Dodgy Practice

I found an item I wanted yesterday at a price I was happy to pay.  Cost AUD$15.45 ex UK.

I hit BIN and suddenly it's coming from the USA for AUD$34.97.  So I didn't buy it.

On the Answer Centre yesterday I was told that a revision was made buy the company yesterday, but surely if you Buy the item, that she be the price you pay NOT have it doubled after you've hit the Buy button.. 

It's a dodgy practice at the very best - more than likely actually illegal, and ebay should get something done about it.

So don't get caught out buy these scammers.

Luckily I was quick enough to notice.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dodgy Practice

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I would be interested to see the actual listing.  Are you sure that you were looking at the listing on ebay AU?

I have dealt with that seller quite extensively and never had a problem.

Their shipping can be a bit slow but it has always been as per the listing.....as their ID says, it is 10 to 20 days shipping on a lot of items.

Most items have always arrived very promptly after shipping.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Dodgy Practice

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I would be interested to see the actual listing.  Are you sure that you were looking at the listing on ebay AU?

I have dealt with that seller quite extensively and never had a problem.

Their shipping can be a bit slow but it has always been as per the listing.....as their ID says, it is 10 to 20 days shipping on a lot of items.

Most items have always arrived very promptly after shipping.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Dodgy Practice

I've bought from them too.   Not a problem at all

I'd like to see an item number as well

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Dodgy Practice

@dbbooks wrote:

I found an item I wanted yesterday at a price I was happy to pay.  Cost AUD$15.45 ex UK.

I hit BIN and suddenly it's coming from the USA for AUD$34.97.  So I didn't buy it.

On the Answer Centre yesterday I was told that a revision was made buy the company yesterday, but surely if you Buy the item, that she be the price you pay NOT have it doubled after you've hit the Buy button.. 

A seller can revise an item at any time, and the changes take effect immediately. It's not dodgy to make changes to prices, sometimes it's necessary and it would seem in this particular case, the timing was unfortunate (for you). It's not like the seller would be able to sit at their computer and know when to submit price changes in order to catch someone out like that. The changes are either a slow, manual process, or all done automatically via file exchange (and in any case, a seller has no idea when someone is looking at - or in the process of buying - their item). 

If a buyer confirms a purchase for a certain price, then it doesn't matter what revisions the seller makes, the listing and price remains as it was at the point of sale, and point of sale occurs once the second confirmation is submitted, so it's always possible revisions could be submitted right up until that point.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Dodgy Practice

Iwanted to see the actual listing again in order to take a screen shot. Obviously it was too late.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Dodgy Practice

I understand your comments about timing of revisions and that it appears the one that happened the very momennt I bought was just a COINCIDENCE (oh yeah!)

BUT...

If a buyer confirms a purchase for a certain price, then it doesn't matter what revisions the seller makes, the listing and price remains as it was at the point of sale, and point of sale occurs once the second confirmation is submitted, so it's always possible revisions could be submitted right up until that point.

They should not be able to change the price once the item has been selec ted..  Thatt's what's DODGY and ebay should DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Dodgy Practice

@dbbooks wrote:

They should not be able to change the price once the item has been selec ted..  Thatt's what's DODGY and ebay should DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

If I understand your first post correctly, you hadn't 'selected' it at the time the revision was made. Perhaps you were looking at the listing and seeing the $15~ price, but therein lies the rub - you were looking. When you clicked "buy it now" the price had obviously already changed, so the details updated on the next screen, enabling you to confirm for sure at the currently listed price, and you were in a position to decline that price. I understand why that would be disappointing and/or frustrating, but it's not like it's an intentional thing. 

In order to be able to facilitate what you are suggesting, eBay would need to provide a way to basically deactivate any listing that is currently being edited, which could be feasible, but maybe it's not (I don't know, I'm not a programmer).

As it stands, a seller can either end an item and relist, in the process losing all of their sales history - which is actually important (and, if they had done that, instead of clicking "buy it now" and seeing a new price, you would have clicked "buy it now" and seen "this item is no longer available" instead, then a minute or two later a note would have appeared saying "the seller has relisted this item or one like it - view relisted item" and then seen the new price, thus leaving you in exactly the same situation), or activate the out of stock feature, edit it so that it shows as 0 available, submit that to the site, go back in and edit again for all the other changes, then submit to the site again - a convoluted process is ever there was one, just to try and avoid frustrating someone who may be going through the process of buying something.  

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Dodgy Practice

There's a SIMPLE answer.  If you advertise a price you cannot UP that price by revising.  If you have mistakenly advertised, then DELETE your ad and start again.  That way this won't happen again!

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Dodgy Practice

@dbbooks wrote:

There's a SIMPLE answer.  If you advertise a price you cannot UP that price by revising.  If you have mistakenly advertised, then DELETE your ad and start again.  That way this won't happen again!

From what you have said in the OP it seems that the seller can indeed increase the price by revising the listing.

There does not have to be a mistake for a seller to revise a price, or any part of the listing.  They can do it for any reason at all or no particular reason.

There is no need for a screenshot...just an item number would be great.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Dodgy Practice

I have just re-read the OP and I think I can see what might have happened.

That seller has warehouses all over the world....UK, USA and New Zealand that I know of.

As the listing suddenly changed currencies and location I would hazard a guess that they were out of stock of the item in the original listing and have substituted an item from another warehouse in another country.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply