Confusion: why does the seller keep blocking higher bids?

I came across this auction of a used camera https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/353737332392?_trksid=p2471758.m4791&autorefresh=true and bid $1200 since the seller said in the description: "Happy to accept an offer of 1200 for anyone interested to purchase."

Then I got blocked ad bid removed automatically. I have no bad records whatsoever but... it's probably OK if someone just doesn't like you. 

However, as I watched this item, I found it got bid to above 1210, and then seller blocked the bidder. My friend bid it to $1200, and got blocked too. So the price soon dropped back to $350, and kept a steady growth of some $50 each day, now at $400.

Could someone introduce me with the common rules in auction? I have been using the auction system for a few times but just used it like Amazon etc., paid for whatever I got, but didn't getting into details of the rules.

Thanks,

Serena

I just don't understand what is happening with this bid, why a camera is worth massive blacklisting, and why bids of above $400 are a bad thing?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@serena-yu wrote:

I just don't understand what is happening with this bid, why a camera is worth massive blacklisting, and why bids of above $400 are a bad thing?

Price anchoring, probably.

The seller scammer is setting a benchmark for the value of the item, and then controlling how high it gets, which will help ensure the winning bidder feel like they've got an absolute bargain, and likely more willing to pay hundreds of dollars outside of eBay's checkout system so they don't miss out on it. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

ATM it has 20 bids topping @ $495...try bidding just above benchmark...see how you go....good luck!

It does NOT have 'make an offer' attached?

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

The seller was selling a high priced item, with 0 feedback. You have more than likely dodged a bullet. It's not unheard of for scammers to create a new account and list high priced item, hoping to scam someone out of their money.

Seriously, be glad you weren't the highest bidder, because scammers have a way of keeping your money. They had also listed other high priced items, like a Rolex watch. Any half decent seller isn't going to list a high valued item with a start bid of 99c. 

Please, breathe a sigh of relief.

Edit, all the seller's items have been ended, so you should be super grateful you didn't get stung.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

As TP has said, you have probably dodged a bullet, new account, 0 feedback. 

The seller was probably hoping for offers outside of ebay, in which case buyers would have no protection.

All listing have now been removed.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Two new listings have appeared now. Different cameras. Interestingly, he's moved from Victoria to NSW in the blink of an eye!!

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

@*sons_and_daughters* wrote:

Two new listings have appeared now. Different cameras. Interestingly, he's moved from Victoria to NSW in the blink of an eye!!

Maybe the borders opened overnight 😂🤣😂🤣

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@serena-yu wrote:

Price anchoring, probably.

The seller scammer is setting a benchmark for the value of the item, and then controlling how high it gets, which will help ensure the winning bidder feel like they've got an absolute bargain, and likely more willing to pay hundreds of dollars outside of eBay's checkout system so they don't miss out on it. 

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply