Feedback removal

I am getting beyond fed up with eBay at the top of a hat 'removing' negative feedbacks. Before I go further I completely understand the frustration for sellers as there are many buyers who leave negatives for the sake of it or in spite but mine was completely justified. A seller <Removed> after I paid for an item just 'canceled' my purchase for no reason. When questioned they became very unprofessional and started the name calling process.  As they violated eBay policy and after the name calling stint, I left negative feedback. Since then eBay have removed it ( request of seller of course) just like that!? Why do I get penalised for the seller committing a violation of eBay policy to begin with? This is the third time in five months this has happened and I am absolutely disgusted with eBay, so much for 'buyer protection'. I have zero confidence in eBay. It is getting worse.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Feedback removal

@mandy_n_daveyg wrote:

I am getting beyond fed up with eBay at the top of a hat 'removing' negative feedbacks. Before I go further I completely understand the frustration for sellers as there are many buyers who leave negatives for the sake of it or in spite but mine was completely justified. A seller <Removed> after I paid for an item just 'canceled' my purchase for no reason. When questioned they became very unprofessional and started the name calling process.  As they violated eBay policy and after the name calling stint, I left negative feedback. Since then eBay have removed it ( request of seller of course) just like that!? Why do I get penalised for the seller committing a violation of eBay policy to begin with? This is the third time in five months this has happened and I am absolutely disgusted with eBay, so much for 'buyer protection'. I have zero confidence in eBay. It is getting worse.

Hi, sorry to hear of your dilemma. Sounds unfair. At times we hear of sellers cancelling transactions and coming up with elaborate excuses and stories when they have an item that didn't get the desired amount in an auction. With your case it sounds like a "Buy it Now" sale. Well, at the very least you should have had a proper response from the seller. Sounds like the seller was on the defensive straight away which may be an indication they're not being straight with you.

With feedback, you have to be very careful with how it's worded. Keeping it factual without any emotion is best. Sadly this FB removal is unhelpful to buyers who need to make informed decisions when dealing with sellers.

Yes, I do agree that it is getting worse.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Feedback removal

"buyer protection" does not apply to feedback".

I have never had a neg removed.

I had four experiences with cancellations a while back. I waited a few weeks then left negs. None were removed.

I did not contact the sellers.

What reason did the seller provide when you received the cancellation notice?

What did your feedback say?

Keep in mind that a seller cancelling a sale is not a "violation of eBay policy"... eBay provide sellers with the tools to do so.

If the seller cancelled as Out Of Stock they would receive a selling defect.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Feedback removal

Some sellers sell on other sites too and sometimes they don't promptly remove the item they have sold from eBay (after they sell it on another site). This is annoying, of course, but sometimes they might not be online between the time they sold it on another site and the time they sell it on eBay. Sometimes they might have lost or broken the item...

Of course they certainly should not insult a buyer who is not happy about the cancellation of an order. And they should be honest about the reason for the cancellation. Honesty always helps.  Did you tell eBay that you have been insulted?

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Feedback removal

You tend to leave very succinct and to the point feedback, even your neutrals are well worded and to the point, so I doubt it was anything you put in your FB that had it removed, but as the seller broke no eBay 'rules' during the 'transaction' they can have neg removed without much hassle.

If they sent abusive messages you can report that also as that is a definite NO go.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Feedback removal

Yes, I had looked at the fb the OP left and I doubt the seller feared bad fb. There are many other reasons why a seller may cancel. An explanation would usually be nice so that buyers understand it is not personal.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Feedback removal

it   happens

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Feedback removal

byronnatives
Community Member

Seems to be a pretty common event these day's.

Ebay protects bad high volume sellers to the detriment of the buyers.

That being said you do have to be careful how it is worded, as the slightest excuse lets them remove it.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply