Ebay Plus gets a Minus

Just joined Ebay Plus and what a waste of money it is.

The range of goods is tiny and the prices are not cheap compared to just Ebay.

I can get free postage on most items without paying the annual fee for Ebay Plus.

Just searched for a gazebo....no results, yet normal ebay has heaps.

Apart from the free returns, Ebay Plus gets a big minus from me. My advice is to steer clear.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Ebay Plus gets a Minus

Or Letter Post.  Sorry I really only think in Letter Post as 90+% of mine is Letter Post

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

They are really going gung-ho on this idea at the moment, there's a month-long promotion running right now, eBay are trying to entice sellers with waived FVF, and apparently they are spending "millions" on advertising the plus program - I've been called by eBay reps 3 times so far this year. I answered the first call (didn't know any better) and had a rather heated and circular "discussion" with them as I said right of the bat I would not be adjusting my listings so that they would qualify for Plus, so the guy spent about 15 minutes trying to convince me I'd get more sales if I did - it only ended with this exchange (paraphrased and summarised, as i can't remember word for word anymore lol, and I need to note this took place a few months ago, when covid wasn't a thing but Australian bushfires very much were, and my sales had taken a bit of a nosedive as well:

eBay: Your sales have fallen because you don't have free postage
Me: then how come my sales are increasing everywhere except eBay - that would tend to indicate a problem with eBay, not a problem with my business model
eBay: eBay customers are different to other buyers, they come to eBay because they specifically want to find items with free post

Me: but if eBay wants to show buyers items with free post more than items without it, then buyers will naturally select from those items, and your statistics are corrupt

eBay: but your sales have fallen a lot recently because you don't have free postage

Me: Except, every time I've trialled free post on my items, my sales have tanked - why would I intentionally sabotage my business again? 

eBay: so what do you think is the reason your sales have fallen?
Me: there are fires burning all across Australia right now, I'm not suprised there are fewer people buying jewellery
eBay:......yeah, that's actually a good point

Finally got them off the phone after that. I've ignored subsequent calls.

Smiley LOL

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Some people find it pays for them to join, others don't. I never have as I don't buy that much and most things I buy have postage included anyway. Plus-the majority of items on ebay at present are not ebay plus items.

Each to his own but what i would advise is double checking how the renewal works. If it is anything like a lot of other sites, it could be an auto renewal system & unless you keep careful track of things, it might just roll over before you know it. If you want to opt out next year, make sure you do so in plenty of time!

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

Some people find it pays for them to join, others don't. I never have as I don't buy that much and most things I buy have postage included anyway. Plus-the majority of items on ebay at present are not ebay plus items.

Each to his own but what i would advise is double checking how the renewal works. If it is anything like a lot of other sites, it could be an auto renewal system & unless you keep careful track of things, it might just roll over before you know it. If you want to opt out next year, make sure you do so in plenty of time!

It is auto renewal but it is very clear. If you're a member and cick on the ebayplus link at the top of any page the first thing it tells you is how long you have been a member and the date the next fee is due.

I always cancel the membership a couple of days after I pay. Before the time is up ebay have written to me tempting me to resign. Last time the incentive (ebay gift card) was larger than the fee so nothing to lose!

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Didn't even get free returns from ebay plus.

seller who was selling via ebay plus claims there is no change of mind return postage refund.

ebay FAQ promises free returns postage regardless of reason.

nobody would generate a return label, so i paid for return postage myself so i can return the item to the seller within 30 days for refund and plan to deal with the return postage later.

6 customer service reps later, ebay is still unable to resolve the issue. The customer service reps are easily confused about what I'm seeking refund for despite clearly stating "RETURN POSTAGE REFUND". Customer service reps are unfamiliar with ebay plus promises. 

EBAY PLUS IS A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

I did join ebayplus back In Aug for the promo in August. Well about 15 ebay chats later taking over 1 hour each, one near 3 hours and going from 1 to another ebay "helps; and sending proof of the offer too as no one even knew about it, I finally found someone who knew of it and promised to fix it, well promised a call back last Mon/Tues and of course nothing yet again. 2 more chats to send emails to person handling it marked priority by ebay chat persons, and still nothing. 

If ebay can not manage an up to $500 fees back for August, and the new one is up to $5000 for Dec, I now personally feel ripped off by ebay.

Is ebayplus worth it - after using it I would say NO, a waste of money. It makes your items seem more expensive than others, as I do not think most buyers look at free post, but rather the selling cost. Once my items finish on ebayplus I will not be using it unless ebay can be honest as to what they offer. I have to offer 1 day posting which is sometimes hard to get to auspost next day with ebayplus, so end up going out of my way to post next day. As for the $4 back offer when someoen takes up express, forget about that!! I am not even going to try to get that back. 

Just realised this is going under buying link, so this is from an unhappy with ebay sellers view.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

As a buyer I am inundated with emails begging me to sign up for ebay plus and showing me things I have absolutely no interest in buying and have never looked at on line. When I want something I look for it and take postage options into consideration. Sometimes I buy on ebay, sometimes I buy off ebay. Ebay plus offers are usually a " final " offer. if only they were final. Especially when there are 2 or 3 on the same day. I'd like an option to opt out of any emails with ebay plus offers.
As a seller I am inundated with emails begging me to sign up for ebay plus. I have no interest in making selling on ebay any more difficult than it already is, if a buyer wants an item they buy whether it has an ebay plus or minus. So i'd like another option under the promotions section where offers to join just have a "Get Offer" button. A "Refuse Offer" button.
I think all the Ebay emails begging me to join Ebay Plus smack of desperation on their part.
There are times when I'd love an "F--- Off" button.
Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

@paper-jack wrote:
 I'd like an option to opt out of any emails with ebay plus offers.

You could filter them out via your email options, most likely. You'd just have to set it up to automatically send all emails with the phrase "ebay plus" in them to spam. I've done it with a few things like that before, with some you can even block outright, I filter to spam though in case I accidentally block an email I want to receive. 

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply