Free Postage that isn't really Free

Morning,

I have purchased eBay item number:132883628236 which clearly states FREE Postage, but yesterday I received a card in my letterbox to collect an item BUT they are requesting I pay $7.80 when I collect it. Well tome then this is clearly NOT Free Postage as advertised. I should of checked the company feedback prior to purchase as it is very clear by all the neg's that have recieved that they do this quite often and obviously keep getting away with it as they are continuing to do it over & over....So I have contacted the seller asking for a refund of my purchase price, but also reading feedback it looks like they don't bother to repsond, so I am not expecting a response, but obviously I now then just lodge a dispute with is it Ebay or Pay Pal? and I leave the item at the postoffice and not collect it? Just wanting to make sure I do all the right things to ensure I get my purchase price refunded. I know it's not much, but by time I add this postage cost if I was to pay to the purchase price, I may as well have bought a better quality item in the first place. thanks

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Free Postage that isn't really Free

Guess I was just away with the faires that particular day as it is something I would normally do 😞

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

It is obviously under paid from the seller.

Just contact the seller and explain.

I have had this happen before and the seller has happily part refunded the postage debt before I have collected the parcel.

image host
Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

At first look I thought that too, but looking at their previous feedback from other buyers, it appears to be something they do often. It is like they offer free postage to suck you in, then post off with no postage paid at all and expect buyer to cough up on their end when collecting.....I ahve contacted so will see what they say, just wanted to be prepared for what I think will happen...Nothing !

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

Like Maxwell Smart would say 'it's the oldest trick in the book'.

Did it have a return address on it?

I wouldn't think so otherwise you could just return to sender.

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

I am yet to collect the item as yet from the Post Office and I'm a little reluctant to incase they don't issue the postage refund.

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

@the_walsh*s wrote:

At first look I thought that too, but looking at their previous feedback from other buyers, it appears to be something they do often. It is like they offer free postage to suck you in, then post off with no postage paid at all and expect buyer to cough up on their end when collecting.....I ahve contacted so will see what they say, just wanted to be prepared for what I think will happen...Nothing !

Collect the item...pay the postage...use it as a lesson to ALWAYS CHECK FEEDBACK PRIOR TO PURCHASE...the seller has terrible feedback...I would not buy from them if you gave me the money.

If the item is not as desribed or of  poor quality (great chance that it will be) then open a case to return.

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

The listing says it all.

Why wouldn't you click on the negs in the listing?

negs.PNG

They obviously send as a letter.

Cheap junk....it will be an INAD

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

Guess I was just away with the faires that particular day as it is something I would normally do 😞

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

@the_walsh*s wrote:

Collect the item...pay the postage...use it as a lesson to ALWAYS CHECK FEEDBACK PRIOR TO PURCHASE...the seller has terrible feedback...I would not buy from them if you gave me the money.

If the item is not as desribed or of  poor quality (great chance that it will be) then open a case to return.

I'm inclined to agree with this.  The feedback system is in place for one reason - to help protect buyers from unscrupulous sellers.  If you don't bother to check their feedback first, you can't really complain.  On the listing page the feedback score is clearly visible and if it's less than 100% you should ALWAYS check further.

If you bought an item that was sent as a parcel it'll have tracking and if you don't collect it the tracking will show as delivered but not collected, which means you'll have no hope of getting ANY money back. It'll most likely be sent to the dead letter office as there's unlikely to be a return address on it, so you won't have any proof it was returned.  If there was a return address the sender would be the one who'd be charged the underpaid postage.  The best chance you've got is to accept the fact that you';re paying for your mistake in not checking feedback and pick up the item.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

Scrap the last half of what I said. If they didn't pay any postage at all there's unlikely to be any tracking on it.
Message 10 of 27
Latest reply