Ending a Auction early?

jians5249
Community Member

A seller has ended an auction item 2 hours prior it's end? Is this normal? 

item number: 403426297580

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Ending a Auction early?

Not necessarily normal, but non uncommon. Especially inexperienced sellers who panic when the item seems to be going to sell for far less than they were hoping. Not realising that the pointy end is when the bids come in.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Ending a Auction early?

That item number doesn't come up in completed listings, so either the item number is wrong or eBay itself has ended the listing.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Ending a Auction early?

If my buyers are purchasing multiple auctions, I have been known to end the last auction early, to enable them to complete their transaction....sometimes the early bird catches the worm (especially if there are no more watchers or interest)

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Ending a Auction early?

@jians5249 wrote:

A seller has ended an auction item 2 hours prior it's end? Is this normal? 

item number: 403426297580

---------------------------------------------------

Hi there, if you were a bidder in the auction then I'm sorry if you were disappointed by the outcome. I'm just wondering if you could please let us know how many bids were in the auction and what the starting bid was?

Cheers

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Ending a Auction early?

Relevant - how??

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Ending a Auction early?

Can you please check the item number or let us know what the item was?

I agree with padi that either the item number is wrong or eBay removed the listing because it does not come up in the completed listings.

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

Ending a Auction early?

FGS... where does the OP say they "were disappointed by the outcome"?

Are you ever able to answer a question on the day it was asked?

Or do you salivate at the chance to skewer a seller without ever knowing the details of the transaction?

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Ending a Auction early?

Please forgive me.

I forgot to say thank you, thankyou, thank you... for not dragging up the ra thread.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Ending a Auction early?

I think we can gather that jians was a bit taken aback or disappointed by the cancellation of the auction or else he/she wouldn't be asking about it here. Maybe he was aiming to bid but didn't get the chance.

What I took from their question was is this sort of thing usually allowed on ebay, when an auction only has 2 hours to go?

The answer is yes, in certain circumstances. It can be cancelled if there have been no bids. Or no bids  that have reached a reserve (in categories that allow a reserve).

The other possibility though is that ebay itself could have removed the listing/cancelled the auction, in which case I suppose there could have been bids. I've not actually had it happen to me but have heard of  something similar happening.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply