Can you get Warranties on brand-new GPUs bought on Ebay?

ge_2506
Community Member

Hello. If I were to buy a GPU on ebay marked as "New", would I be able to get the normal warranty associated with a brand-new GPU?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Items on eBay will only have valid warranties if they are being sold by an authorised Australian reseller of the product. Sadly many sellers will claim valid warranties for their items when those warranties are not valid at all.

Edit.    Snap Sandy.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Only if you buy from an authorised seller/re-seller of the brand who is registered in Australia 

A regular seller cannot give any warranty on anything, even of they 'say' warranty on the item description 

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Items on eBay will only have valid warranties if they are being sold by an authorised Australian reseller of the product. Sadly many sellers will claim valid warranties for their items when those warranties are not valid at all.

Edit.    Snap Sandy.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I see.

This seems to suggest that for EVGA cards, they might carry over the warranty. Not sure if you'd know anything about that.

But otherwise, definitely no card can carry over an existing warranty? and I cant buy a new warranty if that's even a thing? (Unless they are an "authorized australian reseller")

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I don't know about "carry over warranties" but I would be very hesitant about buying any electronic goods on-line, unless it was through an authorised seller/reseller as said before. It's really better to buy from a B&M store where you know you'll have a valid warranty.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Trust me, coming to Ebay for a GPU isnt my ideal. But surely you know how things are with GPUs right now- That is why I am considering Ebay.

I appreciate the advice. Thanks. If there's anything else let me know

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

@ge_2506,

I've written various replies to other posters concerning warranty on eBay purchases.

This is one that's probably the best, as it covers the "not genuine" issue, the "not authorised seller" issue, the "not even Australian seller" issue, the "but they promised it was covered by warranty" issue, and the "grey imports/parallel imports" issue.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Just a couple of extra points I thought worth mentioning - there are two types of warranties that can be applied to a purchase - manufacturer warranty, and retailer warranty. 

Manufacturer warranties are the ones that are provided and honoured by the maker or brand - eg Sony provides the manufacturer warranty for Playstations. The reason why these generally won't be honoured if the purchase is not through an authorised retailer, is because the purchase and therefore whether a warranty claim is even valid can't be verified - as a more clear example if you buy a brand new PS5 off the back of a truck (AKA stolen) and it is faulty, why should Sony fix it for free? If it comes from an authorised retailer, the supply chain can be verified and it's clear that everyone who was supposed to made their money, and that it was a purchase that Aus consumer law actually applies to. (On this note, manufacturer warranties can still be dealt with by the retailer, if you ever take an item back to a shop and they say they can't do anything, that you have to contact the manufacturer, while you can do that if you want to, they are shirking their legal obligations). 

Retailer warranties are 100% offered and honoured by the business that sells you an item - often they are selling the warranty, rather than offering it for free, though (eg The Good Guys offering a 5 year warranty on a tv for an extra $100). 

The most important thing to remember about either of these types of warranties is that they are voluntary - no business or manufacturer has to offer them (though they are technically legally obliged to honour them if they do), but consumer guarantees, on the other hand, are mandatory, and most warranties don't offer much (if anything at all) above and beyond what consumer guarantees provide by default. Consumer guarantees apply to purchases from anyone who is carrying on a business in Australia, whether they are a registered business or not, or even located here, but it is a lot easier to enforce them (if it is necessary) if they are a registered business located here, and practically impossible if they are not located here. (i.e.  as already mentioned, the consumer guarantees may as well be non-existant for a business located overseas who doesn't voluntarily honour them). 

The moral of the story is the same, regardless, though - buy expensive items, where warranties / guarantees are an important factor, from reputable Aussie businesses who can't disappear overnight. 

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply