Ebay reporting system sucks

Today, while searching for a specific item, I came across a listing by a brand new Ebayer which, by itself, looks legit. The only thing which may raise suspicion is the price compared to other listings for the same item. However, when you take a look at the very next listing for the same item, the listing is identical, except it is by another brand new Ebayer. And this is where the reporting system sucks.

I have reported both listings as suspected fraudulent items, however as individual reports, they may be passed as ok. These items require paypal payment, and as there is no longer any way to add multiple item numbers to a report, I assume Ebay doesn't give a stuff about having to pay back money on fraudulent listings. I actually purchased this item a while ago from a different seller (along with many other buyers), and it turned out to be a fraudulent listing. After a bit of a process and some waiting time, I managed to get my payment back from Paypal. I have tried to avoid buying anything on Ebay since this experience, but now I am in need of this item (or similar), hence the search.

The system needs to be changed back to allow some comment when reporting items to clarify the reason, because although Ebay may be able to afford to lose a little from time to time on fraudulent listings, I know I can't afford to throw away hundreds of dollars and I am sure others can't either.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

imastawka
Honored Contributor

How do you know the listings are fraudulent?

Can you give us an item number please.

And, yes, the reporting system sucks big time.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I agree with stawka....how do you know the listings are fraudulent?

If you can post some item numbers others can have a look.   If they seem fraudulent the more members that report them the more likely ebay is to do something about it.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

The reports I make are via Help & Contact.

Reporting them via the listing is useless since they did away with the brief description box,(reports just don't get

actioned),stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Then they also have: The listing has items being sold without the owner's authorisation. You didn't bid.

Which is off course is untrue as the "seller" is the scammer,(hence why a lot of listings aren't pulled quickly,

as the scammer gets notified and can decide when to shut up shop).

There would be no follow up to see if the listings are removed unless another report is made,(it has taken up

up to 5 replies before anything was done)Angry head bang.gif

Now I just make the one report and then the next report is made when the negatives start to hit.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Hey tazz you're not allowed to name and shame haha Woman Tongue

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I am suspicious. I have seen that sort of activity on some particular items.

Always a zero rater, always a brand new name & location, always the same wording for the ad, never, ever is any feedback shown, even though the items regularly sell. And the seller disappears.

If I had to lay bets, it would be on fraudulent & that is without even seeing the particular ad. I know, I am cynical.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Springy, it is dollars to donuts that the OP is right but ebay doesnt see it that way.

They rarely do anything about these listings unless the report comes from someone who has been ripped off....you know, shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

The only ay they may do something is if the reports come from many members which is why I asked for item numbers.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Surprising, the listings in question have been removed (I had them in my watch list, now gone).

I don't like to post item numbers as, like some said, the listings could have been legitimate.

All the evidence screamed fraud to me though...identical listings from 2 new members, listings were virtual copies of the authorised Australian resellers listings, and the B.I.N. price was almost have that of the reseller.

That, and the fact that I almost got burned by the same scam a while back, is why I felt the need to report them.

Thanks all for your comments. Sometimes the system does work, but I must say I am surprised given the choices listed when reporting, and the fact you can't reference the other listing.

Cheers, Oz

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

@ozemale6t9 wrote:

Surprising, the listings in question have been removed (I had them in my watch list, now gone).

The scammer would've been informed that the account was suspect so all eBay have done is warn them.

I don't like to post item numbers as, like some said, the listings could have been legitimate.

Then just post a listing title and others can check it out,(there will be more than one listing come up when

searching for the one in question).

That avoids pinpointing the one seller and others will find the scam listing.

All the evidence screamed fraud to me though...identical listings from 2 new members, listings were virtual copies of the authorised Australian resellers listings, and the B.I.N. price was almost have that of the reseller.

That, and the fact that I almost got burned by the same scam a while back, is why I felt the need to report them.

Thanks all for your comments. Sometimes the system does work, but I must say I am surprised given the choices listed when reporting, and the fact you can't reference the other listing.

That's why it's better to report via the Help & Contact link at the top of any eBay page,(that way you can

Email them with all the relevant information or use the phone option).

To report via Help & Contact Click on the link and then Contact Us > hover over Buying > click on Other
buying problems > click on Report as seller.
Then scroll to the bottom and select the service you want to use,good.gif
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Ebay must be INTENTIONALLY not allowing to report "Incorrect item description". There's just no such selection under their numerous drop down menus. This is why I avoid using ebay as much as possible.
For the item that is misrepresented with a wrong catalogue number, while the seller states in large capital letters that they only sell guaranteed genuine items, there is no matching selection. The best I could do was:

REPORT CATEGORY: Listing practices
REASON FOR REPORT: Inappropriate item description (FAIL! because at the third menu there's no match!)
REASON FOR REPORT:  Other listing practices (you would guess this one will be fine!)
DETAILED REASON: No match at all, not even close!

Thus unable to report the seller who misrepresents their item.

For such a large company ebay either are incompetent idiots or crooks. In the above case it is a banknote listing that gives a completely wrong catalogue number, but in other cases it was plants, such as palm trees tat were intentionally misrepresented, selling cheap palms as rare ones. Ebay does not have a good match to report it and there is no comments field to explain what is wrong with the listing. I believe that ebay does this intentionally.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply