Ebay cancelled sale, paypal won't refund

I bought something BIN yesterday and paid straight away through paypal.  Today I got an email from Ebay loss prevention saying that they have cancelled the sale, that I should not purchase the item and if I have already paid I need to "act quickly to get (your) money back".  There is a spiel about paypals buyer protection.

I logged onto paypal and couldn't cancel the transaction.  I called paypal and they basically told me tough luck, they are not reversing the transaction, I can go through the dispute process and wait 11 days for the seller to respond blah blah blah.

How is this fair when ebay has cancelled the sale themselves and deleted the seller?  I asked the seller questions about the item and they replied promptly and politely so I had no reason to think they are dodgy...100% feedback.

If ebay decides themselves to cancel a sale then the buyer should be entitled to an immediate refund if they paid through paypal. Why should I have to wait and be out of pocket because of them??

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Hi, that has happened to me on more than one occasion, chances are the seller has done something either innocently or knowingly.  The best thing to do is contact ebay by phone, go to the customer support tab and then click on buying, you will then be taken to some other tabs that will allow you to contact them by phone, you will get a number and you use that number when you call them, the phone number and details will all be there.  If you get no joy there, do the same with Paypal, explain the situation, have all the details ready when you contact either one of them.  They will tell you what to do.  

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

The seller has probably been suspended for non payment of fees or similar, they haven't been deleted.

Have you logged into your Paypal Account and opened a dispute? I've always been able to open a dispute straight away if the sale has been cancelled. 

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Go to your paypal account and open a dispute for item not received and wait at least 7 days in case the seller has sent it, (which they often have) and if still nothing then escalate to a claim to get your refund.

Paypal will not refund you till the dispute process has been done as it is very possible the seller may have sent the item all ready.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Ebay is an auction site, Paypal is a 3rd party transaction facilitator. Your Paypal payment has nothing to do with ebay, you have the same buyer protection whoever you buy goods from.

Often an ebay item is removed because of a minor glitch like late payment of fees or a malicious report by a rival seller so until you either receive an item that is not as described or don't receive your item at all there is no justification for Paypal cancelling the transaction and refunding your payment.

You can open a dispute now if you wish and then escalate to a claim but depending what the item is it may still arrive, if it arrives and is as described after you receive a refund then I hope you will contact the seller and re make the payment.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Unless it is a high risk item (eg expensive electronics, and/or looks like unusual activity for the account holder), I wouldn't panic just yet, there are any number of reasons eBay remove listings, and sometimes it's done due to site errors (which happened to all of my listings recently, however everyone still received their items). eBay removing a listing sometimes has absolutely nothing to do with the item's - nor seller's - legitimacy, but eBay automatically send that warning email and won't tell you if there is actually serious risk in proceeding with the purchase - they just make it sound like there is. Before opening a dispute, I would check if the seller is actually showing as NARU (not a registered user) or whether they can be contacted in any way to address your concerns. 

If not, then I would open the dispute. 

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

I have contacted paypal via phone, they will do nothing.

The seller is NARU. If I attempt to respond to messages from the seller it wont let me and gives a red invalid message, so I have no way of communicating with the seller.

It is also almost impossible for the seller to have posted the item since I bought it at 1.20pm on Monday (public holiday) and the message from ebay loss prevention came at 7.21am today (Tuesday). Less than 24hrs and no post office even open in that time.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

car11men23
Community Member

hi All,

this was exactly happen to me... felt so cheated...it happen to be my first experience with eBay...

i brought a Tayo toy car for my son since end Jan 2013 .... was excited waited for the item to deliver to give a surprise to my little boy ...

Due to my busy schedule ... i wasn't logged in to eBay... after 1 month...i noticed eBay sent me a email saying that the Korean Toy Car Shop claimed that 'buyer would like to cancel the item" !!! WTF...  i was confused ... the best thing is the cancellation email was only appear in the eBay once you have log in...

Why cant they copy the email as cc to my personal email that we have registered for our early notification???

i have tried to file a report on this ...but i have a bad feeling on the refund as eBay has claimed they have closed the file....n Blar blar...

I really lost my trust on eBay and all these online transaction.. no professionalism and dignity ....

after this experience ...i will rather purchase from shop and at least i can see my boy smile instantly....

my piece of advise to all ....

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

The seller is NARU. If I attempt to respond to messages from the seller it wont let me and gives a red invalid message, so I have no way of communicating with the seller.

It is also almost impossible for the seller to have posted the item since I bought it at 1.20pm on Monday (public holiday) and the message from ebay loss prevention came at 7.21am today (Tuesday). Less than 24hrs and no post office even open in that time.

DO NOT phone paypal.

Go to your PP account and open the page that shows your payment and then at the bottom of the payment is Resolution Center.

Click on that and OPEN a dispute for item not received.

You can then escalate as soon as the system allows you too and if the seller does not respond to the dispute in 10 days after escalation you will be refunded.

This is WHY you pay with paypal. For YOUR protection.

There is NO need to phone paypal at all now just open the dispute.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Of course Paypal will do something. Just open the dispute when you're able and claim your funds back.

Having said that it's not unusual to still get items even if eBay remove them generally speaking, and i'd normally wait and see, but not if the seller has been removed from the eBay site and is now NARU.

Integrity is priceless.
“I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating”. Sophocles
Message 10 of 21
Latest reply