Can you return part of an order and not the full order?

hosm_3357
Community Member

If I buy several of the same item, can I return some of them but not all of them? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Do you mean if the listing is for,  say, 10 items, but you only want 5......then no.

You'll have to buy what quantities you want elsewhere.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

No, if the listing is for one item, and I buy multiple quantities.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

If you buy the number you need, why would you want to return any?

If they are not as described then the whole lot has to be returned for a refund.

If you ask the seller, they may do a partial refund once you return them.

I wouldn't count on it though.

Ebay does not work in partial refunds in INAD cases.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

The only person that can answer this query is the seller.

Send them a message with your question and see what they say, can't hurt to ask.

Suspect the answer will be "no" but still worth a try if your reason is sound, and you approach them politely and in friendly manner.

You will probably have to work out a solution outside of eBay and that could be an issue for them and you.

But If you don't ask you will never know.

Good Luck

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

It's not a stupid question at all, I am sure it is something that has come up for a lot of people.

You'll need to ask the seller.

Ebay is full of all different sellers and just like your local shopping centre, the return policies aren't all the same.

Generally speaking, a seller is under no obligation to accept any return at all unless it is mentioned in the ad. I presume you're talking change of mind returns.

Often on ebay (and other sites), if you want to return a purchase for change of mind, you have to pay the postage.

So here's where your seller would be at: They sold a number of the same items to you, they posted the package, they paid ebay and paypal fees on the sale price.

Now, you would like to return X number of them.

The seller might possibly be willing to accept a partial return, but if they do, you'll have to weigh up the cost of the items against the postage return costs, because I'd imagine the seller won't be willing to pay that. Plus the seller may deduct the fees from the refunded amount.

Plus you won't be getting the refund until after the seller receives the items, so a degree of trust is needed there.

Or the seller may just decide the whole thing is a bit of a minefield and politely decline.

You won't know till you ask, I guess.

But it is an interesting question because as far as I know, ebay is set up for sellers to make partial refunds if items are not as described, but I haven't heard much about partial change of mind returns. I'm not a seller though so not up with the latest, some of the sellers might come on later and give you a better idea.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

on order 05-07140-12893, item231949900671.  can i return qty 1 on this order ?

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply