Ebay international shipping...

Sent query to Ebay  hoping for an explanation....  "Hard to understand why Ebay allows outrageous postage costs in USA....I received a 4kg item for $42 AUD but was quoted $100 for 2small 6cm by 4cm salt and pepper shakers and when questioned seller stated it was what Ebay quoted... when asked dimensions and weight no reply..... so was the seller ripping of the buyer ?? Please advise how Ebay is monitoring the situation and what action is taken by Ebay to ensure fair quotes ?

Seems like seller is hoping for a sale and getting huge profit  in return....  and seems like more and more people are jumping on the bandwagon...  how things have changed for the worse since the Covid outbreak   !!!!

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Just glad Australian sellers use local services such as Aust Post ...  hate to think how extra Ebay would be charging.....??????

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

@guntis21 wrote:

Just glad Australian sellers use local services such as Aust Post ...  hate to think how extra Ebay would be charging.....??????

It would be impossible for a US seller to use Aust Post.

Was your purchase shipped with eBay International Shipping?

Btw... you were under no obligation to purchase the item if you did not like the shipping cost... which was shown to you on the listing.

In addition you will be "hoping for an explanation" for a very long time.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

If the item is from USA, then I have read numerous times about an independent shipping program available to sellers there. GSP, from memory. Allowed by ebay but not, as far as I know, owned by ebay. 

GSP are the middlemen, they wrap the item, ensure it is the sort of item that is okay to be shipped (and they have a long list of stuff they won't allow to be sent) and this way, the seller is covered against claims. There is a charge for this extra safe service but the charge falls onto the buyer, not the seller. I can understand sellers using this service as selling things overseas can be fraught with risk otherwise.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is what you are striking.

The seller won't be getting any profit from this as far as the postage component goes. They are right, the postage charge is not set by them & they won't receive it at all. It will go to the actual shipping company.

Ebay is fine with the system. From their point of view, any item sent that way is likely to be properly wrapped and documented and tracked etc and less likely to cause ebay any hassles.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

If I understand correctly, that you received a 4kg package shipped from the USA for  $42,  then someone cut their own throat.

USPS  quote for  4kg to Australia,  starts at  $96 and goes to over $200 depending on service.

$46.50 will get you a flat rate DVD box

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Hi springy..

GSP has been replaced by eBay International Shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-international-shippin...

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

Hi springy..

GSP has been replaced by eBay International Shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-international-shippin...

I didn't realise that but on reading the link, I think the same sort of principle possibly applies as it did with GSP.

If the seller in US decides to use the ebay international shipping program, they send their item to a domestic hub but after that, the international shipping and customs process is taken over.

On the link, it says this to sellers,

• You're protected from:
    • The obligation to refund the buyer
    • eBay Money Back Guarantee cases
    • Payment disputes
    • Open 'Not as described' returns in your service metrics
    • Negative or neutral feedback related to item handling during international shipping
  • Save on selling fees for your international transactions, including no international fee
  • All international returns, refunds, and customs clearance will be handled on your behalf.

In other words, just like GSP did, it takes a lot of worry out of international transactions for those sellers.

I would imagine that that comes at a cost though and the cost would be a higher postage fee for the buyer.

This could be what guntis has struck. If so, then I doubt the seller is making a killing on the postage, which is what guntis has assumed.

The link says this:

There's no extra charge to ship your items with eBay International Shipping and you won't be charged an international fee.

The buyer will be charged any US domestic shipping and handling costs that you specified, as well as international shipping, and other fees as determined by eBay.

I have to admit, if I were a US seller, I'd be tempted to use this system as I have read of so many sellers who post privately to people overseas and then strike major problems with (sometimes dubious) claims.

But extra service comes at a price and I can understand that $100 postage for salt and pepper shakers seems high. On the other hand, a 4kg item for $42 has shocked me. I have sent quite light stuff to UK, Canada and USA and the postage has been close to that.

Anyway, I don't think ebay will 'do anything' as I doubt the seller was ripping off the buyer, they were probably telling the truth and using this ebay international shipping program.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply