Ebay is not the same anymore- it's all about the money.

I had a recent transaction go very wrong, unhappy with the email abuse from the seller I felt a refund didn't warrant a positive feedback as the seller had already had a misrepresented sale to me that I had posted positive feedback for. Being mindful of the community I felt that every one should know what kind of seller this person was- so I posted negative, then I get an email "Coming to see you......".bla bla hate filled rubbish " you are screwed mate" I contacted ebay and had them read the number of emails this wonderful person sent and they have done nothing at all, he now sends me emails "direct" so ebay don't have to see it- got my email from paypal when I paid him. I am not the first to cop abuse from this seller, nor will I be the last.

How sad is ebay that we must  put up with abuse and threats simply to buy something or if unhappy with someone's service, while ebay ignore it all and count the money.

I spend on average $1000 a month on ebay, all this leaves a very bad taste in my mouth...... I think I might go back to real shops where I am greeted with a smile and if I have a problem I am not abused. 

Message 1 of 44
Latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

I would contact the seller once more and advise him if he doesn't stop his threatening emails you will be reporting him to the  Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA):-)

Message 2 of 44
Latest reply

It is so bad I have been to the Police, and you know what? I am not by any means the first!

I only live in a small town of 3000 people yet the local policeman has been dealing with similar eBay cases lately, the police were great- unlike eBay, there is in Queensland a law that comes into play "miss use of a communication medium",  and unlike eBay the police are happy to apply it- it makes me laugh when you read the eBay terms that people can not be abusive or threatening to other members, I can not repeat  the names the seller called me  and I quoted the threat he sent- but eBay says it is not specific enough for them, the offender needs to be graphic in there threat. A best friend was a prison warden and an inmate doing life for murder came to him and said "my best mate gets out next week, he's going round to have a beer with your wife and kids, be good to me my boy" my friend is no longer a warden the intent was clear, we have to give our home address for mailing- can not be a P.O. Box, so just you all wait to one of you gets a sicko like mine, they have your address, your phone number and if you pay with PayPal your email. And while they sell eBay lets it all roll. ...  

Message 3 of 44
Latest reply

I would print out copies of any messages and emails and then block them from sending any more so they go straight to your junk folder.

If you feel truely threatened and are concerned, take the print outs to your local police station and make a report.

Fortunately there are many much nicer people to deal with on ebay 🙂

Message 4 of 44
Latest reply

I type too slow :^O

Message 5 of 44
Latest reply

There are always a few nidiots around. The threats are probably all show.

As said, block their email addy and if you are also a seller, add them to your BBL so they can't buy something to retaliate in feedback.

At the very least print out the messages and keep them on file.

image host
Message 6 of 44
Latest reply

"The person needs to be graphic in their threat".

WHAT?

Well,while ebay are waiting for "graphic" before doing something,the person may well have carried out their threats.

And to those who arnt taking this seriously enough and making excuses and saying they wont carry the threat out etc etc...THEIR IS A PERSON'S WELFARE AT STAKE HERE.

This whole ebay environment has become more than toxic,IT'S DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS.

Message 7 of 44
Latest reply

this sounds horrible  xxx  just ignore them

Message 8 of 44
Latest reply

This is very definitely a police matter and a person's welfare COULD be at stake here.

The reason some rogue sellers carry on with this sort of rubbish is that they know only too well that eBay will do nothing . This sort of thing is becoming far too common on eBay and it certainly does NOT happen on other sites due to more professional and unbiased monitoring.

Message 9 of 44
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I can not repeat  the names the seller called me  and I quoted the threat he sent- but eBay says it is not specific enough for them, the offender needs to be graphic in there threat. A best friend was a prison warden and an inmate doing life for murder came to him and said "my best mate gets out next week, he's going round to have a beer with your wife and kids, be good to me my boy" my friend is no longer a warden the intent was clear, we have to give our home address for mailing- can not be a P.O. Box, so just you all wait to one of you gets a sicko like mine, they have your address, your phone number and if you pay with PayPal your email. And while they sell eBay lets it all roll. ...  

You are wrong on so many things here.

There is no way ebay will do anything when you "quote" something said in an email.  You need to forward the email to them complete with headers so they can check exactly where it has come from.

As for your story about a prisoner threatening a prison warder....complete nonsense...the prisoners have no idea where the warders live and there is very little chance of them finding out.

There is also no reason that you cannot have a PO Box for ebay deliveries, unless the seller specifies that they are using a courier so need a street address.

Message 10 of 44
Latest reply