Defective item and unresponsive seller

z_i_r_o
Community Member

I bought a brand new mobile phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note S9) about 3 months ago. The phone worked really well, but suddenly it broke (stop charging, can't switch on anymore).

The mobile phone itself looks still brand new, not a single scratch, I had barely used it and sure enough, I haven't dropped or anything. In my opinion, it is clear that the warranty should cover, but the seller stops replying and also took all his items from eBay (it seems he is not selling anymore... even being a pro seller since 2016).

How can I get support here? this frankly looks like a scam: selling low-quality technology and then disappearing when things get ugly. I wouldn't complain if buying from a random guy, but this seller has 4 years on eBay and 98,7% votes... what am I missing?

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Defective item and unresponsive seller

Help > Chat with us > Returns & Refunds > Return an item for a refund > Start conversation.
This triggers a bot. The bot ask a few questions and says I should contact PayPal... I did not buy with PayPal, but I try contacting regardless because Kafka. They throw another bot at me 😕
Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

Live chat uses real people, not bots.

The people do, however, read from cheat sheets and generally don't know much about how eBay operates, except for simple questions.

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

@z_i_r_o wrote:

Help > Chat with us > Returns & Refunds > Return an item for a refund > Start conversation.
This triggers a bot. The bot ask a few questions and says I should contact PayPal... I did not buy with PayPal, but I try contacting regardless because Kafka. They throw another bot at me 😕

You are wasting your time since you didn't pay with Paypal (unless as a guest with your CC through Paypal). Your only option as said before by Dave is a chargeback through your credit card......................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

@z_i_r_o wrote:

It looks like eBay has introduced a "chat" option similar to PayPal's, where you don't actually get a live response from a person, they just throw back policy and / or help pages based on the keywords in your inquiry.

It also looks like which option they provide a member is based on something as yet undetermined. I used this account to go through the help motions, and got this:

start conversation.PNG

Clicking the "Learn more" link makes the window in the spolier box below pop up, which explains you're not chatting live with anyone, but you should get a response from a rep to your eBay inbox at some point Smiley Frustrated

Spoiler
learn more.PNG

So, I went through the same motions via the help and chat with us pages, this time using my seller account and selecting a seller issue I need help with, and I get this option instead of the previous one - this makes it very clear this option will mean I speak to an agent in real time, so if you want to speak to an actual eBay rep, it may be worth selecting different help topics until you arrive at the screen below:

start chat.PNG

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

@z_i_r_o wrote:

Thanks!

I'm not in Spain but Australia, I create my eBay account years ago, when living there in Spain, moved here 5 years ago.

I'm checking my cc protection, but they don't seem to have anything for warranties (only phishing and those things).

How can I contact eBay? the reason why I posted here in the first place is that I couldn't find a way to contact eBay: you keep going around from one link to another, not really hitting any form or anything other than "figure it out with the seller"...

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you jhaven't had any success yet. I can understand your frustration. I can no longer see the seller or the listing so it's obviously dropped off. I'd say to do what digital ghost has suggested. I'd also try and convince your credit card people that you have fallen victim to a scam. If the seller has disappeared and is not replying to you then it is possibly a scam. Forget how long the seller was trading for and just concentrate on your issue. The seller could have been selling defective / non genuine items. The fact that they're not replying to you could indicate scam. Would your credit card people look at it that way if you could convince them you were deliberately sold a dud item?

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

@z_i_r_o wrote:

I bought a brand new mobile phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note S9) about 3 months ago. The phone worked really well, but suddenly it broke (stop charging, can't switch on anymore).

The mobile phone itself looks still brand new, not a single scratch, I had barely used it and sure enough, I haven't dropped or anything. In my opinion, it is clear that the warranty should cover, but the seller stops replying and also took all his items from eBay (it seems he is not selling anymore... even being a pro seller since 2016).

How can I get support here? this frankly looks like a scam: selling low-quality technology and then disappearing when things get ugly. I wouldn't complain if buying from a random guy, but this seller has 4 years on eBay and 98,7% votes... what am I missing?

OK, this is a long shot, but here goes anyway. Even if this isn't the issue with your phone, it could help other people that have charging issues. Is the connection port on the phone a USB-C connection? They are an oval shape connector, rather than the standard universal connector. If it's a USB-C, grab a torch and have a look in the connection socket. Is it clean?

A lot of people have issues with USB-C phones not charging after awhile, or have difficulties doing so. The charger will plug in, but if you move it even a mm, it stops charging. Grab a fine wooden or plastic toothpick (nothing metal) and run it around the outer part of inside the port. See if it lifts any fluff out. The issue that people have is that keeping phones in their pocket, or bag, little bits of fluff build up and build up, until it gets to the point the charger can't make contact to charge. It can happen within a few weeks, it could take a year, depending on your phone and how you carry it. Each time the charger is plugged in, the bits of fluff get more and more compressed. Then next time the charger is plugged in, new bits of fluff get compressed in there.

If you plug the charger in, does it give a bit of a click when you put it in? If you plug it in, can you pick the phone up by the charging cable without the phone falling off? If you answer no to either of those, then there's a good chance you have charging port fluff. 

Mr Tippy's phone is only 2 years old. A Samsung with a USB-C charging port. For probably the last 18 months he's complained about charging issues. Recently, it got to the point where it was nigh on impossible to charge. In fact, it was impossible. We were all set to go and buy a new phone. Instead, I did a google search (for why is USB-C so bad) and found this fluff issue. I am not joking, from that small charging port, I cleaned out enough compressed fluff to cover a 10c piece. Now, the charger "clicks" in and the phone can be picked up by the cable and not fall off. Most importantly, it charges!

I can send you a link to the YouTube video I found about charger fluff if you're not sure what I'm on about.

Certainly worth looking at to see if that's the issue. If not, as someone else said, file a bank chargeback on your credit card.

Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

I will always cherish the term "charger fluff". Thank you, tippy*toes. These are difficult days for me, and even a momentary chuckle helps me to survive the day.

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

I will always cherish the term "charger fluff". Thank you, tippy*toes. These are difficult days for me, and even a momentary chuckle helps me to survive the day.

It definitely has a cachet to it.

Stay strong.

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

I'm glad it made you smile. Are you ok?

Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

319607_172222766188665_737029218_n.jpg

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 20 of 21
Latest reply