Ebay is not the same anymore- it's all about the money.

I had a recent transaction go very wrong, unhappy with the email abuse from the seller I felt a refund didn't warrant a positive feedback as the seller had already had a misrepresented sale to me that I had posted positive feedback for. Being mindful of the community I felt that every one should know what kind of seller this person was- so I posted negative, then I get an email "Coming to see you......".bla bla hate filled rubbish " you are screwed mate" I contacted ebay and had them read the number of emails this wonderful person sent and they have done nothing at all, he now sends me emails "direct" so ebay don't have to see it- got my email from paypal when I paid him. I am not the first to cop abuse from this seller, nor will I be the last.

How sad is ebay that we must  put up with abuse and threats simply to buy something or if unhappy with someone's service, while ebay ignore it all and count the money.

I spend on average $1000 a month on ebay, all this leaves a very bad taste in my mouth...... I think I might go back to real shops where I am greeted with a smile and if I have a problem I am not abused. 

Message 1 of 44
Latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Why on earth would you give the sender of the emails the satisfaction of knowing they are getting to you by even reading them?

I am sure some of the emails I have received after I have had a refund and left a neg are along the lines you talk of but once that neg is left i ignore any further communication with the seller either through ebay or direct and just delete them without even opening them.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 21 of 44
Latest reply

The police have all the emails and are brilliant, very happy with Qld Police.

My friend was a warden when there was the "leak" of names and addresses of prison staff, it was on the news some 15 to 20 years ago, as well of course white pages and word of mouth will provide addresses too.

Nearly 10 years a member, I collect watches often expensive ones, and every seller I have dealt with on these insisted on a residential address if I paid with paypal, I would have thought a P.O box more secure but they say it is too open to fraud, there words not mine.

The founder of ebay Pierre Omidyar set up the feedback system to alert other buyers to good or bad sellers and buyers, he laid down a set of guidelines for common courtesy to others, now it is all gone, how is it that sellers can not give negative feedback on certain things?

I think our quality of experience is being sacrificed- both as  buyers and sellers.

How sad is it that people figure they can intimidate people into giving good feedback regardless of how poor/ abusive the service- we may as well not have feedback if it comes to that.

Message 22 of 44
Latest reply

crazybear, the only trouble with f/back, good or bad or indifferent is that people pay it no mind!

I personally haven't met a single buyer in all these years on Ebay that even looked at f/back, let alone decided not to buy something because of the negs.

And when it's all said and done - they are not all that reliable as a deciding factor, more than half of all negs on Ebay are most likely lies, the rest is based on someone opinion, which doesn't count for anything much, being subjective. That is why people with with even a tons of negs continue to sell, and sell, and sell.

There must be someone who looks at the seller's f/back and doesn't buy, just wander how many, if everyone was doing it no seller with negs would ever sell anything again!

Like in real life - you hear about supermarkets, predatory pricing, rudeness, constant stuff ups with orders, same as with most banks, same as telecommunication providers etc... but did even a single person stop going to those places? NO!

You are just flogging a dead horse, as they say. Just let it go and ignore him - that would get to him the most.

And besides, whatever he said - it's not like you haven't heard it before, as soon as you turn the TV on, read the papers, talk to people all over the place.

Message 23 of 44
Latest reply

crazybear, the only trouble with f/back, good or bad or indifferent is that people pay it no mind!

I personally haven't met a single buyer in all these years on Ebay that even looked at f/back, let alone decided not to buy something because of the negs.

I always look at feedback and am influenced by it,and know of many others who do as well, though you can easily tell  the ratbags who are giving negs just for the sake of it.  Must say I'm also influenced by the response the seller gives too.  

But to the OP I really sympathise with you, that's a horrible experience. but I'm glad to 

hear that the police are taking it seriously, as they should.  It's almost probably hot air but 

it does need to be taken fairly seriously too.   

Message 24 of 44
Latest reply

I collect watches often expensive ones, and every seller I have dealt with on these insisted on a residential address if I paid with paypal, I would have thought a P.O box more secure but they say it is too open to fraud, there words not mine.

Never let a seller dictate terms to you. Paypal will protect you no matter what  the address is.

At checkout when paying via PP you can enter any address you would like to be used.

On the other hand, if you have a residential address on the paypal notification that is sent to the seller and you ask the seller via message to send it to a PO Box then the seller does have every right to refuse, as the protection is only for the address on the notification.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 25 of 44
Latest reply

@lyndal1838  Your the one that is wrong, A prison gaurd just this week is sueing the police for telling a ex prisoner the address of a officer and allowing them to vandalise there home and take it out on his family.  It does happen it is happening right now. 

Currently headlines in the paper as a matter of fact.

There is always a way to find out and they dont even have to ask.

Just wait till they knock off work and follow them home easy as pee,ing  in the woods.

Message 26 of 44
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Sweetap, you have hit the nail on the head....the Police disclosed the address...it was not found from either the white pages or the Electoral Rolls.  And you obviously know nothing if you think it is as simple as following a guard home from work.

crazydropbear, if your friend was in Corrective Services 20 years ago then it is a bit of a stretch to say that things are the same and it is easy to get an officers address.

I have a relative currently in the Service....the family has moved to several different towns/cities whenever he has transferred to another jail and NEVER have we been able to find their address from searches of the white pages or electoral rolls, even though we already know the information.

Message 27 of 44
Latest reply

There must be someone who looks at the seller's f/back and doesn't buy, just wander how many, if everyone was doing it no seller with negs would ever sell anything again!

JHOS the reason sellers with lots and lots of negs keep selling is just greed of the buyer, they want a bargain even if it is too good to be true so they ignore the 100s of negs in the hope it won't happen to them and they will get some fantastic bargain.

Most scams are based on the person being scammed wants a bargain or to make a quick dollar.

Never let a seller dictate terms to you

greencat are you serious? I would never let a buyer dictate terms to me, I am the one selling the item and they buy it under my terms (within ebay policy) or they go to another seller and buy from them. 

If sellers let buyers start dictating postage terms then we, as sellers, are doomed.

Message 28 of 44
Latest reply

JHOS the reason sellers with lots and lots of negs keep selling is just greed of the buyer, they want a bargain even if it is too good to be true so they ignore the 100s of negs in the hope it won't happen to them and they will get some fantastic bargain.

Most scams are based on the person being scammed wants a bargain or to make a quick dollar.

Never let a seller dictate terms to you

greencat are you serious? I would never let a buyer dictate terms to me, I am the one selling the item and they buy it under my terms (within ebay policy) or they go to another seller and buy from them. 

If sellers let buyers start dictating postage terms then we, as sellers, are doomed.

So Bump,

If I had a PO Box listed as the address in my paypal when you received the notification, you would contact me and tell me you are refusing to sell to me?

Really ??

Message 29 of 44
Latest reply

Post # 21 - this is what I was replying to Bump

Nearly 10 years a member, I collect watches often expensive ones, and every seller I have dealt with on these insisted on a residential address if I paid with paypal, I would have thought a P.O box more secure but they say it is too open to fraud, there words not mine.

Message 30 of 44
Latest reply