Foreign sellers using 30 day wait to circumvent dispute resolution

syncman0x
Community Member

I had purchased a bar code scanner from a seller in another country. It had a fauly USB interface. The seller suggested sending this back for a replacement.

After sending it via registered post, and contacting the seller within 3 weeks, he said this had not arrived.

I had purchased a parcel of two identical items from a seller in another country. One worked, while the other did not start up.

The seller advised I send the faulty item back. Having learned from the previous example, I agreed to send this back on the condition he sends me a replacement.

The item he sent me was in even worse condition, failing to power up at all.

I have the problem that these sellers are using the standard 30-45 day waiting period to circumvent the dispute resolution process. Next time, I could initiate this right away, when the product arrives, but how do I explain to them that I am doing everything I can to resolve the problem with the seller?

Note to trolls; do not state the obvious. I have computers for a reason, so that I do not ever require your services of disrespectfully stating the obvious.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Having had something similar happen not long ago I can sympathise with you.

Itโ€™s very simple.... Even though you are discussing with the seller still start a dispute. Let the seller know you are doing this and if things you will close the dispute when you get a working model of whatever you have bought.

Cos I try and only buy within Australia, or will only deal with very high rated OS sellers.

Happy buying

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

As freightcar said open at 43-44 days (45 day deadline) and you have 20 days to escalate to a claim. Total of 64 days. ๐Ÿ™‚

image host
Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

syncman0x
Community Member

Thank you; this is helpful as I never know when I may next need to test this.

Local sellers raise these issues also. Generally, they can be worse because even though it doesn't take more than 2 days to put items into transit, they seldom know what they are selling, what to provide, or even how to test items properly.

The only local traders that do not give me these issues, are the ones that sell enterprise ready equipment; their $300-$1000 price tags are a bargin for what these great traders can provide.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

The other solution is buy locally .....

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

I could initiate this right away, when the product arrives, but how do I explain to them that I am doing everything I can to resolve the problem with the seller?

You don't have to explain anything.

Opening a Paypal dispute is just the initial stage and all communication is between you and the seller, if you do not reach a resolution that you are both happy with then you escalate to a claim and you are now dealing with Paypal who will review your communication with the seller and make a decision.

For anything other than a cheap item you should always go through the dispute process to get the seller's return address. If you send it back without doing that and they put an alternative address for return even if you have posted by a qualifying method you will lose the claim.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

I had the same problem, and I made the mistake of initially thinking I was purchasing something from a local company.  It seemed like it - until the item packed in!

Thank goodness it was of low value, because I was strung along with promises until the claim period had expired.

The really irksome part is if I want to buy a replacement I think they are all from the same country (and for all I know, the same seller) :_| no matter what the seller's details are.  So I still haven't worked out what to do about it.

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

If you item does not arrive within two weeks, put it in dispute straight away which will avoid the buying of time to avoid negative feedback. There is no excuse in mail holdups in the world today. Some companies are selling stuff they don't even stock. Some Hong Kong companies are giving the rest a bad name.

Ebay needs to address this as it effects their own credibility in having some responsibility in the solving of these issues. Some of these crooked companies are getting away with keeping the dough and never intending to send goods.

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

I

Ebay needs to address this as it effects their own credibility in having some responsibility in the solving of these issues. Some of these crooked companies are getting away with keeping the dough and never intending to send goods.

Why do people always have to blame somebody else?  eBay and PP do clearly state you have 45 days to start dispute.  If people do not open dispute within the 45 days, WHY is PP or eBay to blame???   The crooked companies are getting away with it because people let them.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

syncman0x
Community Member

Thanks for this. The time I returned the bar code scanner, I had calmly asked about the USB interface and the seller provided a return address.

It did not occur to me that this seller would deliberately wish to loose his inventory, by providing a fake address. That is part of the dilemma; few have the luxury of time to be thinking of all the tricks like this.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply