Ebay Sellers Delivery dates:

jcut6405
Community Member

I recently had a purchase, where the seller had a estimated  delivery date which was not met, when I enquired I was informed they were away, and the Ebay ad had been flagged.

I looked at the Ad and yes there was a small print note high on the left hand corner of the ad, whilst the estimated delivery date was clearly evident in bold large print. below the item for sale

As a result I cancelled the order as instead of having to wait 7 days to receive it would have been 30 days.

This was an annoying waste of my time.

Why does Ebay allow absent sellers to list and item for sale with an Estimated delivery date prominently shown, when the seller has no intention of meeting this delivery time.

Why is a seller even allowed to list on Ebay at a time when they are away and cannot despatch the goods as advertised on the Ebay site.

I believe Ebay needs to have a look at this practice, if they wish to retain their buyers.

Message 1 of 76
Latest reply
75 REPLIES 75

Re: Ebay Sellers Delivery dates:

@egglesdtp wrote:

@springyzone wrote:

I know some folks here will say-we can give a postage time but we can't guarantee a delivery date, that's out of our hands.
True. But ebay's problem is so many sellers prefer to post in envelopes without tracking. Ebay could certainly swing to a system where instead of a delivery date, sellers had to guarantee a lodgement date with proof of tracking. In fact i suspect they would like to see everything with tracking.

Without me checking to see if you are a seller, I find it astonishing that a seller would write these (italicised) statements. If you are a seller, then obviously you don't sell low-priced items e.g. below $10, because if you did, you would realise that if you insisted on including tracking in your postage cost, you wouldn't be selling much.

So many sellers prefer to post in envelopes without tracking because that is effectively what buyers want - the buyers don't want to pay for tracking, as it would mean for low cost items that postage would be too high.

I think you've missed my point.

I didn't say at any stage sellers should have to send with tracking. I realise it isn't economical for small items.

What I am saying is, given that so many items do not have tracking, ebay has to work around that to provide buyers with some idea of a likely delivery date range. Many sellers on here complain about  estimated delivery dates being included at all. I understand sometimes the dates are too optimistic, I understand people can't guarantee when Aust Post will deliver. I understand all those things. But in the absence of tracking, what do you suggest ebay does?

I've already said-back in the day before sellers had to conform to any dates, some sellers took a jolly long time to bother posting out. Yes, I was a seller back in those days, for quite a while, with my sister & she always posted out quickly. But we were also buyers at times & quite a few other sellers were slack. It is much better now.

The other thing is this-just about every other buying site online that i use (and I use a lot) will give you an indication of when they post out. The time range. They don't guaranteee a delivery date as such but they do indicate a postage date. That is usually followed up with a tracking number & emails to the tune of 'your package is on its way, will be delivered tomorrow, is coming today." etc

And the pace has picked up, with most items sent within Australia arriving within the week, 10 days at most.

That's the market ebay is competing in. If they can't provide tracking then I think they do have to provide estimated delivery dates.

I'm not saying the ebay system is perfect. It could be improved. Perhaps those who provide tracking should only have to list a guaranteed time frame for posting/providing tracking number.

But as mainly a buyer these days I'll tell you this-I would no longer bother buying from ebay if I had no idea when sellers might post & they could post out in 2 weeeks, 3 weeks, a month, & that was all okay with ebay, I just had to wait & if it didn't come, too bad, I had lost my money. That's how it used to be, but now consumers have more buying choices so ebay had to lift the game. Introducing estimated delivery time ranges was one initiative.

Message 41 of 76
Latest reply

I've had a few ask for the tracking details when they've only paid for letterpost. Some of them just haven't a clue what things cost.

I've seen negative feedback left for others because their items had no tracking - items that are almost always sent as a letter.
Message 42 of 76
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
I've had a few ask for the tracking details when they've only paid for letterpost. Some of them just haven't a clue what things cost.

I've seen negative feedback left for others because their items had no tracking - items that are almost always sent as a letter.

I think that's one of the problems with feedback. It can be very subjective & some buyers give a neutral or neg for ridiculous reasons.

I've even seen people give a neutral with a comment like 'Fabulous'.

I suppose you just have to hope most other buyers know what to disregard.

Message 43 of 76
Latest reply

I remember somebody reporting on querying a buyer about leaving 3 stars, and asking what was wrong.

The reply - "I only ever leave 3 stars for used items".

That was back when 4.6 in any category and a seller was on thin ice.

So subjective, ridiculous feedback is not new. I'm lucky. I sell for money, not green dots.

Message 44 of 76
Latest reply

I remember a seller stating in the forums that they only leave a 4 at best, never 5's. If all their buyers did the same their star rating would be 4.0 or worst, but they just couldn't see what they were doing to others.
Message 45 of 76
Latest reply

There is no such thing as an "accurate delivery date" unless you have a really good crystal ball, or you expect the Seller to deliver it in person.

Message 46 of 76
Latest reply

That would be best for you. It is better that you buy from a store and have the item immediately.  Sellers are unable to please you by delivering in person.  As this would be the only way to "guarantee" a delivery date. This could still possibly still go wrong if they had an accident along the way and ended up in hospital and never got to you.

Message 47 of 76
Latest reply

If a Seller posts within their time frame (quoted on listings) then they should not be responsible for delivery times. I once had an item sent from two suburbs away that took two weeks for Australia Post to deliver.  YES, it was posted on the right day, postmark date on the parcel was clearly displayed.

Message 48 of 76
Latest reply

You seem to be confusing postage times with delivery times. I have a "within 3 business days" postage time. Posted a large letter within an hour. Got complaints from buyer who lives the other side of the country because it took three days to arrive, dinged me 3 stars for postage time. Also 3 stars for the postage cost of $2 (I paid for the padded envelope) Is this fair?
Message 49 of 76
Latest reply

Totally unfair, but not uncommon. We also have a "within 3 business days" handling time, which is clearly stated in our listings, along with the fact that we don't post every day.

However, we get some buyers messaging us the same day they bought asking if we'd posted the item yet. We know some sellers are a bit forgetful marking items as posted, but a bit of patience wouldn't go astray.

Having had our whinge, we'll also say that some buyers are fantastic & quite willing to wait until Australia Post has sent their items all over the country - some of them have postmarks on the envelope from several states before they actually get to where they were supposed to be in the first place.

Message 50 of 76
Latest reply