Dress was advertised as BNWT but is not new and has been used and has stains

I purchased a dress advertised as BNWT. The dress arrived and I can see that the tags have been re-attached. The lining of the dress has large yellow stains to both underarm pits, and another large yellow stain to the front of the lining. Clearly the dress has been worn and is not new. I paid $60 + postage for the dress. I do like the dress and I would like to keep it and try to remove the stains myself. But it is not BNWT it is used and so I'd like to know what partial refund amount is reasonable for me to ask for? I was thinking one third of the BNWT price, so $20 refund as the dress is used. Does $20 seem a reasonable amount?

Message 1 of 80
Latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

Re: Dress was advertised as BNWT but is not new and has been used and has stains

My local dry cleaner charges from $25-$40, depending on dress length, material and if it needs any extra work to get marks out.

Message 71 of 80
Latest reply

Re: Dress was advertised as BNWT but is not new and has been used and has stains

@4channel wrote:

With what the OP has suggested to the seller, I just see her being proactive, trying to get a good solution and possibly taking advantage of a bad situation to improve it where the outcome both benefits both buyer and seller. The advantage to the OP is obvious. A partial refund for an item that took time (Time out of her life) to find that compensates her for this as well as the disappointment is very fair. If the stains can come out without damaging the item then bonus. If not, OP made a good effort.

---------------------------

Just to clarify, I don't think kidsgalore had actually approached the seller at the time of making the post. She was more asking for advice about it and if a $20 partial refund would be fair.

From what others have said, it seems her feedback is now on private but I did look at it a few days ago. My impression was that as a buyer she mainly gave positive feedback and mainly received positive feedback. The most recent negative seller comment (couched as positive feedback) was that she was a scammer trying to cheat them out of money because she asked about local pick up. Then later there was a comment she kept a garment close to a month before claiming it was INAD.

Her main problem was her feedback as a seller, which was appalling with just about every comment on the first page a neg, but to be fair, I believe that feedback was from quite some time ago, maybe as long ago as 8 years.

I don't get the impression she would be an abusive buyer in terms of her language or communication.

The idea of a partial refund is one that has been around on ebay for years, as far as I am aware. I think sometimes it suits the seller as it can be a cheaper alternative than paying to have an item returned and then reselling.

And I see this current purchase as one where the garment definitely was not as described so kidsgalore should be entitled to a refund in full upon return of the garment.

To me, the main thing kidsgalore has done wrong in this transaction is to be thinking she herself should broach the idea of a partial refund and suggest to the seller just what that amount should be. 

It looks as if this actually breaches ebay policy. I know that if I were selling, I'd resent getting a message from a buyer telling me an item was not as described and in the same breath telling me what amount I had to refund them. 

If I were the seller in this case and someone could supply clear photos of sweat stains etc on an item I had sold as BNWT, I would immediately ask if they would like to return for a full refund or would they be interested in a partial refund of x amount. 

But that offer needs to come through the seller, so if I were kidsgalore I would just write politely to the seller and mention I loved the dress but was disappointed to see the sweat stains (with photos supplied) and wanted to let them know it definitely was not new as described. Then wait for seller reaction and take it from there.

Message 72 of 80
Latest reply

Really - given the ' description ' of the staining - it begs the question of how a seller could possibly miss this.

Just how????????

large yellow stains to both underarm pits, and another large yellow stain to the front of the lining.

And depending on how long ago the purchase was made - whose sweat is it.

Sorry - but from what I have read - integrity is very much in question here.

Message 73 of 80
Latest reply

@springy, 

I have a great deal of respect for you Springy, you are alway calm and collected. The ying to my yang 😉

….. and that’s admirable….. 

I, on the other hand, have seen full well what cheats, liars, scammers, deceptive personalities and abusers can do to people…… and believe me when I say, the old saying that a leopard never changes  its spots, IS TRUE!!! 

I don’t know where you get the 8yrs from, but I don’t think it was that long ago. 
But the more recent neg feedback with green dots…. Indicates to me, that kidsgalore hasn’t changed her spots at all. 

I absolutely hate liars, and bluntly refuse to deal with them. She has DELIBERATELY avoided showing us the listing, at all costs! Nothing to hide hey???? 

Nope. Not fooling this little black duck! 

But that’s ok…. You keep sticking up for her. It’s what you do, mate 😘

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 74 of 80
Latest reply

I wonder if this is merely a case of "wardrobing", where someone will buy a garment for an event. Event happens, no longer need garment (because you couldn't possibly wear the same outfit again, oh the horror!), so we'll claim not as described to get a refund. If this was genuine, then the OP would be providing photos to the group to judge for themselves. Instead, they are now hiding behind their private feedback.

Message 75 of 80
Latest reply

.. .. .. ..

@4channel wrote:

With what the OP has suggested to the seller, I just see her being proactive, trying to get a good solution and possibly taking advantage of a bad situation to improve it where the outcome both benefits both buyer and seller. The advantage to the OP is obvious. A partial refund for an item that took time (Time out of her life) to find that compensates her for this as well as the disappointment is very fair. If the stains can come out without damaging the item then bonus. If not, OP made a good effort.

---------------------------

@springyzone wrote:

Just to clarify, I don't think kidsgalore had actually approached the seller at the time of making the post. She was more asking for advice about it and if a $20 partial refund would be fair.

From what others have said, it seems her feedback is now on private but I did look at it a few days ago. My impression was that as a buyer she mainly gave positive feedback and mainly received positive feedback. The most recent negative seller comment (couched as positive feedback) was that she was a scammer trying to cheat them out of money because she asked about local pick up. Then later there was a comment she kept a garment close to a month before claiming it was INAD.

Her main problem was her feedback as a seller, which was appalling with just about every comment on the first page a neg, but to be fair, I believe that feedback was from quite some time ago, maybe as long ago as 8 years.

I don't get the impression she would be an abusive buyer in terms of her language or communication.

The idea of a partial refund is one that has been around on ebay for years, as far as I am aware. I think sometimes it suits the seller as it can be a cheaper alternative than paying to have an item returned and then reselling.

And I see this current purchase as one where the garment definitely was not as described so kidsgalore should be entitled to a refund in full upon return of the garment.

To me, the main thing kidsgalore has done wrong in this transaction is to be thinking she herself should broach the idea of a partial refund and suggest to the seller just what that amount should be.

It looks as if this actually breaches ebay policy. I know that if I were selling, I'd resent getting a message from a buyer telling me an item was not as described and in the same breath telling me what amount I had to refund them.

If I were the seller in this case and someone could supply clear photos of sweat stains etc on an item I had sold as BNWT, I would immediately ask if they would like to return for a full refund or would they be interested in a partial refund of x amount.

But that offer needs to come through the seller, so if I were kidsgalore I would just write politely to the seller and mention I loved the dress but was disappointed to see the sweat stains (with photos supplied) and wanted to let them know it definitely was not new as described. Then wait for seller reaction and take it from there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a seller the OP may not have been a well organized seller. Some people just don't do well there. So if that's the case then in one area she doesn't do well. She may be good at other stuff, cooking, educating others about life's hurdles, helping folk etc., who knows?

There are some people here who do not give others a fair hearing. You've had to correct someone years ago who attacked me by trawling through my feedback to get some dirt on me.  So, this OP, namely *kidsgalore* has now made her FB private! Well, I don't wonder!

Sometimes a certain clique deliberately push the emotional buttons of a person to get the answer they want.  Then they have their opportunity to pounce on that person because of that.

QUOTE: "

thinking she herself should broach the idea of a partial refund and suggest to the seller just what that amount should be.

It looks as if this actually breaches ebay policy."

Well, I wasn't aware that suggesting to seller a partial refund was against policy. I have been a member here for 2 decades almost. Yeah, news to me! Most times, sellers have suggested a partial refund to me. Due to the rare items I purchase and the obscurity of them, they are often over-graded.  I have discovered in recent years that there's a reason for this and that this is deliberate to attract more buyer. After dispatch and subsequent receipt of item, they deal with the issue of the unsatisfied customer. They initiate the offer of a part refund as the buyer has accepted the goods and they know they have them in a position to negotiate. 

Anyway, I'm sure the OP didn't know about this policy.

Well, your post makes sense springyzone.  Yes, take it from there is the best way.  Perhaps seller will offer discount.

Message 76 of 80
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

Really - given the ' description ' of the staining - it begs the question of how a seller could possibly miss this.

Just how????????

large yellow stains to both underarm pits, and another large yellow stain to the front of the lining.

---------------------

I totally agree with you.

If I as a seller listed an item as BNWT, I would be horrified if I found out it had sweat stains like that.

I don't think it would have happened with any item we sold because under the arms is the first place you'd look.

We're told the stains were on the inside lining and not on the outside of the frock.

All the same, it would smack of careless checking on the part of a seller.

That's why I have said that if the facts are as presented by the OP, she would be entitled to a return and refund.

The reason I said kidgalore's bad seller feedback could be from as long ago as 2014 is when I was reading the negs, one in the middle of all the negs had a 2014 date on it or mentioned it in feedback. I think a buyer wrote something such as 'paid on XX Jan 2014 and still not received by such and such a date 2014."

So I think some of the negs go back to then but of course I couldn't say about all of them as I don't know for sure.

Message 77 of 80
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

As a seller the OP may not have been a well organized seller. Some people just don't do well there. So if that's the case then in one area she doesn't do well. She may be good at other stuff, cooking, educating others about life's hurdles, helping folk etc., who knows?

OMG - just OMG.

Message 78 of 80
Latest reply

@janeababe wrote:

But that’s ok…. You keep sticking up for her. It’s what you do, mate 😘

-----------------

Not really sticking up for her.😁

Just that I think  if she opens an ebay claim, she will win it.

All the neg feedback as a seller, although interesting, is probably not relevant as such to the question asked as to partial refund. 

The feedback as a buyer is more relevant and I wish i had read it up in more detail now as I only looked at a couple of pages, but my impression was I have seen much worse as on the whole, most feedback was positive, although there has been one other instance where she had INAD on a garment later into the month after it arrived, not claimed immediately.

Despite all that though, I suspect that if she takes photos of the stains and opens an ebay claim, ebay would probably refund her. That's unless she has a heavy history of making similar claims, in which case they might knock her back. But if she has privately negotiated partial refunds a lot in the past (and that seems to be what other members suspect her of?) then that might not show to ebay reps, in which case she would still be likely to win her claim.

If this is a false claim as someone suggested, probably the best course would be for the seller to wait for a claim to be officially opened and then refund & pay for return postage before ebay had to step in. That way at least it is on the records.

I know from my own experience (as a seller) some time ago though, we were in a similar position where someone wanted a partial refund but provided fuzzy pictures that showed nothing. It went against the grain but in the end we made a partial refund on the basis it was the least money losing option.

There are a lot of things that could have happened.

Kidsgalore may have lied about the condition of the garment and have done the damage herself.

Or she may simply have exaggerated the faults out of all proportion.

Or she may have been 100% truthful about this transaction.

Whatever-I think the inevitable fact is she is likely to win an ebay claim if she opens one. A partial refund, that's not such a sure thing.

Message 79 of 80
Latest reply

Hi all

Given that:

• this thread has been marked as "solved"
  • the OP has not returned for almost a week
  • there is still a degree of interpersonal commenting

it has now been closed to further comment.

eBay Moderation Team

Message 80 of 80
Latest reply