FAKE .925 sterling silver jewellery

ebay is allowing sellers to advertise and sell FAKE .925 sterling silver jewellery.  I perused the message boards and found similar complaints way back in 2014!!

This is still going on today.fake silver jewelleryfake silver jewellery

The pic shows the many rings etc I have purchased via ebay sellers over the last couple of years.  Every piece is fake.  It is NOT silver.  

SHAME on you ebay for allowing this to continue for so long.

cynthia
Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: FAKE .925 sterling silver jewellery

@countessalmirena wrote:

I would stress again โ€“ and again โ€“ that nobody is selling silver or gold, etc., at lower than its market index price.

The reason for one buying silver items online from various eBay sellers (often overseas) must be price. Thereโ€™s a mindset that has itself firmly convinced that one can snap up wonderful genuine silver bargains in this way.

I think this is so true of many items that are sold on ebay. I think back in the early days, there was definitely a mindset that you could snap up things on ebay quite cheaply at times.

That mindset has continued to some extent but people need to remember that back at the start, most items were listed by mum & dad sellers who were clearing out a few bits and pieces from around their homes. It's perfectly possible for people like that to have no idea of the value of some of their items. In fact, I am convinced of it. It can go in both directions. Someone may price an article too low in that scenario and a buyer may pick up a bit of a bargain.

Casual sellers can also set their items unrealistically high. I've seen that too, especially on marketplace.

But ebay now is a place where most items, including jewellery, are being listed by medium sized businesses. Not your casual, hapless home seller. It is very unlikely a regular jewellery business is not going to be aware of the market price for silver, or is going to sell it at a great loss. That's wishful thinking.

Cynfran might be better off at regular jewellers where she can see the goods in person or else looking at the second hand items put up by casual sellers, although she would need to have a bit of an idea of market prices to know if something was a good deal or not.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

.925 isn't all. Everything from .35% US WWII 5cts, to all 90% 10ct-$1 & CAN .500-.800 coins, & many other nations bullion- including some .999/.9999% silver world bullion coinage. All of this & more is being copied & mass produced by c***a, & sold to naive or greedy people who don't care & just want to flip for $. A fake silver Morgan dollar was recently bought at a flea market, so they're flooding the world with fake silver. Prob to help kill the $1, but they aren't thinking beyond that & it will come back to haunt them. Flooding the world with fake bullion that passes most content testing, means you will inevitably be trying to confirm it's nature at some point yourself. 

Shortsighted. Sorry for the rant

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

Ebay is fine If you only buy from truly reputable sellers & follow a few steps.

1. See that they've been selling on ebay 5-7yrs, at the very least, & have excellent ratings to 100s/1000s of transactions

2. Provides detailed descriptions of items, & clear pics from all relevant angles- including stamps.

3. Good communication. Replies in a timely manner, & not at 3am your time.

4. Never ships/sources from China.

*I immediately scroll to "ships from" when spotting perceived fakes.

5. Check the sellers store & look at similar items. Read descriptions & ask questions

6. Ask questions, just to reiterate that point. It can make a huge diff in your ability to consistently buy & receive genuine silver/gold.

7. There's more but I don't want to expedite things further. This is to help try to slow the scouring 

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

You're on the Australian boards.

Thanks for bumping (insert sarcasm here)

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

I am very sure that Springy is more than well aware of how eBay works and what they are doing

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

To be honest, roberfinchie, I would be wary buying any expensive, fine jewellery from ebay. I'd prefer to buy from a real store, a reputable supplier, for those sorts of items. I just don't know enough about jewellery to risk buying any other way.

I have occasionally bought smaller jewellery items from ebay, but only from an Australian seller who makes her own stuff.

I tend to avoid buying anything direct from China as it seems to be the home of fake everything. It's a bit sad but we seem to be living in times where everyone talks big about recycling and saving the planet, yet I suspect previous generations valued quality more and there wasn't the same throw away mentality with clothes and goods as there is now.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply