EBay’s disgraceful postage scam

I just bought three items from a UK seller. When I went to pay, eBay’s invoicing system is charging me for three separate items, so I asked the seller to send me a combined invoice. He tried but the system blocked him (he sent a photo of the message) saying the automated invoicing system  had already calculated postage. This is total bs & an absolute rort. 30 Pounds for 3 cds. Disgraceful. I’m sick of eBay doing this. Used to be a good platform - I’ve been a member for around 25 yrs but no more I think.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: EBay’s disgraceful postage scam

The seller is subscribed to the GSP. Whether they know that is a debatable point.

The result is that they can't combine postage, nor do any sort of deals on postage. They are, however, protected by the eBay MBG if they get the item/s to the nominated postage hub in the UK.

So it's not really anything to do with eBay, but with the GSP. Of course you will reckon that that's eBay, which to an extent is true.

Buy a modern car and you don't even get a CD player, so maybe just download from Youtube.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

It's definitely a GSP issue. 

I have bought items from the US (and UK) where it WAS possible to combine postage in the GSP (this showed up when I put the items into the cart first - the total GSP charge was split between the items).  The problem is the sellers didn't know what they did right that made it possible!  Very frustrating.

For any multiple purchases using the GSP I always put them in the cart and if the postage isn't combined I use Contact Seller (NOT the combine postage under cart) to ask if they will consider using Royal Mail International Tracked instead.  Some will but increasingly a lot won't.

It would be handy to know how it is possible to combine postage under the GSP then that info could be passed on to sellers.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

The buyer could contact the seller before actually buying, and ask for the items to be listed together in one new listing so that the buyer can purchase in one transaction as a bundled item. I think that may be the only way for combined postage using the GSP.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

The seller is the one setting their postage preferences, not Ebay.

Instead of buying CD's, why not just use Spotify?

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

If a seller uses the GSP, postage cannot be combined.

If a seller really wants to be helpful, they could cancel your order and do what the Countess suggested or they could use USPS.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Pointless asking for USPS when the OP bought from the UK.

I personally have sent a seller a message saying I wanted several items, and despite them offering it, combined shipping wasn't an option. I said I wasn't asking for them to opt out of the Global Shipping Program, but asked if they could edit one of the listings to include the other items I wanted. I also asked if they could input the weight and dimensions into the listing. That gave me combined postage, plus a more realistic postage cost. Plus, the seller didn't lose their protection from using GSP.

I have requested this from quite a few sellers and only one said they wouldn't do it. That was OK, it was their choice. It never hurts to ask.

To the OP, ask the seller nicely if they will cancel your order and relist as a single listing for you. Also, as I mentioned above, ask if they can put in the weight and dimensions into the listing to give you a better postage cost.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Yes, thanks for that. He did end up using Royal Mail. Nothing wrong with Royal Mail, perfectly good service. No need to send to a third party (ie GSP) for remailing. So long as a clear address to receiver & return address on package it should end up in the right place, and if seller retains receipt to show proof of posting (I always do) then I will abide by that if it gets lost which is so rare ( I think it’s happened to me once in over 1300 transactions) that it’s not an issue.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Agreed, thanks for that. Will remember for next time I have a multi item transaction. 🙂

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Because I want to own the media, not rent it. It’s like saying why don’t you take a taxi instead of buying a car. May work for some or in some circumstances but not for me.

Don’t want to pay for Spotify.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply