Coupons never work anymore

I have been an eBay member for over 10 years and have always been able to use codes to save a bit of money here and there. Recently every time I try to add a code they all come back with errors, from ‘this has expired’ to being the ‘wrong code’. For small purchases it’s a bit irritating but over the last month or so I have made some large purchases totalling over $1000 and have been unable to use any kind of discount. One of these ‘wrong code’ errors was a code that was actually directly emailed to me not just sourced from the internet which makes it even more frustrating.

I don’t know what’s going on at eBay headquarters but they are really shooting themselves in the foot trying to recover from their loss of the online monopoly. They advertise sales and discounts but when it comes down to it, i end up spending more money because the discounts don’t work or are exclusive to more expensive listings of the same item. Their focus has shifted to new buy it now commercial retailers rather than what the site was built on of auctions for sellers who don’t already have their own e-commerce setup. And don’t get me stared on sellers fees...

Does anyone have any insight to why discount codes don’t work to what they are advertised to do.
Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

All the discount vouchers that I have used have been fine....as long as the items qualify for that particular voucher.

The only problem I have had is when theoffer finishes early.   A lot of offers have as one of the Terms that the offer is available until xxx date or while it is visible on ebay.au.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Are you using the cart?

The cart will tell you if the code is working before you pay.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Oct 2021 : and be stuffed if I can get *any* of the tens and tens and tens of advertised coupons on many many sites to work at all. Its all a big **bleep**py scam now.

"The internets need to be re-formatted and re-installed again from scratch. This time with some rules put into place."

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@bushy555 wrote:

Oct 2021 : and be stuffed if I can get *any* of the tens and tens and tens of advertised coupons on many many sites to work at all. Its all a big **bleep**py scam now.

"The internets need to be re-formatted and re-installed again from scratch. This time with some rules put into place."

Well if you are reffering to 2019 codes no wonder they aren't working.  

But seriously a re format of the internet, are you serious?

If you are just trying to pickup codes from supposed code sites,  you are wasting your time.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Most external sites indicate coupons that don't work, and not only for eBay, I mean, in general. Or they are useless, like free shipping if you spend more than a certain amount on certain sites when free shipping is the rule when you spend more than a certain amount on those sites.

The only site I look at is www.couponese.com, although it is not 100% accurate either, but better than other sites.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply