When will ebay stop overseas sellers listing their products as in Australia when they are based over

When will ebay stop overseas sellers listing their products as in Australia when they are based overseas,?? It is easy to check, click their feedback and then negative feed back and it shows, based in china,singapore,etc. If I can do it why can't ebay?? Totally undermining confidence in the intergraty of ebay listings and unbelievably frustrating.

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: When will ebay stop overseas sellers listing their products as in Australia when they are based

You'd do better to report them to the ATO because the GST isn't being collected on their goods when it should be if they're overseas. There was something mentioned about this a while ago but I can't remember the details.
Message 11 of 37
Latest reply

Re: When will ebay stop overseas sellers listing their products as in Australia when they are based

Asian sellers pretending to be Aussies is in my experience reaching epidemic proportions!

Of my last half dozen purchases, 4  were pretending to be OZ based but turned out to be foreign.

I'd suggest that in future you double check SHIPPING ESTIMATES before buying.

Expedited shipping from say China takes around 10-16 days so if you know that for example Sydney to Melb should take 2-3 business days then smell a rat if the seller is wanting a lot more time than Aussie Post requires for your destination.

Many Asian sellers will have made a gazillion sales so if they have a gazillion sales on their feedback then triple check their pedigree!

And of course read their NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. If an Aussie has been conned by a would be Aussie seller then there should be a clue in feedback.

I have personally had some excellent trades knowingly dealing with sellers from China, Hong Kong etc but in my view if a seller is OK with misrepresenting their location they are also OK with CROOKERY in general, therefore have nothing to do with such buggers!

Message 12 of 37
Latest reply

It is a lot quicker and easier to look at where the seller is registered.

If they are registered in China it is almost certain the items will be shipped from China.

It is not completely foolproof because there are a few Chinese seller who do have warehouse facilities in Australia.

Message 13 of 37
Latest reply

@dodge_ute wrote:

Of my last half dozen purchases, 4  were pretending to be OZ based but turned out to be foreign.

And of course read their NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. If an Aussie has been conned by a would be Aussie seller then there should be a clue in feedback.

Then why haven't you left negs for those sellers to help warn others ??????

Reading a seller's feedback will show their country of registration, that is the best way to see if they are likely to be drop-shipping to Australia.

Edit. G'day lyndal.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 14 of 37
Latest reply

So, apparently, it's not about the money... Smiley Frustrated

"BEIJING (AFX) - The Chinese unit of US online auction service eBay will scrap all sellers' transaction fees from today, amid market pressure from local competitors offering free services, including Yahoo-invested Alibaba.com, the Financial Times reported."

http://shares.telegraph.co.uk/news/article.php?id=1140858&archive=1&epic=EBAY

Message 15 of 37
Latest reply

Trivial comment and of no value to this post lol-Lyndal, all those rubbish purchases my granddaughter recently made were from sellers registered in Hong Kong or China. The actual address on EVERY parcel, without exception, was North St, Botany, NSW or Ermington (I think).

Message 16 of 37
Latest reply

Yes Foxy, that could be right.

More and more Asian sellers are using logistics services to ship goods to Australia in bulk.....there are a number of such services located in Botany that I know of and Ermington also has a large industrial area and an AP distribution centre.

So in part their location as Australia is true....they just leave out the part about the goods having to travel thousands of kilometres to get to the Australian warehouse AFTER you have bought them.

Message 17 of 37
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

Then why haven't you left negs for those sellers to help warn others ??????

So its my job to discipline Ebay members?

Silly me I thought that was Ebay's job.

I was also mistakenly of the view that Feedback was a non compulsory personal judgement call members had to make???

My only excuse my lord was that I was waiting for the transactions to conclude before I left feedback.

Would my lord care to tell me what he would give me permission to write in such feedback?

I remain your humble servant................

Message 18 of 37
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

So, apparently, it's not about the money... Smiley Frustrated

"BEIJING (AFX) - The Chinese unit of US online auction service eBay will scrap all sellers' transaction fees from today, amid market pressure from local competitors offering free services, including Yahoo-invested Alibaba.com, the Financial Times reported."

http://shares.telegraph.co.uk/news/article.php?id=1140858&archive=1&epic=EBAY

Am I right in saying that has been the case since 2006? Australian sellers are well and truly at a disadvantage in terms of calls upon their purse.

The very fact that eBay caved in to the pressure at that time, in order to maintain their presence and gain revenue from other opportunities (advertising, I think?), means that Chinese eBay sellers are already on a different planet with its own playing field. The logistics exercise of having warehouses here with stock shipped out in bulk means that we - by which I mean the Australian consumers - are already enabling the Chinese model of economic routing.

There is probably nothing that can stop this. Australians love a bargain, and continue to buy from Chinese sellers in sufficient numbers to make the giving of feedback and the warnings about item location misrepresentation and the lack of quality control and the unenforceability of warranty just meaningless bird cries in the wind.

Message 19 of 37
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Yes Foxy, that could be right.

More and more Asian sellers are using logistics services to ship goods to Australia in bulk.....there are a number of such services located in Botany that I know of and Ermington also has a large industrial area and an AP distribution centre.

So in part their location as Australia is true....they just leave out the part about the goods having to travel thousands of kilometres to get to the Australian warehouse AFTER you have bought them.

Apparently this is being called "just in time fulfillment", and it's kind of a cross between dropshipping and pre-orders.

Goods don't go direct from the original supplier to the buyer, but to the warehouse, and then to the buyer.

Also apparently, this means that it's not dropshipping or pre-ordering, so the same requiresments don't apply, and saying the item is located in Sydney is ok by ebay because it gets to sydney sooner or later.... Smiley Indifferent

So, if you are ever breaching eBay's rules, I guess that means you can call it something new or different and eBay will just have to say it's ok because they don't have any policies for the new thing. 

Message 20 of 37
Latest reply