Buying a new pair of boots - you wouldn't think it'd be so hard...

OK, this gets a bit involved, but should provide a bit of amusement...

I've been wearing a pair of Windsor Smith Motor Boots, for the last seven or eight years. They've given great service, but are now starting to fall apart, so I decided that it was time for a new pair. And thus do my woes begin!

For starters, Windsor Smith don't make 'em any more. Managed to find an "only worn once" pair in size 12, and happily purchased them. They arrived, I tried them on - too small! I take a size 12, so was puzzled - until I checked my old pair, and found that they were actually 13s.

OK, my bad. I put the boots back up on eBay, and got back what I paid. Fair enough!

Take two: a brand called Johnny Reb has basically the same thing, so I bought a pair of 13s. Next day, the transaction's been cancelled - they apparently don't have size 13, despite it being available as a selection on their listing.

Take three: I try another seller. Same deal - transaction cancelled the next day, and refunded.

Takes 3a and 3b: Sellers on another site have used pairs. One won't post, the other sells them in the eight hours between my sending an enquiry and him reading it.

Take four: I try a different brand of boot this time. I confirm first that they have 13s, then I buy, and the boots arrive a couple of days later. Naturally, they've sent size 12 instead of the size 13 that I ordered... I get in touch, they're very apologetic, and promise to send a pair in size 13 with a return label for the 12s.

Meanwhile, I've finally found a seller (not on eBay, this time) who has a pair of the Johnny Reb boots in size 13. I buy them.

While I'm waiting for them, the replacement size 13s arrive from the mob who sent the wrong ones. The right hand one fits just fine. The left is a lot tighter than I'd like. I persevere for a couple of days, but finally give up and take it to Mr. Minit to get stretched. I pick it up tomorrow (fingers crossed!).

Then, like a white knight riding to the rescue, the size 13 Johnny Reb boots arrive!! Beautifully packaged, great-looking boots - and enormous. I try them on - they're like canoes. Miles too big. I try gel insoles, which fix a lot of the problem with the inner space, but the top of the over-large boot rubs against the back of my calves with each step I take - after one day, they're blistered.

So, they're going back up for sale when I get a chance. I've since ordered a pair of the Johnny Reb boots in 12, and am awaiting their arrival.

Meanwhile, as I type this, I sit wearing a brand new size 13 on my right foot, and my old Windsor Smith on the left.

To summarize: 

Pair one: too small

Pair two: Out of stock

Pair three: Out of stock

Pair four: wrong size sent

Pair five: left one is too small - awaiting results of the stretching 

Pair six: too big

Pair seven: to be announced - watch this space...

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I feel for you.  However, I do think that footwear is best bouight only after tried on.  I know that same brand and same size SHOULD fit fine but these days I would not risk it,  I have large feet for a wpman and would never dare tp purchase shoes on line.  Good luck with ir.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

It would be easier (and less painful) to cut your feet off 🙂
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

After a couple of days wearing the pair with tight left boot, I felt like I had!

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Living on a property, I have a Fav Pair of trusty boots that I have been wearing for about 5 yrs. Now my trusty dog also has a shoe fetish, just likes to take a shoe and hide it, usually not a problem, but finally I was missing one of my boots and just could not find it, normally if I tell the dog to go and find my boot, he happily obliges but on this occassion I think his memory must be getting a bit like mine. 

Anyway, off to town for new boots, same shop, same brand, same size, great, that was easy.  Put them on the next morning and they

were the most uncomfortable pair of boots I have ever worn.  Luckily I only had to wear them once, and then the dog returned my old boot.

So the new boots have been sitting in the cupboard for over 12 months, and my old boots are still going strong. 

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

I know that feeling Smiley LOL (I have kinda wide feet, and a small obsession with boots, but it is notoriously difficult to find ones I both like and ones that fit). If I ever grow up and get a real job, I've got my eye on a very nice pair of Solovair's. 

a girl can dream, anyway....

I love it when sellers include either the inner or outer sole measurements in listings, as it makes things so much easier to size-match. 

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Oh, I love good boots!

But my favourite boots are impractical - cute and dressy rather than "I'll follow you down that perilous goat track" rugged and workmanlike. They are a discontinued style by UK Hush Puppies, and look like Victorian dress boots. They're exactly the sort of thing one might wear while daintily walking down Bond Street accompanied by one's maid and a footman who can carry all of the hats and luxury items purchased along the way.

But for a more comfortable and practical boot that is still stylish and beautiful quality, those Solovair boots would be superb! I can imagine riding in their 20 eye Derby Boot, and they have some gorgeous brogues as well.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Good luck with your boots!

I think I am with daydream though and think trying on some boots would be your best bet. If I had a run of luck like that, I'd be inclined to set aside a few hours next time I went shopping, get the names & addresses of a a few good shoe stores beforehand and then hit the shops.

You may not be able to find exactly the brand you want but keep an open mind and there may be other boots out there you will like just as much.

I have bought shoes online but find it is very hit and miss. Last time the new shoes (not from ebay) were a disaster, really, really narrow. I've only got an average foot. I could put them on but not wear them. I'm a bit wary now, prefer to buy some things in person.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

I am a goth at heart, and really like the steampunk aesthetic as well (also with a dash of cyber thrown in there Smiley LOL ), and Docs were a staple of all 3 fashions - Solovair boots have a similar aesthetic, but better rep. I used to want cherry Docs, but I don't trust them now that manufacture has been outsourced to China (so many stories of them falling apart after a short period of use, when their entire name was built on good quality and long lasting wear - they do still make a classic range in the UK, but Solovair still has a much better reputation for lasting a long time, plus they sell replacement soles you can give to your cobbler, and these days I lean much more towards long-lasting quality and practicality, even if at a higher price, over anything else). 

Victorian-era fashion fits into the goth / steampunk aesthetic pretty well, but I'm not really young enough to pull off the full look anymore, so gone are the days I can glavant about in fur-trimmed platforms, or high-heeled knee-high lace-ups for day-to-day wear. Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply