Drop Shipping eBay sellers damaging customer trust

The number of drop shippers on eBay is increasing and I am finding them to be inattentive, careless and completely lacking in customer support.  Recently I had to purchase an item from 3 different sellers before receiving the correct, advertised one. The drop ship sellers made no apology for their error, one not responding at all (relying on eBay automated return) and another sent rote replies that did not apply to my situation. The whole process took more than 2 months and I would have been better off purchasing somewhere other than eBay. Perhaps in future I will.

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

So you are saying

The listing did not state the seller used dropshipping

You checked the seller's feedback before buying

There was nothing in the feedback from buyers who had problems with dropshipping

You saw the estimated delivery date each time, and had no issue with it

You opened item not as described disputes and followed through with them each time

You have been on eBay 20 years, more than long enough to know basics like the above

Please do buy elsewhere, buyers who choose to keep buying from dodgy sellers (helping them stay in business) and then complain about it, blaming everyone else) are the main reason this happens so often

eBay don't read the member to member forum by the way, as you seem to think

And most members here are well aware to check who we are buying from and not to buy from sellers with clear red flags

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

If you had bothered to check their feedback,  you wouldnt have purchased in the first place.

It is bad buyers like you who support and encourage sellers who have bad feedback.

Did you know that if people stop buying from these questionable sellers, they are out of business.

Stop supporting them,

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

@sugar249 wrote:

If you had bothered to check their feedback,  you wouldnt have purchased in the first place.

It is bad buyers like you who support and encourage sellers who have bad feedback.

Did you know that if people stop buying from these questionable sellers, they are out of business.

Stop supporting them,

I understand where you are coming from and normally I'd agree but I went and had a look at mmshopping's neg/neutral feedback sellers, or the latest two in any case.

Both were based in Australia and had ratings of 99.3%.

One was labelled as 'one of ebay's most reputable sellers, consistently delivers outstanding service.'

Both had sales in the tens of thousands (which to me doesn't necessarily signal quality goods, just a high turnover of cheap stuff. ) and both have been on ebay a fair while-around the decade mark at least.

When a seller has sales numbers that high, I expect that there will be a few negs, it goes with the territory.

I think it can be a bit harsh to label people as 'bad buyers' because they buy from these sellers as I think the average person would assume that someone labelled as 'one of ebay's most reputable sellers' was a reasonably safe bet.

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

'one of ebay's most reputable sellers' means they are Powersellers. 100 items and $1000 sales per annum. Hardly a high bar. I know, I'm 2 powersellers myself.

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

@sugar249 wrote:

Stop supporting them,

I understand where you are coming from and normally I'd agree but I went and had a look at mmshopping's neg/neutral feedback sellers, or the latest two in any case.

Both were based in Australia and had ratings of 99.3%.

One was labelled as 'one of ebay's most reputable sellers, consistently delivers outstanding service.'

Both had sales in the tens of thousands (which to me doesn't necessarily signal quality goods, just a high turnover of cheap stuff. ) and both have been on ebay a fair while-around the decade mark at least.

When a seller has sales numbers that high, I expect that there will be a few negs, it goes with the territory.

I think it can be a bit harsh to label people as 'bad buyers' because they buy from these sellers as I think the average person would assume that someone labelled as 'one of ebay's most reputable sellers' was a reasonably safe bet.

Just because they are based in Australia, it doesnt justify their **bleep** feedback,  did you actually read it.

No that bad feedback shouldnt go with the territory just because they have high sales.

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

@sugar249 wrote:

Just because they are based in Australia, it doesnt justify their **bleep** feedback,  did you actually read it.

No that bad feedback shouldnt go with the territory just because they have high sales.

Being based in Australia doesn't give a seller a get out of jail free card, agreed.

But what it does do is make the whole process potentially easier if there is any cause for dispute, especially if there is a return needed.

I do think some negs usually go with the territory for any seller who has a high turnover of cheaper items. The thing is, a seller with 99.3% feedback also has thousands of positives, they overwhelm the negs if someone just checks out all feedback. In fact the latest comment for the first seller is

Great seller, service and product. As described. Will purchase again.

and the one under it is

perfect service

I'm not necessarily recommending the seller here, just saying that it is a little harsh to label a buyer as a bad buyer for buying off a seller with this level of feedback and thousands of positives a month as against eg 20 or so negs.

Ebay itself obviously doesn't rate the sellers badly. If we are to label the buyers as bad for buying off such a seller, then surely ebay should shoulder some blame too for allowing these sellers to continue selling or for giving them the label 'one of the most reputable sellers on ebay, consistently delivers outstanding service' or whatever the exact wording is. 

Dave says that it isn't a high bar and he may be correct but how is the average buyer supposed to know that? It reads like a testimonial from ebay in my book.

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

@sugar249 wrote:

I do think some negs usually go with the territory for any seller who has a high turnover of cheaper items. The thing is, a seller with 99.3% feedback also has thousands of positives, they overwhelm the negs if someone just checks out all feedback. In fact the latest comment for the first seller is

Great seller, service and product. As described. Will purchase again.

and the one under it is

perfect service

I'm not necessarily recommending the seller here, just saying that it is a little harsh to label a buyer as a bad buyer for buying off a seller with this level of feedback and thousands of positives a month as against eg 20 or so negs.

Great to give an example of the last feedback.  But

It is not 20 or so negs from the last seller they gave neg feedback to.  Its 23 in the last month plus 71 neutrals,  thats something like 4% of sales are problematic in some way.   Which means that 4 out of every hundred,  not not a positive experience, I'm glad you think that goes with the territory of a good Australian business.  I don't

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

Not everyone leaves feedback so hard to work out total sales.

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

In excess of 251,000. lol

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply