I don't like?

Message 52 of 62
Latest reply

Yes except it's nothing like that.

Message 53 of 62
Latest reply

Quite so.  So goodbye to EBay and the idiot system it represents

Message 54 of 62
Latest reply

Please do. Thank you so much.

Message 55 of 62
Latest reply

Hi all

Once again it is sliding into the realm of interpersonal dispute and name calling.

Please remember the request to Be Respectful

We are happy to lock the thread if required.

eBay Moderation Team

Message 56 of 62
Latest reply

@graeme7518 wrote:

What's the question I don't like?

2 actually, who's that neg for and did you have to pay the people that were going to remove the kitchen ?

And one more, how many kitchens have you got in your house ?

"I used the kitchens I bought myself - how can that be at a 'useful profit'?"

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 57 of 62
Latest reply

Thanks old mate. So kind. I am clearly ignorant - the card says 'WORKING WITH CHILDREN CHECK'.  You must be right, and of course I bow to to your infinitely greater understanding of the universe - of course it means working with vulnerable people, despite the words printed on the card.  Would you like a copy? My eyes are very bad - I must be wrong, I suppose because I don't have any legs to stand on. Maybe the card says something other than what it does. I bought a kitchen, paid for it, vendor cancelled and there was consequent loss. I am not arguing for consequential damages, I just made the observation that people should be aware that having bought something and paid a lot of money for it, there is no expectation that they should get what they paid for.  I guess that shows how unreasonable I am. Some people here have suggested the reason was because the vendor didn't want people in their house. With a carrier I would have been the only person to enter.  If they didn't want people in their house why did they sell with condition purchaser dismantles and removes? Why is any of that relevant to you?  I am glad to be leaving EBay because of all the dishonest and idiotic people on here.  Of course, that doesn't refer to your good self and I value your immensely insightful umm insights. Thank you so much for your profound contribution.  Oh yes, and being a bear of little brain, perhaps you could enlighten me as to why any of what I said is irrelevant.

Message 58 of 62
Latest reply

Sorry Padi.  I don't understand the question. I left a warning that having paid for an expensive item after some time the sale can be cancelled and the money may be received back at some indeterminate time later, so leaving the purchaser out of pocket by a significant amount for some unspecified period of time. I must be stupid, but surely that is a warning to anyone contemplating a purchase on EBay for a large amount. What have I missed here? My conclusion, and it is only my conclusion, is that for any large ticket purchase, avoid EBay.

Message 59 of 62
Latest reply

I have used a couple of kitchens I have bought in a couple of houses I have owned over a period of many years.  What is the reference to 'useful profit'? I have never made a profit or sought to make a profit.

Message 60 of 62
Latest reply