FAKE .925 sterling silver jewellery

ebay is allowing sellers to advertise and sell FAKE .925 sterling silver jewellery.  I perused the message boards and found similar complaints way back in 2014!!

This is still going on today.fake silver jewelleryfake silver jewellery

The pic shows the many rings etc I have purchased via ebay sellers over the last couple of years.  Every piece is fake.  It is NOT silver.  

SHAME on you ebay for allowing this to continue for so long.

cynthia
Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

This is a serious issue on eBay, the complete flooding of fake silver in the sterling silver categories.

For a seller trying to list genuine sterling silver pieces, it is a challenge to even get views on the items as the prices are naturally a lot higher than the fakes.

My suggestion when searching for a sterling silver ring, for instance, make sure you drill down further using the options on the left column. 

Especially always choose sterling silver in the Base Metal option, and make sure you only search in the Fine Jewellery category.

In addition, check that the item has 925 purity listed in the item specifics.

Most genuine sterling silver items will also include the weight of the item. If the price is less than $2 per gram, it is most likely a fake.

Generally, solid sterling silver usually retails for $5 per gram at the bargain end to $10 gram for nice quality pieces. 

Finally, stick with Australian sellers who have a solid selling history. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Wow, earthdreamer, what excellent information!

That is so specific and detailed. Extemely helpful to anyone looking for that type of jewellery.

Cynfran, I hope you have done a cut and paste and keep that stored where you can refer to it.

Unfortunately, there is a problem on ebay with some categories of items, where you may very well get a fake.

I'd be very wary of any so called brand name item from China, for example.

And even with Australian bought items, just the photo alone wouldn't be enough to convince ebay it was a fake. You'd probably need written proof and unless you paid a fair bit for your jewellery pieces, it might not be worthwhile. All the same, if you can get a clear photo of where the silver has worn through in a month, it might still be worth reporting, along with the sales details.

If you paid via paypal, you could try a claim with them. It would be worth a try, nothing to lose, but be careful how you word it. My daughter in law recently bought some custom made wallpaper (from overseas) but a professional paper hanger she hired later told her it would be impossible to hang properly without creases as the paper was all warped. Paypal just said it didn't cover the quality of the products. So I think you would need to concentrate on the fact your item is not as described, not .925 sterling silver.

Also, if you were to make claims on a  regular basis, I suspect paypal might soon clamp down on it.

You've had a lot of disappointing experiences on ebay when you've tried to buy this type of jewellery. If I were you, I'd turn to the real stores or else I'd do as earthdreamer said and if you intend to keep using ebay, start looking at the aussie sellers with a solid history and whose items were at the $10 gram range.

It's always way better to get a quality piece straight off (even if you have paid more) than it is to have to go through any dispute which you may or may not win.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Keep doing the same thing and expect a different outcome? There's a saying for that.

You can shame eBay all you like, they won't know nor care. They don't read the boards - the boards are for members.

If you have determined this has been an issue for at least 9 years (almost definitely more), why do you persist in throwing your money away?

Unless, of course, you think you are getting a Rolls Royce for a Holden price and are disappointed when you get a Holden.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

The time to verify an item and complain, is when you receive the item, and you then have 30 days to make a claim.

Great pic of assorted items, that could have come from anywhere and who knows what they were described as.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

It was not evident to me that the items were not real silver until I wore them for a while (longer than 30 days) and the top layer wore thru to show it was not silver underneath!  
Each time I reported the seller for selling fake silver!  

The fact remains, the seller advertised the items as .925 Sterling silver.  That is not true!  The items even had the .925 stamp!  How is a regular buyer supposed to know they are fake!!!

cynthia
Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

And, each time I purchased a piece of jewellery I did so via another seller NOT the same seller.  
If one does a search for fine silver jewellery, even refining the search to cover only solid sterling silver in ebay right now, there are many sellers doing the same thing! Selling fake silver jewellery. 
ebay has a lot to answer for in my book.

cynthia
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

eBay do not read here

since you are aware it has been going on for so long, how many have you reported with proof

ebay do not check listings

it is up to buyers like you to report these thing with your proof to help stop it

not support these sellers over and over and then complain you have helped them stay in business

and then post on a member to member forum to ‘tell eBay’ something they are never going to see

where is the neg feedback you have left for sellers of what you say are fakes

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

This is a serious issue on eBay, the complete flooding of fake silver in the sterling silver categories.

For a seller trying to list genuine sterling silver pieces, it is a challenge to even get views on the items as the prices are naturally a lot higher than the fakes.

My suggestion when searching for a sterling silver ring, for instance, make sure you drill down further using the options on the left column. 

Especially always choose sterling silver in the Base Metal option, and make sure you only search in the Fine Jewellery category.

In addition, check that the item has 925 purity listed in the item specifics.

Most genuine sterling silver items will also include the weight of the item. If the price is less than $2 per gram, it is most likely a fake.

Generally, solid sterling silver usually retails for $5 per gram at the bargain end to $10 gram for nice quality pieces. 

Finally, stick with Australian sellers who have a solid selling history. 

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Wow, earthdreamer, what excellent information!

That is so specific and detailed. Extemely helpful to anyone looking for that type of jewellery.

Cynfran, I hope you have done a cut and paste and keep that stored where you can refer to it.

Unfortunately, there is a problem on ebay with some categories of items, where you may very well get a fake.

I'd be very wary of any so called brand name item from China, for example.

And even with Australian bought items, just the photo alone wouldn't be enough to convince ebay it was a fake. You'd probably need written proof and unless you paid a fair bit for your jewellery pieces, it might not be worthwhile. All the same, if you can get a clear photo of where the silver has worn through in a month, it might still be worth reporting, along with the sales details.

If you paid via paypal, you could try a claim with them. It would be worth a try, nothing to lose, but be careful how you word it. My daughter in law recently bought some custom made wallpaper (from overseas) but a professional paper hanger she hired later told her it would be impossible to hang properly without creases as the paper was all warped. Paypal just said it didn't cover the quality of the products. So I think you would need to concentrate on the fact your item is not as described, not .925 sterling silver.

Also, if you were to make claims on a  regular basis, I suspect paypal might soon clamp down on it.

You've had a lot of disappointing experiences on ebay when you've tried to buy this type of jewellery. If I were you, I'd turn to the real stores or else I'd do as earthdreamer said and if you intend to keep using ebay, start looking at the aussie sellers with a solid history and whose items were at the $10 gram range.

It's always way better to get a quality piece straight off (even if you have paid more) than it is to have to go through any dispute which you may or may not win.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

For anyone buying precious metals, jewelry, coins etc.  The very first thing you should do on receipt of the item, is to test it with a magnet.

Would I buy, or recommend buying precious metals via ebay?  No.

Then again I have bought counterfeit bullion from reputable auction houses.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

I would stress again – and again – that nobody is selling silver or gold, etc., at lower than its market index price.

The reason for one buying silver items online from various eBay sellers (often overseas) must be price. There’s a mindset that has itself firmly convinced that one can snap up wonderful genuine silver bargains in this way. Unless one changes that mindset to “one can be scammed into buying silver-coloured items thinking they are genuine silver bargains”, the scams will continue to catch victims.

You can’t see the item. You can’t weigh it. You can’t bite it, test it, ask a jeweller to appraise it. It’s a listing. So… before you buy, ask yourself, “Too good to be true?” And “Seller is a business, has an excellent reputation?” 

Even then, one can be fooled. But at least the risk is reduced.

I will only buy such stuff from accredited jewellers. Or… in the case of antique jewellery, I want to take precautions and start out by being sceptical. It’s recommended to get immediate appraisal by jeweller for insurance purposes, anyway.

BOTTOM LINE: don’t expect to snap up a bargain. Expect to pay near market value. Don’t buy from dodgy sources. 

Genuine silver is gorgeous and worth collecting. I hope you have better buying in future and gather a lovely collection of beautiful pieces you’ll enjoy wearing.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply