GLOBALS LATEST RIPPOFF!

just a heads up dealing with the global shipping centre... be care full what you buy from the US to be shipped. they are not only charging overly inflated shipping prices but  they are confiscating what they deem as a restricted item . for me it was a perfectly legal antique knife.. i got my money back no problem , but whats the point  of even bidding on a relative item if they just class it as restricted and conforscate it ... has ebay lost the plot!! 

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: GLOBALS LATEST RIPPOFF!

i have complained to Ebay of my  situation and asked a simple question ..... what right has global got to confiscate legal items are they a government registered customs/ border control  service? i will post ""IF"" they reply  it was a mission within itself just to find a contact that wasn't automated !

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

Pitney Bowes has every right to decide what they will or will not ship to Australia but they should take more notice of the Australian import rules.

As a logistics service PB is responsible for pre clearing goods into Australia.  What that means is that they guarantee that everything they bring into the country is legal.  Once the items are unloaded Customs will do a cursory inspection of a few items.....if everything is OK the rest is just allowed through with no further checks.

Essentially PB is being super careful of their own reputation....too many mistakes and they will lose their status with Australian Customs.

I must say though that I believe they are overzealous.....a very few knives are not allowed into Australia so PB will not ship ANY knife.

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

They are a private company. No connections to governments. Simply setting their own rules as what they will process. They don't actually post anything. Generally they use FedEx. No conspiracy, no agenda, just a logistics company deciding what parameters they will use for the items they process.

Restrictive? Yes. Unreasonable? Yes.

As 4channel said, talk to the seller and see if they will post outside of the GSP.

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

Well, the coolness that eBay had has diminished greatly since they started allowing  the Pitney Bowes GSP (Global Shipping) to be used. So there is great sense in what you said with "has ebay lost the plot!! "

I feel for you as you even though you were refunded, have been greatly inconvenienced and have lost precious / valuable time. You won't get that back!

I have great success in asking the seller if they could please change shipping to USPS First Class Int. or the UK equiv' if in the UK. Nearly all are happy to do so. There are a few exceptions though (I can share funny stories on this).  Not surprising, many sellers have no idea that their overseas sales are going via GSP.

BTW: In theory an antique item such as a sword which has been scored for a super bargain could be confiscated and then later  re-sold by Pitney Bowes for a huge profit.

4chan, it's Royal Mail in the UK. If you're going to keep repeating the same thing every time someone mentions the GSP, then at least put the correct carrier company in, instead of "the UK equivalent". That way people can check the Royal Mail site if they wish to compare postage charges.

I actually don't ask sellers to ship via a different carrier if they have listed with GSP, as a lot use it for the seller protection it gives them and I don't want to take that away from them. If there is more than one item I want, I ask them if they could do a combined listing, and explain why (as you know, there is no combined shipping with GSP, and I ask them to revise a listing, rather than create a new one, so they don't lose a possible free listing). I also ask that they include the weight and dimensions of the item, so the postage cost is more realistic. The last time I did that, the cost would have been (from distant memory) $22.90 with USPS and it ended up being around $24.60 with GSP, so really not much difference. To my amazement, the items arrived in under 10 calendar days.

That said, if I was buying a knife, or a drum kit, then I would probably ask if they could change. For a drum kit, it would actually cost more to change to USPS because for large bulky items, GSP is WAY cheaper than USPS.

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

4chan, it's Royal Mail in the UK. If you're going to keep repeating the same thing every time someone mentions the GSP, then at least put the correct carrier company in, instead of "the UK equivalent". That way people can check the Royal Mail site if they wish to compare postage charges.

The name is 4channel *tippy*toes*. I'm not Charlie Chan's #4 sson. Not even #1.  Yes, that's right, Royal mail is the UK equivalent of th US post.

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I actually don't ask sellers to ship via a different carrier if they have listed with GSP, as a lot use it for the seller protection it gives them and I don't want to take that away from them.

Don't you?? I thought you had asked sellers in the past. Anyway, you're not taking anything away from a seller. You'll be taking a way a possible headache from a seller if the thing goes pear shaped which seems to be happening a fair bit. Five times or so that I have had to interact with GSP I have had 2 damages (DVD box set), (Record LP)  and 1 near damage (ultra rare VHS tapes).

You'll actually be giving them an opportunity to make more dough from overseas sales as people won't be turned away when they see GSP.

Yes some sellers may use GSP for the so-called protection. Many have no idea that their overseas sales are going that way. If they don't set their page up properly for overseas shippping (or something) the GSP attatches itself to their auction / sale. This is why the majority of sellers are more than happy to change to USPS or UK post Royal Mail for me when I ask them.

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

. If there is more than one item I want, I ask them if they could do a combined listing, and explain why (as you know, there is no combined shipping with GSP, and I ask them to revise a listing, rather than create a new one, so they don't lose a possible free listing). I also ask that they include the weight and dimensions of the item, so the postage cost is more realistic. The last time I did that, the cost would have been (from distant memory) $22.90 with USPS and it ended up being around $24.60 with GSP, so really not much difference. To my amazement, the items arrived in under 10 calendar days.

Yes, that's not a bad idea asking for a multiple listing so the seller can combine. Just keep in mind though that between the time you post request to seller and the time they read it and re-list, some keen eyed punter can snap that desired item up in an instant! Anyway, going to that effort, I just ask seller .... Please can you re-list on USPS so I can get extra item as a "buy mate" and seller usually always says "Yeah sure"!

That's good speed for your GSP item to arrive in 10 days. Nice one! Sometimes you hit it on the right time and it goes good.

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

That said, if I was buying a knife, or a drum kit, then I would probably ask if they could change. For a drum kit, it would actually cost more to change to USPS because for large bulky items, GSP is WAY cheaper than USPS.

That may be so but with large bulky items. Most people shop local.

Economy is cheaper than USPS  & Royal Mail and way cheaper than GSP, but the tracking I believe is not that good. I used to get stuff in about a month via economy. Once 3 weeks just under I think.  But with what's happening in the world at this time, maybe not such a good idea unless from a seller you have a real good history with or one with top rating.

Good luck with your future buys.

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

Yes some sellers may use GSP for the so-called protection.

Seller protection through the GSP is very good....the item is tracked and insured and once it arrives at the GSP hub the seller has no more responsibility for the item.  If it goes missing the seller does not refund....Pitney Bowes does.

Many have no idea that their overseas sales are going that way. If they don't set their page up properly for overseas shippping (or something) the GSP attatches itself to their auction / sale.

Many sellers do not sell overseas at all and have no idea that ebay has put the GSP on their listings.  All they know is that they post to Erlanger KY, which is just local postage.  They are often surprised if they have contact with the buyer to learn that the buyer is overseas.

This is why the majority of sellers are more than happy to change to USPS or UK post Royal Mail for me when I ask them.

The majority of sellers are NOT happy to change to USPS or Royal Mail, especially if they don't normally sell overseas and have been opted into the GSP by ebay.

Yes, that's not a bad idea asking for a multiple listing so the seller can combine. Just keep in mind though that between the time you post request to seller and the time they read it and re-list, some keen eyed punter can snap that desired item up in an instant!

It would depend entirely on what you are buying.....I doubt that it would be a problem with anything I would buy.....and I know that the particular item Tippy was referring to would not have been snapped up like that.

Anyway, going to that effort, I just ask seller .... Please can you re-list on USPS so I can get extra item as a "buy mate" and seller usually always says "Yeah sure"!

I would say you have been very lucky if that is the usual reply that you get.

That's good speed for your GSP item to arrive in 10 days. Nice one! Sometimes you hit it on the right time and it goes good.

In the early days of the GSP the usual arrival time was 10-14 days....but that time gradually became longer and longer.   It is often not Pitney Bowes fault either.  They pay FedEx for an economy delivery service which means they have longer to deliver the items once they arrive in Australia than if PB actually paid for the premium service that they advertise.

That may be so but with large bulky items. Most people shop local.

They only shop locally because they refuse to believe that the GSP can be very cost effective for larger bulky items.

Economy is cheaper than USPS  & Royal Mail and way cheaper than GSP, but the tracking I believe is not that good. I used to get stuff in about a month via economy.

Economy what....seamail, airmail, economy USPS.  You can't make a sweeping statement about economy delivery without specifying what sort of service you are talking about.

Once 3 weeks just under I think.  But with what's happening in the world at this time, maybe not such a good idea unless from a seller you have a real good history with or one with top rating.

Good luck with your future buys.

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Seller protection through the GSP is very good....the item is tracked and insured and once it arrives at the GSP hub the seller has no more responsibility for the item.  If it goes missing the seller does not refund....Pitney Bowes does.

Yes, that's true as far as seller having no more responsibility. With USPS, it's record of being able to safely ship items to different locations is superb. There is a minimal amount of items that are lost or damaged. There's probably a higher amount of items damaged, lost through the Pitney Bowes GSP due to the bad re-packing  ((I can testify to that )), double handling and using a different carrier inn the process. When this happens, regardless of refund etc., it will create a dissatisfied customer because they will not buy from that seller again. The customer would have wasted weeks out of their life waiting in anticipation for their prize and then it can turn into a headache to go through the motions of getting their money back.

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Many sellers do not sell overseas at all and have no idea that ebay has put the GSP on their listings.  All they know is that they post to Erlanger KY, which is just local postage.  They are often surprised if they have contact with the buyer to learn that the buyer is overseas.

The majority of sellers are NOT happy to change to USPS or Royal Mail, especially if they don't normally sell overseas and have been opted into the GSP by ebay.

Yes probably true in the first. Many sellers have no idea that their item has gone overseas. But that in itself is not good because as a seller (if I was selling again), I would like to know where my items are going. It makes good sales sense and provides important info in  knowing where to make changes for the better, streamlining, improving description, or adding info to auction page etc..

You say ....  The majority of sellers are NOT happy to change to USPS or Royal Mail    Well,  I disagree. OK, talking about the non-overseas selling folk, now. Well, many of those few sellers that don't sell overseas may not. But if GSP wasn't around and speaking in general, the majority would be open to the idea of selling overseas.  And how do I know that? Well, I've been buying on eBay (and selling in the early days) since around 2002.. So many times I had asked seller how much to send to Aust. and the answer would be ...  "Ok, just wait until auction ends and I'll send you an invoice for the total"..

Even with GSP, the majority of sellers I approach are happy to sell overseas and change the listing to USPS First Class etc.. Same for UK. And this is the case even if they don't sell overseas. The majority of my requests have been met with success.

@lyndal1838 wrote:
It would depend entirely on what you are buying.....I doubt that it would be a problem with anything I would buy.....and I know that the particular item Tippy was referring to would not have been snapped up like that.

Yes true it is dependant on what you buy. For someone who wants not so common items then it is a risk to wait fo a seller to update a page or whatever as that item can be snapped up by someone with a keen eye. And there are many of them around. Obviously the item that *tippy*toes* got wasn't one that would get snapped up  quickly.

I have done quite well in asking sellers if they would please change the listing. One item last year that  I bought straight away and was shipped via GSP  got damaged. It was fairly rare too.

@lyndal1838 wrote:

In the early days of the GSP the usual arrival time was 10-14 days....but that time gradually became longer and longer.   It is often not Pitney Bowes fault either.  They pay FedEx for an economy delivery service which means they have longer to deliver the items once they arrive in Australia than if PB actually paid for the premium service that they advertise.

Yes, I would say that's true.

@lyndal1838 wrote:

They only shop locally because they refuse to believe that the GSP can be very cost effective for larger bulky items.

I disagree. People shop locally for large bulky items regardless of USPS or GSP. It makes good sense.  With USPS the prices have gone up. So folks hunt around here.

With GSP, large bulky items may sometimes be cheaper than USPS but the import duty is a killer.  They travel slower too.

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Economy what....seamail, airmail, economy USPS.  You can't make a sweeping statement about economy delivery without specifying what sort of service you are talking about.

Fair enough, there's different types of economy. The item I got via economy from the US was a DVD. only cost about $3. The one from Europe (Germany I think Smiley Frustrated wasn't much more. Both arrived in under a month, one just under 3 weeks.

I have seen larger items for sale like VTR and DVD player for around $40 to come here. Obviously that would go via sea and I would say that the tracking wouldn't be that great.

BTW: Turned out all good in the end. I have a very long history with the seller who is very reliable and accurate with grading.

I actually had a parcel from the US sent to me. I paid for USPS but seller mistakenly sent it via economy. Aust. Post told me that by looking at the tracking number. Unlike tracking with USPS First Class, it only showed the post date  and nothing more. It took 2 months to arrive.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Yes, that's true as far as seller having no more responsibility. With USPS, it's record of being able to safely ship items to different locations is superb. There is a minimal amount of items that are lost or damaged. There's probably a higher amount of items damaged, lost through the Pitney Bowes GSP due to the bad re-packing  ((I can testify to that )), double handling and using a different carrier inn the process. When this happens, regardless of refund etc., it will create a dissatisfied customer because they will not buy from that seller again. The customer would have wasted weeks out of their life waiting in anticipation for their prize and then it can turn into a headache to go through the motions of getting their money back.

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Yes probably true in the first. Many sellers have no idea that their item has gone overseas. But that in itself is not good because as a seller (if I was selling again), I would like to know where my items are going. It makes good sales sense and provides important info in  knowing where to make changes for the better, streamlining, improving description, or adding info to auction page etc..

You say ....  The majority of sellers are NOT happy to change to USPS or Royal Mail    Well,  I disagree. OK, talking about the non-overseas selling folk, now. Well, many of those few sellers that don't sell overseas may not. But if GSP wasn't around and speaking in general, the majority would be open to the idea of selling overseas.  And how do I know that? Well, I've been buying on eBay (and selling in the early days) since around 2002.. So many times I had asked seller how much to send to Aust. and the answer would be ...  "Ok, just wait until auction ends and I'll send you an invoice for the total"..

Even with GSP, the majority of sellers I approach are happy to sell overseas and change the listing to USPS First Class etc.. Same for UK. And this is the case even if they don't sell overseas. The majority of my requests have been met with success.

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Yes true it is dependant on what you buy. For someone who wants not so common items then it is a risk to wait fo a seller to update a page or whatever as that item can be snapped up by someone with a keen eye. And there are many of them around. Obviously the item that *tippy*toes* got wasn't one that would get snapped up  quickly.

I have done quite well in asking sellers if they would please change the listing. One item last year that  I bought straight away and was shipped via GSP  got damaged. It was fairly rare too.

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Yes, I would say that's true.

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I disagree. People shop locally for large bulky items regardless of USPS or GSP. It makes good sense.  With USPS the prices have gone up. So folks hunt around here.

With GSP, large bulky items may sometimes be cheaper than USPS but the import duty is a killer.  They travel slower too.

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Fair enough, there's different types of economy. The item I got via economy from the US was a DVD. only cost about $3. The one from Europe (Germany I think Smiley Frustrated wasn't much more. Both arrived in under a month, one just under 3 weeks.

I have seen larger items for sale like VTR and DVD player for around $40 to come here. Obviously that would go via sea and I would say that the tracking wouldn't be that great.

BTW: Turned out all good in the end. I have a very long history with the seller who is very reliable and accurate with grading.

I actually had a parcel from the US sent to me. I paid for USPS but seller mistakenly sent it via economy. Aust. Post told me that by looking at the tracking number. Unlike tracking with USPS First Class, it only showed the post date  and nothing more. It took 2 months to arrive.

It's not a case of may be cheaper for large items being sent via GSP, it IS cheaper. Sometimes significantly cheaper. The item I bought was 5.5kg. It wasn't available in Australia. It cost $US69 to be sent via GSP. At that stage I had heard horror stories about GSP, so investigated what it would cost to be sent via USPS. From memory, it was going to be around $US128 (I can't remember the exact amount, but it was over $US100. There was no import duty, as it was under $1,000. Surprisingly, it arrived in under 2 weeks.

You buy small items that are under the weight and size limit, so they can be sent via First Class. Once you go over that limit (4lb I think), the price skyrockets. Like I mean REALLY skyrockets. It borders on robbery.

If only sellers would put the weight and dimensions in their listings, the postage price would be comparable and there wouldn't be all these threads about GSP costs. It really is literally only a few $$ difference. If they did that, we wouldn't be seeing earrings with a postage cost of $150.

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

I like the way you said .....  " Once you go over that limit (4lb I think), the price skyrockets. Like I mean REALLY skyrockets. It borders on robbery.". Yes, USPS is more expensive on heavier items than what they used to be.  The majority of what I buy from overseas are less than 4 LB so USPS First Class suits just fine.

Talking of import charges, looking at a Sansui  Cassette Deck for US $399, postage by GSP is US $124.47 with import charges of US $61.61.

If a seller in the US or  Europe offers an Economy service which is way cheaper than GSP and USPS First Class etc., I'm not sure if I would take that option on an expensive item. The way things are in the world today with all of this corona virus carry on, there could be long delays. As I mentioned in another post, the tracking with the Economy service my item went via only showed it was posted. There was no other indication of progress until it eventually arrived.

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply