Buyers - PLEASE check your address details

We are seeing a significant increase in incorrect address details.

The most common one is for addresses in major towns and cities where buyers put both eg

3 Blogg st

Essendon Melbourne Vic 3040   (it should be just Essendon Vic 3040)

or Trinity Beach Cairns Qld 4879 (it should be just Trinity Beach Qld 4879)

or Glenorchy Hobart Tas 7010 (it should be just Glenorchy TAS 7010)

(these are all examples from the last week of transactions)

or forget the suburb completely

3 Blogg St

Melbourne Vic 3040

At best these can delay shipment while the seller gets it right (a lot of the systems such as Click & Send will reject these addresses meaning the seller has to do it manually), cause delays in delivery and possibly lost parcels (eg there are 3 post offices with the 3040 postcode). 

Also, when the seller has to update manually you open up possibilities for keying errors.

And bear in mind that whilst it might be obvious to an Australian seller that Melbourne 3040 isn't right a Chinese/British/American seller won't spot the problem. 

Incorrect postcodes are another problem - I suspect in most cases its just that you've changed address and forgotten to update the postcode (but we have had buyers who apparently didn't want anyone to know they lived in a particular suburb so they fudged the postcode!)

So buyers - please take the time to make sure your address is accurate in both eBay and Paypal. Australia Post is pretty good, but especially when it gets busy things go astray or get delayed if the address is not entirely correct.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Buyers - PLEASE check your address details

ho hum .... IMO it remains a time consuming job when as outlined by the OP postcodes are wrong, suburbs are missing etc and you process a large volume of parcels daily.

On occasion post is delayed until buyer actually confirms correct address details. FACT

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Get real dave....Are you watching the clock as it spins around the room at 99% of the speed of light.

If the address details are all correct and a system was set up to handle all the inputs and selections and payment then maybe, as in one click and everything is printed type of thing. In which case it would depend on the printer speed, you must have a really good printer. But then you say 200....

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

I agree ....... takes longer than it should if details are incomplete. I use the Australia Post locations guide to track down correct suburb. We use eparcel and each consignment has to be entered manually . I just want it right when it leaves me.I don't like RTS parcels.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

It's not just the "time" required but also some of the inaccuracies and the problem that causes. Some examples

Last Thursday we had a buyer who gave their  address as Street Address, Hobart 7009 (7009 is West Moonah). They bought a second item off us the next day with Same Street Address, Hobart 7010 (7010 is Glenorchy). Same buyer, same street address, no suburb in either case, and different postcodes on two different days.

We've had a couple of parcels go missing because of similar errors - usually it relates to being right postcode but wrong suburb (eg Kuranjang/Melton/West Melton post offices all have the same postcode (although Australia Post generally do a marvellous job at figuring things out).

We've had circumstances where buyers have moved and forgotten to update details, or have updated them in eBay and not in Paypal.

And every time we have to manually correct an address there is the risk of an error being made.

The time is immaterial - we sell maybe 60 items a week and it doesn't add a lot of time (but if we were much busier this would be a bit more of an issue) We want to get the items to our buyers (and as smoothly as possible) - but we are sometimes left wondering just how some buyers ever receive anything.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

I think Ebay should add this beside the "city/suburb" box: "This city/suburb should match the postcode given above"

If Ebay's system programming has the ability to inform a seller if the address cannot be verified so WHY can'y Ebay do this to anyone when they first enter their address in the Ebay address form. There is no excuse for this problem that causes sellers a lot of wasted time trying to correct addresses. EBAY SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY REJECT AN ADDRESS THAT CANNOT BE VERIFIED until the EBAY MEMBER can get it RIGHT. So Simple - problem solved by Ebay doing a little mod to their programming.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

Two year old thread....

I dont know why old threads get draged up

*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 16 of 16
Latest reply