Filter sellers for high star ratings in search

jedik9
Community Member

Any idea if it's possible to filter eBay search results to ensure only sellers with a high star rating show up in the results?

Seems like a pretty obvious thing a buyer would want to do, and would encourage all sellers on eBay to lift and/or keep their standards high.

if eBay wont allow this sort of very basic feature.. I'll probably shift over to Amazon.

Been a loyal eBayer for over a decade but really fed up with companies who wont put the interests of their customers first. 

Sellers might be eBay customers too, but .. eBay wont make a cent ff a seller if reliable honest buyers dump eBay!

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I am not sure how it would encourage sellers to lift their game when the majority of buyers can't be bothered to leave feedback, let alone star ratings

And even if they did, it is not a true reflection of anything

I very much doubt eBay will introduce it, so best shift over

eBay do not read here and do not take suggestions 

There is nothing stopping you checking who you are buying from before doing so if is that important

It takes the click of one button to check feedback 

And as for buyers dumping eBay, eBay are not even going to notice when one person leaves since there is always many more to take their place   

(and amazing how many people post a demand here and 'if eBay don't do what I want, I'll leave') only still still be posting and buying months later

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Yep .. agreed there is nothing stopping ppl from checking Rating of Sellers by clicking into every single posting ... kinda not very customer friendly to force ppl to do that though.

Technically a filter for Sellers by rating is super easy to create in a websites code.

It's by design they choose not to if the option is not there.

If you can't see how sellers would lift their game with that sort of feature, then no point having this conversation between us. <shrug> .. Sounds like you might be a seller if you can't see the value in that filter for customers.

Not sure "most buyers don't bother leaving feedback" is correct. The fact that there are thousands of ratings on good sellers begs to differ ... again .. your comments seem to indicate you might be a seller.

Correct though - one person leaving eBay wont be noticed. That kind of attitude will eventually result in any company losing more and more customers. They definitely won't care about me in particular ... but I notice Amazon is on the rise in Oz and eBay is not.

Good luck to you as a seller not seeing the value of filters based on rating ... 🙂

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

@sandypebbles wrote:

I am not sure how it would encourage sellers to lift their game when the majority of buyers can't be bothered to leave feedback, let alone star ratings

Agree with all your comments but want to add my conclusion that often feedback says more about the person writing it than the buyer/seller.

It has been interesting reading the feedback left for others by some of the more disgruntled posters on these boards. Sometimes the lack of feedback is very telling.

Weeding out sellers with only a high rating could result in missing out on a great purchase from a new seller.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

You could just filter by ebay plus listings, which require sellers to be top rated or above standard.

If that is your main concern when buying.

Sellers not listing as ebay plus, will not know or care that you are not looking at their items.

Edit:

Just to add, buyers who leave feedback are in the minority, approx 20%

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

agreed there is nothing stopping ppl from checking Rating of Sellers by clicking into every single posting ... kinda not very customer friendly to force ppl to do that though.

To see seller feedback number and percentage it is not necessary to open individual listings; search results can be customized to show seller info including feedback number and percentage.

Although it is not possible to sort or filter search results by feedback numbers, this at least allows a buyer to rule out certain sellers that do not meet certain minimum feedback numbers while scanning search results without having to open individual listings.

eburtonlab_0-1673153676843.png

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply