Grossly inflated prices compared to retail but endorsed by eBay as a "Great Price" Why?

Always makes me wonder what constitutes the requirements for eBay to add the "GREAT PRICE" icon to a seller's listing. 

I regularly see items listed with the eBay "Great Price" tag but a little homework shows all to often they are selling for 20 to 30% more than the retail price. Why?

Take for example Ryobi 18v power tools.

eBay endorsed "Great Price" for an Air Inflator is listed at $153.77 but retails for $109 everyday at Bunnings. Similarly the Multitool eBay "Great Price" listed at $136.60 yet again only $99.98 everyday at Bunnings. 

The eBay "Great Price" is thoroughly misleading to the unwary and yes I know shopper beware, check your prices before you buy anything, but I would have though an eBay endorsed "Great Price" item should really be indicating a good deal and not a significant ripoff.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Grossly inflated prices compared to retail but endorsed by eBay as a "Great Price" Why?

@edwardnap wrote:

Always makes me wonder what constitutes the requirements for eBay to add the "GREAT PRICE" icon to a seller's listing. 

convenience?  The convenience of shopping from home, ‘free postage’, comparison to other listing prices?  Who knows?

For items like this I would never buy on eBay.  I want a store receipt from an authorised seller of the equipment.

As you noted, it is up to buyers to do their homework.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Maybe the folks who are happy to pay the 'grossly inflated price' live in Woop Woop and can't get to a 'Bunnings' (or any other store)

Maybe some folks have enough $$$$ to waste not to care

Maybe some folks can't do their own shopping nor have someone to do it for them

I doubt eBay have real world, real time 'price reviewers' to check such things 

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

I've seen this when looking for books and CDs. 

I think it's a 'GREAT PRICE' for the seller and eBay.   Definitely not for the buyer in any case.  LOL

For me it's a red flag to look elsewhere.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Seriously, have you ever seen any retailer anywhere advertise their items as 'expensive price', 'grossly inflated price' or any thing like that?

No, of course not. It's always 'bargain price' 'great discount' 'special deal' and so on.

Why would you expect ebay to be any different?

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

I had a sudden vision of a man hawking his goods with "Oyez, oyez, grossly over-inflated prices on poor quality items, come up, come up, and grab yourself a rip-off!"

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

But he would have a bell and a medieval costume.

Surely that counts for a few dollars?

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Unbranded bell, paper costume...

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

You're a hard marker.

I guess my satin cloak wouldn't make your grade.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Your satin cloak would get you an A+ and Top Status and a key to the city.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply