Ebay seller false advertisement of stock available

Hi there,

been watching an item which was priced at $1600, recieved a ebay notification that the price has dropped by $300 and there was a promotional voucher valid for a further 10% off dropping the price down to $1170. so i was quick to make purchase and was so excited

after 1 week of constantly contacting the seller with no response, they got back to me and confirmed they will be sending it out. few days later they NOW claim that the warehouse seemed to have made a mistake and is out of stock. which i ffind hard to believe

is there a way to report this ad for false advertisement? i want to punish the seller as they have horrible communication

thanks

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Ebay seller false advertisement of stock available

ive looked at another seller for the phone ive purchased from REMOVED

other seller being REMOVED and noticed that the description for the phone was IDENTICAL to the one i purchased. checked the history of the REMOVED  and found that they were once REMOVED clearly this is the same people having multiple listings 

is this against TOS?? also reading through the negative reviews and found MULTIPLE people having the same issue i am with their purchases of phones. telling them the same thing they told me

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

As Dave says take the refund, the seller is registered in Hong Kong so any warranty claims are worthless. The seller also has very dubious feedback, 99% for a high-volume seller should ring warning bells for you.

There's also a very good chance the phone will either be fake or refurbished.

Most members here will say to be very wary of any high-volume seller with less than 99.5% feedback.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

@david.nguyen7 wrote:
ive asked them before purchasing whether the phone comes from AUS or Honk Kong.

it comes from their AUS warehouse in MELB

i really am not too fussed about warranty to be honest ive never had any issues with smart phones. ive owned heaps of different phones

@david.nguyen777,

You would be making a mistake if you are "not too fussed about warranty". Phones are one of the most problematic items on eBay, in particular when purchasing from a Chinese seller.

Your seller may well have told you that the phone comes from their "AUS warehouse in MELB", but what they mean by this is the following:

• The phone is not an Australian model.
  • The phone is not being sold by an authorised Australian reseller.
  • The phone is almost certainly not in an Australian warehouse at the time of your purchase.
  • The seller is probably using "just in time fulfillment".
  • The phone is likely to be a fake created in a Chinese factory, possibly even by the same Chinese factory that makes the genuine models - but because it's not made FOR the genuine company/brand, the factory will be using cheaper materials that don't meet the specs, less memory, and the cheapest possible design. (An item made in China for the actual brand is under contract to meet the product specifications and will be subject to quality control, but an item made in China without any such need to meet product specifications will just be churned out at the cheapest possible price without any care about its safety and quality.)
  • The phone may not have the memory that the product specs of the listing state it has.
  • The phone may not function as you expect it to function.
  • The genuine manufacturer/brand will not fix fakes.
  • There's no enforceable warranty and the Chinese seller will not care less about your outrage or tears when the phone breaks down (or you discover it's a fake) as long as the outrage/tears are too late for an eBay dispute or PayPal dispute.
  • If you do lodge a dispute in time, you'll have to return the phone to Hong Kong, by a trackable postage method, and good luck getting back that postage amount.
  • The phone may - if it's a fake and fails to meet Australian safety standards - cause injury to you or another person, or to other goods. You won't be covered by insurance if it is indeed a fake that ipso facto fails to meet Australian safety standards; au contraire, you'll be liable for any damage, injuries, or death.

If the phone is quite a bit cheaper than the same model here in Australia, you're probably looking at a fake.

Just in time fulfillment is explained here.

You can google "just in time fulfillment"; you'll see quite a few logistics companies who provide this.

You may want to look at this thread.

Do you know The Gondoliers, by Gilbert & Sullivan? There's one particular song which has the ducal party swearing that they'll "never never never never never never never never never never never cross the sea again". If you substitute "never never never cross the sea again" with "buy a phone from Chinese eBay sellers again", you'll have a useful and jolly little song to remind you of what one should never never never never do.

Spoiler

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

@david.nguyen7 wrote:
ive asked them before purchasing whether the phone comes from AUS or Honk Kong.

it comes from their AUS warehouse in MELB

i really am not too fussed about warranty to be honest ive never had any issues with smart phones. ive owned heaps of different phones

You must like living dangerously.Smiley Surprised

Take your money & run.

They lie.

You already know they lie. They cancelled this sale but you say they have some of the same ones listed again. Whichever way you twist that, it is dishonest. Either they have some or can get some and lied to you, or else their new listings are false.

For a $1100 purchase, I'd be wanting a proper warranty, but we're all different I suppose.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

For a $1100 purchase, I'd be wanting a proper warranty, but we're all different I suppose.

I'd want a papal encyclical written in gold leaf on silk cloth.Smiley LOL

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

No way I would be spending that much on ebay, especially on what is higjly likely to be a fake, higly likely from overseas (regardless of what the seller might say.....I call horse poo) given the seller has already fibbed and their feedback for constantly doing the same thing

I would say you have been very very lucky so far with your phone purchases if they have been off similar sellers

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply