Doing a return - Seller has different return addresses

Hi, I just bought a media player that turned out to be not as described. Thing was bricked and seller has agreed (reluctantly) to a return. 

In the returns process info from eBay it gives me an address to return it to. When I look at the packaging he sent it in, it has a different return address on it.  I have asked for clarification but he has yet to respond to me. 

If I send it to an address other than the one eBay gives me will I be covered?  What if his info is out of date?  Does he have grounds to dispute receiving it if he doesn't get it because I sent it to an out of date address.

I'm worried sick because it's a large amount of money I can't afford to be out of pocket and he's giving me a really bad vibe.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I would only ever open INAD in paypal, the whole eBay thing confuses the hell out of me.

But, as you have already opened in eBay, only send to the eBay return address I would think.

As far as I know, the seller has to pay return postage now, so you need to ask them for a return label I think? that way they have paid for it up front, and the onus is on them to have provided the correct address.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable than I will be along shortly.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Providing you paid with paypal, lodge a dispute with them, and they will give you the registered details that the seller has with them. Don't send the item anywhere until paypal instruct yo to do so. That could be a trap that you could fall into, by following the seller's request, and they don't recieve the item, and you never get your money;. Do it through paypal, just hope thats how you paid.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks for the replies, Yes I did pay with paypal.

Can I open a dispute through paypal once I have started the returns process through eBay? 

I guess if he gets back to me with any adress other than the one eBay gave me I will notify him that I can only send it to that address as per eBay policy.  

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Sorry. Don't seem to be able to edit my posts. Have to add on instead.

Looked at doing it the paypal way. Got the message that "You've already opened this dispute through eBay" and that I need to continue it through them. 

If that's  the case and Paypal is already aware of it I'll assume that the address details are probably cross linked as well. Seems like the ebay address is the go. 

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Had the exact same happen to me, send it to the return address provided by ebay, send with tracking and sod. All will be good.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Once you open an ebay or Paypal dispute that is it, win or lose you cannot open another one. If the seller is found to be at fault then ebay say the seller should pay the postage but if they haven't ordered that then other than ringing them up and asking why the seller isn't paying for the return of a faulty item you will just have to send it to the address given to you by ebay and make sure you use signature on delivery.

If you funded the payment with a credit or Visa debit card then if you don't get your refund you can always ask your bank to do a chargeback although you would still need to have the proof that you sent it back

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The 'bad vibe' tells me this is the old drop shipping problem where e.g ususally an asian, cousin also sends goods that come from a base address, or even China. Ebay is aware and modernised. Take it back to e.g postshop. They print z label, give you a receipt and you notify ebay which pays you the refund. All, forget the fluff, huff 'n puff the sellers write. Been on eBay since it started. They WILL perform.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply