Buying diamonds from new seller with no previous feedback.

I am considering purchasing a fairly expensive product (used diamond earrings) from a seller with 0 feedback.  They appear to be Aussie-based (Melbourne).  It always makes me nervous when they are new members and have no feedback to go by, although I know every member has to start somewhere.  There is a pic of the jeweller's certificate in the listing, but the price is very low and that makes me suspicious.  Is there any way to verify the authenticity of the listing?  Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Buying diamonds from new seller with no previous feedback.

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It is a bit difficult to give an opinion just on the information posted.

Can you give the full title of the listing so some experienced members can have a look for you.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Expensive item+no selling experience=NO

Even if they are legit, if something goes wrong they wont know how to resolve it.

Dont be a guinea pig, its your money

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Could be a scam listing.

Ask yourself, why would someone sell them soooo cheap if they can get more for them ?

Because you are a very nice person, it's your birthday soon and they are hoping you would come along looking for diamond earrings ?

Smiley Frustrated

Usually if it's too good to be true, it is. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@5stargal wrote:

I am considering purchasing a fairly expensive product (used diamond earrings) from a seller with 0 feedback.  They appear to be Aussie-based (Melbourne).  It always makes me nervous when they are new members and have no feedback to go by, although I know every member has to start somewhere.  There is a pic of the jeweller's certificate in the listing, but the price is very low and that makes me suspicious.  Is there any way to verify the authenticity of the listing?  Any thoughts?

In life, and online, I always think trust your gut instinct.

Sounds from your post like its stopping you from purchasing this item.

You may miss out on a bargain, but the alternative is a level of grief that is probably not worth it.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Pretty much as everyone else has suggested, if it seems too good to be true, it generally is.

If there is a picture of a jewellers certification, you could check if the business actually exists and that the details on the cert. match the actual business details.  Not a sure fire guarantee that the cert. (or earrings) are legit, but, may give you more to go on.   

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Even if they have a pic of a valuation, doesn't mean the earrings will be genuine!  ie. they could be CZ earrings with an uploaded valuation for the real diamond earrings. Unless you know your jewellery/or have a friend who is a jeweller and can pick up and inspect the item before handing over money, I would stay away from this! JMHO

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply