GLOBALS LATEST RIPPOFF!

just a heads up dealing with the global shipping centre... be care full what you buy from the US to be shipped. they are not only charging overly inflated shipping prices but  they are confiscating what they deem as a restricted item . for me it was a perfectly legal antique knife.. i got my money back no problem , but whats the point  of even bidding on a relative item if they just class it as restricted and conforscate it ... has ebay lost the plot!! 

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

GLOBALS LATEST RIPPOFF!

Like it or not that has been the case for many years now (any knife comes under that banner, even down to a lowly butter knife), they have apparently confiscated guitars in the past as well as other items deemed by them to be "illegal imports".

At least you've got your money back so hopefully another will come up for you to buy.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

GLOBALS LATEST RIPPOFF!

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It is not new.

In fact a knife was one of th first items to be confiscated by Pitney Bowes when the GSP first started many years ago.

You were very lucky to get your money back without a fuss.....in the past members have had to fight tooth and nail to get refunds for confiscated items.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

GLOBALS LATEST RIPPOFF!

Given that Pitney Bowes is not owned by eBay, and set their own (very conservative) rules, it has nothing to do with eBay. Except that they have contracted PB to provide the GSP.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

GLOBALS LATEST RIPPOFF!

ok, i didn't know i usually stay clear of global because of the outragous shipping costs , this time a made an offer and the seller excepted so it worked out alright .. another lesson learned and another reason not to use global.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

GLOBALS LATEST RIPPOFF!

well therefore it has everything to do with Ebay hasn't it?
Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

GLOBALS LATEST RIPPOFF!

Always, always look elsewhere before you buy an item from a seller using the GSP.

For the most part Pitney Bowes make their own rules as to what is restricted for sending to Australia.

If nothing else you will probably save money on the shipping charges by using the USPS.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

GLOBALS LATEST RIPPOFF!

@creekman51 wrote:

just a heads up dealing with the global shipping centre... be care full what you buy from the US to be shipped. they are not only charging overly inflated shipping prices but  they are confiscating what they deem as a restricted item . for me it was a perfectly legal antique knife.. i got my money back no problem , but whats the point  of even bidding on a relative item if they just class it as restricted and conforscate it ... has ebay lost the plot!! 

Well, the coolness that eBay had has diminished greatly since they started allowing  the Pitney Bowes GSP (Global Shipping) to be used. So there is great sense in what you said with "has ebay lost the plot!! "

I feel for you as you even though you were refunded, have been greatly inconvenienced and have lost precious / valuable time. You won't get that back!

I have great success in asking the seller if they could please change shipping to USPS First Class Int. or the UK equiv' if in the UK. Nearly all are happy to do so. There are a few exceptions though (I can share funny stories on this).  Not surprising, many sellers have no idea that their overseas sales are going via GSP.

BTW: In theory an antique item such as a sword which has been scored for a super bargain could be confiscated and then later  re-sold by Pitney Bowes for a huge profit.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

GLOBALS LATEST RIPPOFF!

@4channel wrote:

BTW: In theory an antique item such as a sword which has been scored for a super bargain could be confiscated and then later  re-sold by Pitney Bowes for a huge profit.

Pitney Bowes apparently has an eBay selling ID in the US where they list most if not all of the "confiscated" items.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

GLOBALS LATEST RIPPOFF!

OK, I didn't know that. I thought they re-sold elsewhere. Interesting.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply