Deluded Seller Flogging Off New $5 Notes

I was just checking out what people are selling the new $5 notes for, to see how optimistic some people are (and there are some very optimistic ones out there!). I came across a seller selling a run of 100. I looked at the price and thought he was a nutter. $125 for 100 $5 notes. Then I looked at the postage. $500. His reason, part of the price is built into the postage that helps keep the price low. I'm thinking someone hasn't worked out that they get hit for fees on postage. I think someone is in for a rude shock when their eBay bill comes in.

I feel like telling him but he's got over 300 feedback as a seller, you'd think he'd have worked it out by now.

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Deluded Seller Flogging Off New $5 Notes

Yes didawaywith I agree not all sellers on ebay are sharks but there are some in ebay though like everywhere else.

I am aware that the selling of coins & notes are a very profitable business, I have bought enough of them to realize that.

But I am not a seller I am just a collector investor.

Every seller likes to make a profit and every buyer likes to get a bargain but at the end of the day it is up to every buyer what they are prepared to pay for something.    

Message 11 of 31
Latest reply

Ok you're a collector and one day you will be a seller.

I'm both.

And then you would know that it's best to buy from the mint if you can,but they only have a limit and once sold out the only

way to buy is from others (coin dealers) that sell them.

Obviously these dealers are out to make a profit who isn't.

If you're after a bargain then bid on auctions and you might get a bargain (not always) as I have seen auctions fetch more

than BIN lol.

And yes like everything it's only worth what you're willing to pay for it, and buyers are willing to pay that's for sure.

When I sold I listed as auctions so it was upto the bidders what they wanted to pay,I found that way was the best as I knew

I would always get a price I was after anyway,which made both parties happy Woman Very Happy

Message 12 of 31
Latest reply

@didawaywith wrote:

Ok you're a collector and one day you will be a seller.

I'm both.

And then you would know that it's best to buy from the mint if you can,but they only have a limit and once sold out the only

way to buy is from others (coin dealers) that sell them.

Obviously these dealers are out to make a profit who isn't.

If you're after a bargain then bid on auctions and you might get a bargain (not always) as I have seen auctions fetch more

than BIN lol.

And yes like everything it's only worth what you're willing to pay for it, and buyers are willing to pay that's for sure.

When I sold I listed as auctions so it was upto the bidders what they wanted to pay,I found that way was the best as I knew

I would always get a price I was after anyway,which made both parties happy Woman Very Happy

Yes, you can, especially when there's a voucher involved! I was watching an auction for a bundle of consec new $5 notes. When I checked 5 minutes before auction end it was up to $53. Then it went to $54. I thought there would have been some last second bidders, but there wasn't. I placed a bid of $64 (it was free postage, so happy to go a little higher). The cheapest BIN was $66 I think, plus postage. I got them for $62.50. Take off the $20 for using the app and I got them for less than face value! Even if I bought them to spend, I'd still come out in front!

Some people must have outlayed a fortune on their stock. I saw some that were runs of 10, all the with same serial number and consec prefixes. I wouldn't have thought they'd have so many prefixes this early on.

Message 13 of 31
Latest reply

Good grief.

I got one in my change today. I admired it, we all had a look, then i spent it 5 minutes later on a chocolate pack. Hahndorf chocs so at least quality for my moneySmiley Happy, but I had no idea they were worth anything except.. $5.

Message 14 of 31
Latest reply

I doubt you'd get more than $5 if they're not UNC.

Message 15 of 31
Latest reply

didawaywith  I buy from both the Mint and on ebay but NO I don't think I will EVER be a seller.

My purchases of Stamps,Coins & Notes are an investment for my Daughter, I am investing in her inheritance.

Like you I have also seen some auctions go past a BIN price too and I think to myself why do some individuals continue to bid for Smiley Surprised I can only put it down to they either get caught up in the thrill of the auction or they really want the item no matter what they have to pay for it, probably a bit of both.    

Message 16 of 31
Latest reply

I got over $4 for a circulated 2011 10c piece that I got from Coles, strange things can happen on eBay. ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 17 of 31
Latest reply

Should have put the number on Money Tracker and sent it around the country. ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 18 of 31
Latest reply

That's because the 2011 10c is the scarcest/rarest coin.

A Proof/Mint condition 2011 10c coin is valued at $85+

Message 19 of 31
Latest reply

10c - 1986, 1987, 1996 are also scarce.

image host
Message 20 of 31
Latest reply