Car rotisserie, hydraulic press from China, seems WAY too cheap.

There is a seller on ebay with very low feedback (all for lower priced items) who also has listings for auto rotisseries, hydraulic presses and various other stuff I am interested in. The prices are extremely low and I am wondering that if I pay with paypal, is there a way I can lose my money? I would obviously put in a dispute if my item doesn't arrive in 45 days and I would also be paying with paypal using my credit card. The listing also states that it is not covered by ebay purchase protection programs, but this shouldn't affect any paypal coverage yeah?? I realise that this looks way too good to be true, but as long as I'm covered I'd be willing to take a punt.

Anyways, here is the listing.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-Ton-Hydraulic-Shop-Press-Workshop-Garage-Bending-Jack-Tool-Stand-Bear...

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Really, why risk it

Especially when all the warnings for a hijacked account are there

Has not sold anything in more than a year

Now suddenly has 14 of the same item

Only stock photos

Free postage

Personally I would be reporting rather than buying, but I would not be happy to support a likely scammer

I won't even go into the safety aspect of the thing if by any chance it should happen to actually arrive

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

You generally get what you pay for. Cheap is cheap for a reason.

If you buy through eBay you will be eligible for eBay's MBG. However, as the seller is overseas, getting them to pay for return postage (which won't be cheap) could be an issue.

The terms have never been 45 days on eBay. Currently it is 30ish days after last 'estimated' delivery date. Paypal is 180 days from sale date. However you would have to pay for the return. Paypal do offer $45 towards the return postage, but I'm guessing it would cost significantly more than that for a return.

Your choice. I wouldn't touch it with yours, but I'm not you.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks for the answers. I wasn't aware that I'd be up for return postage if the seller sent a wrong item. So is that how this scam works? They send the wrong item completely in the hope that you won't want to pay for return postage and they then get to keep the money?

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Aaaand, lo and behold it looks like they've just copied someone elses ad, word for word...

https://www.wholesalesuperstore.com.au/shop-press-20-ton-hydraulic

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@raffspeed wrote:

Thanks for the answers. I wasn't aware that I'd be up for return postage if the seller sent a wrong item. So is that how this scam works? They send the wrong item completely in the hope that you won't want to pay for return postage and they then get to keep the money?

You will not have to return anything... because you will not receive anything.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Hence another point to my reply

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

@raffspeed wrote:

If they were in Australia, they could issue you with a postage return label, but not if they are overseas.

And more to the point, even if you received the goods (which sounds doubtful if this is a scam account), the sort of stuff you are interested in needs to be a certain quality and super cheap from China doesnt scream quality.

Give it a miss, wide berth, and shop in Aust for those things. They'll be dearer but you'll have a happier end to the transaction, for sure.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Engaging with a scam seller in any way poses more problems than the most obvious ones of "not receiving the item" or "receiving the wrong item".

• The item may be (almost certainly will be) made to substandard specifications of substandard materials, so that it is essentially not fit for purpose - but to your eyes, it would look fine. That's if the item actually ever arrives.
  • The item's poor quality may result in a tragedy. Apart from the risk of damage to property, injury, or loss of life, there is also the issue of none of that being covered by insurance because the product responsible was not to standard and was made of inferior materials, and demonstrably you knew that that was likely at the time of your purchase.
  • If you pay with PayPal, the scammer can send a tracked small/worthless item either to you or a different address so that he has proof of delivery. This has been mentioned on these boards before as having occurred.
  • The scammer can send nothing, and use the usual box of trick to string you along past the time of being able to open a dispute. It sounds as though you're aware of that particular problem and would open a dispute within the appropriate timeframe, so that at least is not an issue. (davewil has corrected the eBay Money Back Guarantee timeframe for you.)
  • The scammer will have your name and address and probably your PayPal email address. That's already enough for some form of identity theft.
  • The scammer will have identified you as being a chancer. You'll take a risk on what seems fairly obviously to be a scam, if you perceive that if things' go pineapple-shapred you'll be able to get back your money. That reveals that you can be taken advantage of through other scams that are designed for just such type of mark.
  • You would probably receive quite a few scamming emails. Many of them will look legitimate and ask you to click onto a link in the body of the official-looking email. Enough said.
  • Even if you don't click on links within emails, some emails can contain code that executes simply upon being read.

• I would suggest - do NOT buy a "too good to be true" item with the idea that you can always get your money back, as though that's the worst result that can happen.
  • Do not engage with scammers at all.
  • Don't reply to scam emails;
      don't open obviously scam emails;
      have robust anti-spam filters and
      have robust mental phishing filters (set up in your own actions, resulting from a state of mind that can weed out listings or offers that are more likely than not to be a scam);
  • and don't look for the cheapest price irrespective of any red flags. Even if the flag just a little bit pink, BE SUSPICIOUS!

And... try to buy Australian. Make sure it is from a reputable company with ABN, subject to Australian consumer laws, authorised sellers of the item you are purchasing, for which you will have the appropriate warranty.

There is a genuine and very appreciable difference between "made in China" but to Australian specifications (under contract to an Australian design for an Australian brand) and 'made in China" in a Chinese factory churning out the unbranded generic stuff without regard for Australian standards.

Some posts that might be of interest to you:

Regulatory compliance marks

Phones (among other items) being sent by Chinese sellers / fake / not to standard

Parallel imports / non-genuine / spoiler / non-existent items

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply