Does this new seller look legitimate?

Hi, I'm interested to buy an item from a seller with a zero feedback score but am concerned about the possibility of it being a scam.

Seller ID says joined ebay March this year. No history but now selling 4 items from same manufacturer as 'used' (although all 4 look new). Seller location ? New Zealand. Item location Sydney Australia.  All 4 items were listed within a few minutes of each other which suggests the seller knows their way around Ebay. 

It's ringing alarm bells, but could be legitimate with the seller having recently moved to Sydney.

Thanks

Cuppa

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Does this new seller look legitimate?

nope, I wouldn't touch it.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

The items definitely look used to me. They are marked and one appears to have red paint on it. The seller may have picked them up at a builders or government auction and is reselling them. Personally I would probably be game to take a punt, ( they look cheap enough if the brand is good quality ) paying with paypal. If it all goes pear shaped you can always put in a claim. Ebay is very supportive of buyers with problems.

A lot of these items are made by the Chinese now and are very cheap new, so check the new price and manufacturers quality if bidding.

If your tolerance for ebay problems is low and you dont need the worry and hassle just move on and buy from some-one else.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

I'd give it a go, scammers don't usually offer pick up

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks for your thoughts folks.

I wrote to the seller & got the following response which combined with what has been written here makes me think the seller is legit.

They are indeed  'high end' units & I think I'll give it a whirl & hope I don't need to resort to ebay protection. 

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

No MBG or Paypal protection on pick-up items if you're doing a pick-up on them.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

But the seller is offering "try before you buy" so doesn't seem to be worried that the buyer may decide not to buy.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Yep, saw that lyndal but I thought the OP should be aware of the Paypal MBG thing with pick-ups, in that once you walk away with it it's too late to have second thoughts.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

The seller is also offering postage and the items are currently cheap enough.  I would be taking a chance if it was an item I wanted.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

I will be buying by post, not pick up, & if successful paying via Paypal so should be protected if the item doesn't show up or if it doesn't work I guess.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply