Empty envelope and incorrect tracking

Hi, I am a little rusty in how things work! I purchased an item on the 3rd and received an empty envelope. They also uploaded a tracking number, but there are no details in either ebay or Aust Post. I need to open a case, but there is no option on the drop down list for ''Item not as described'' I have contacted the seller, but they are stringing me along. Does the following tracking look legit? ORD0048293353 the Estimated delivery Mon 11 Jul - Mon 18 Jul. Many thanks

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Assuming that the tracking number is a legitimate one, you're correct about needing to go through the SNAD/INAD process, but the wording makes it a slightly confusing process when the item's actually not in the parcel or envelope.

You can go through the process from your Purchase History, or just use this link (from eBay's Return an Item for a Refund Help page) and click onto the blue Return your item button.

Select the item, and continue. You'll be asked โWhy are you returning this item?โž, and there will be a list of options:

• Ordered by mistake
  • Arrived damaged
  • Don't like it
  • Missing parts or pieces
  • Changed my mind
  • Item is defective
  • Received wrong item
  • Doesn't fit
  • Found a better price
  • Doesn't match description or photos

Select โMissing parts of piecesโž, and continue.

The page will now ask you to add details, and say: โWeโ€™re sorry that the item wasn't what you expected. Let us know how your item differed, that information will help us to best resolve your return.โž

In the text field, write "An empty envelope was sent to me. I ordered a [whatever the item was supposed be]. This item, the [item name] itself was not in the envelope. The tracking number doesn't seem to be legitimate. To clarify, I have not received the item, but I have received just an empty envelope."

There is an option to upload a photo. I would do that; make sure you supply every possible bit of evidence.

However, if the tracking number is a fake, you're probably better off opening an INR claim (Item Not Received)... but only do that if it's absolutely certain that the so-called tracking number is not legitimate.

I've checked ORD0048293353 on https://www.17track.net/en, and can't find anything there. I also tried https://alltrack.org/couriers-tracking, with the same result.

Can anyone else comment on that tracking number?

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

I have tried www.parcelsapp.com and www.ordertracker.com - no results.

In my opinion it is a fake tracking number, deliberately starting with ORD to give the impression it has to do with an order.

What is the seller's feedback?

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Sending an empty item, with invalid tracking, does not seem to make a lot of sense, as they still have no proof that anything was delivered.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

True, but not all scammers are smart.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

By the way, if the tracking number was real (I don't think so), the number should be on the empty envelope you received. 

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

what is the item number?

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Hi there, so sorry about the delay in getting back and thanks for your replies. After I opening a case for item not received and then more ''dear friend, please wait til...'' the seller issued a refund. I really don't know what to make of it. The empty envelope had the tracking number on it and 'postage paid Australia' Their feedback is fine, although they have only sold 100 in the last year (phone cases). Item 115423646009. Judging by the way they responded I believe they are overseas.  Perhaps a genuine mistake?  I dunno. But ebay is very hard to use these days. When I first posted the original question, a message came up saying the post was marked as spam... so I didn't even think it was live on the forum. I also couldn't find this forum on the ebay app... Erhh... it's all too hard.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Yes, the seller is registered in China.

Two neutral fb (100% positive) does not sound bad, but the seller also has  a lot of revised feedback.

Was the envelope whole when it arrived? I remember that a long time ago I had bought a pen and they had put it in a paper envelope. The envelope arrived ripped and empty...

It's good that you got your refund.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Yes it was a sealed. A small flat envelope with a thank-you card in it - not big enough for the phone case ordered. If it did come from China, it got here quickly! And that it had "postage Paid Australia'' + the same tracking number as in the transaction... mysterious.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply