Can anyone help me with a search, please?

I used to type in hippo* for searching for all spellings and plurals but now I can't do it 

Is there a search that will still bring up all ways that the animal can be listed?

I can't think what to do.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Can anyone help me with a search, please?

go-tazz
Community Member

You have this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=hippo&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_okw=&_oexkw=&_adv=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=1&_dmd=1&_ipg=200

Or this one,(just refine them with the left hand options):

http://www.ebay.com.au/dsc/i.html?_sadis=200&_ipg=200&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&LH_TitleDesc=1&_sacat=0&_samihi=&_samilow=&_fpos=&_ftrt=901&_udhi=&_oexkw=&_sabdhi=&_ftrv=1&_udlo=&_sabdlo=&_adv=1&_sop=1&_dmd=1&_okw=&_nkw=hippo&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=

They are advanced searches.

Getting rid of the wildcat searches has also made it harder to detect some scam listings,:-(

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Hi bump, maybe because it's friday.

image host
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

eBay got rid of wild card searches recently (apparently, the new search engine is supposed account for variations and misspellings, but it doesn't do it very well..)

The next best option is use google for an advanced search (so you can use the wildcard), and limit results to eBay.au. 

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I am really missing the wild card because somethings just can't be searched properly without it and also you lose the ability for your search to find misspellings.

Thanks tazz, I will use those.

d*g you are lucky ebay didn't tell you to change your ID because they no longer support wildcards. :^O

and I will give the google search a try, I never thought of doing that way.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

d*g you are lucky ebay didn't tell you to change your ID because they no longer support wildcards. :^O

and I will give the google search a try, I never thought of doing that way.

...but, I'm not a wild card, I'm a legendary enchantment! 😮 (Sorry to the majority of the forum members, kind of an "in joke", and probably not very funny either way. :8} ).

I think the wild card works slightly differently on google, so it might take a little 'nuancing', but I hope it's useful. 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

The next best option is use google for an advanced search (so you can use the wildcard), and limit results to eBay.au. 

Well you learn something every day.   Thanks digital, I didn't know that.  🙂

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

If you want to do your own Advanced search just just go there and insert the different spellings and miss spellings of hippo into the first bar and select Any words,any order from the drop down box and click on search.

You can also exclude words by adding them to the Exclude words from your search.

The Title and description can be searched for by ticking the appropriate box.

This one below is the search set for:  hippo,hippos,hippopotamus,hippopotami,hippopotamuses:

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=hippo%2Chippos%2Chippopotamus%2Chippopotami%2Chippopotamuses+&_in_kw=2&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_okw=&_oexkw=&_adv=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=1&_dmd=1&_ipg=200

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply