Damage to my property

Hi,

I am wondering if there can be anything done about an issue I have...

I purchased an item that was supposed to be 'x' and fit for my own item properly. 

I dropped my item and my item got damaged because the product was faulty and wasn't as it was advertised. 

Now I know I can easily get a refund for the faulty item. But what about the damages, can anything to be done about that or not really?

Thank you

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Damage to my property

The phone case has a fabric on the site that came loose and made me drop my phone. I noticed the case advertised looks completely different on that part and should have been hard and not fabric. 

The phone glass cover was also wrong size, which made the phone screen crack on the corner. But when I think about this the initial fault is in the case?

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

To be totally honest - I think trying to force - and you in all probability tried to fit by effort - two unmatched items - causing damage.

Sorry - square pegs don't go in round holes. 

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

Oh the phone case did fit the phone etc. but it was a flip cover and the top flip part came apart and made me drop the phone while I was holding it.

Anyways, thank you for the messages. Probably won't get anywhere with this besides getting a refund for the cover and protector. That's all.

Just thought to ask 🙂

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

Unfortunately, if I am right about the seller you might have bought the phone case from, low price is usually indicative of low quality... Phone cases are usually much more expensive.

I hope the phone is not totally damaged/dead...

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

I just hope it is not beyond repair - or useable.

Take care.

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

Hi, thank you for messaging.

I just purchased a new phone and thought the case would be protective. Oh well. Now I think it might be better idea having no case at all...

The screen got smashed from the bottom corner. The phone works ok so far.

Very disappointing though.

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

Oh, it must have been even more disappointing if the phone is new... Glad to hear it is still working at least.

You can certainly open a dispute for INAD if the seller does not refund you. It is not much money, but better than nothing.

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

@bedshaped86 wrote:

Hi,

I am wondering if there can be anything done about an issue I have...

I purchased an item that was supposed to be 'x' and fit for my own item properly. 

I dropped my item and my item got damaged because the product was faulty and wasn't as it was advertised. 

Now I know I can easily get a refund for the faulty item. But what about the damages, can anything to be done about that or not really?

Thank you

I wouldn't think there is much you can do beyond getting a refund for the faulty item.

I can understand your frustration if the faulty item caused a bit of an accident and something else was damaged but paypal and ebay guarantees and refunds are only for the actual item you bought and won't cover other expenses.

If you were talking about a very expensive item damaged or a serious injury caused by a faulty item, you might have some comeback with a court case but even then, court cases are expensive and the result isn't guaranteed. From what you have said, I gather we are talking about a small item that would not qualify for this amount of trouble, so basically, just go for the refund and triple check ads when the compatibility of an item is really important. Not all ebay listings are to be trusted.

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

The other question is did you actually purchase the correct cover for your phone,

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

@bedshaped86,

I don't know whether you purchased a brand name case and brand name screen protector, known to be suitable for your model of phone and known to be of high quality, suitably protective... or whether you purchased cheap generic or fake case and screen protector. However, even when purchasing a quality screen protector, such as Moshi or Belkin for instance, the company ❝does not warrant any wear or damage related to the user's device.❞

In spite of that, IF the product has a problem or defect which the supplier could reasonably have foreseen might cause damage to the item with which the product was intended to be used, and that supplier is a registered Australian business, you have certain rights under Australian Consumer Law. If the supplier does not provide compensation or accept responsibility, you can pursue legal action or dispute resolution. Bear in mind that it will be the buyer's responsibility to provide appropriate evidence that:

• the purchased product is intended to be used in a certain way with another item,
  • the purchased product had a problem or defect which is specifically relevant to its use with the item that is now damaged,
  • the damage was caused by the purchased product,
  • the damage was/should have been foreseeable by the supplier,
  • the value of the damaged item is $x (as evidenced with receipts or other proof of purchase price), and
  • the amount required to make you financially whole is $x (keeping in mind depreciation, any previous damage, etc.).

You can read the details here.

If your seller is registered in a country other than Australia, this doesn't apply.

I hope that helps... but really, the best protection for a new phone is getting a screen protector and a case that are manufactured to the highest standards possible to protect your expensive device. I always get an Moshi Airfoil Glass Screen Protector, and a Piel Frama case, but you needn't do that. Apple cases are of the required quality, and ditto for Belkin screen protectors.

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply