Grossly inflated prices compared to retail but endorsed by eBay as a "Great Price" Why?

Always makes me wonder what constitutes the requirements for eBay to add the "GREAT PRICE" icon to a seller's listing. 

I regularly see items listed with the eBay "Great Price" tag but a little homework shows all to often they are selling for 20 to 30% more than the retail price. Why?

Take for example Ryobi 18v power tools.

eBay endorsed "Great Price" for an Air Inflator is listed at $153.77 but retails for $109 everyday at Bunnings. Similarly the Multitool eBay "Great Price" listed at $136.60 yet again only $99.98 everyday at Bunnings. 

The eBay "Great Price" is thoroughly misleading to the unwary and yes I know shopper beware, check your prices before you buy anything, but I would have though an eBay endorsed "Great Price" item should really be indicating a good deal and not a significant ripoff.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Grossly inflated prices compared to retail but endorsed by eBay as a "Great Price" Why

Even if it's black?

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

Re: Grossly inflated prices compared to retail but endorsed by eBay as a "Great Price" Why

Black is one of the essential colours (if I can call it a colour) for a satin cloak.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

Black is the only colour. Although the black lining is now purple...

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

eBay is not google, or an independent shopping comparison site. 

They look at items on their own site, check what the average / most popularly / biggest selling listing's price is and slap a "trending at $xx.xx" and "great price" label on listings that are a little below those. 

It is not a "greatest price in Australia" label, it's a "good price on eBay" label.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply