H.H. Concerned about an item ? Have an experienced member look at it for you.

This thread is so members can have experienced ebayers check a listing if there is a concern of the item not being genuine, hijacked account, potential scam listing or something seems suspicious.

At the same time it may assist eBay in making the site a better trading place for the genuine members.

The thread has a few rules we need to adhere to for it to be successful.

1. To post a querie here, copy n paste the title of the item and express your concerns without devulging any personal details.

(No item numbers or eBay ID's)

2. Every member intending to report a listing should do so on their own findings and not on the heresay of others.

3. If you plan to investigate and report a members concern do not make accusations and convey it without being slanderous.

4. Please try to limit the number of posts on the one topic as the thread is designed to be more of a Q and A rather than a discussion.

(Points 2-4 are mostly for responders and readers assisting in reporting)

Lets make eBay a better place for members. Smiley Wink

(Inspired by go-tazz and others of the past)

image host
Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

images (1).jpg

Bumping back to the top.

image host
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

images88.png

image host
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

I don't usually disagree with you kopes, but I have a real problem with we sellers setting ourselves up as the arbiters of what is and isn't genuine or legitimate.  If buyers have concerns and ask for suggestions, pointing them to Vero and other places for answers is fine, but to offer definitive judgements of what is and isn't kosher and report (or advise buyers to report) listings and sellers based on the buyer's side of the story crosses the line in my opinion.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

It think the idea is about listings that are not as they seem, but maybe items that do not seem as described could be discussed too.

There are a lot of experienced people on the forum with certain interests who are able to give educated guesses as to the nature of listings - it is not like ebay gives a damn. For example, I have a business growing the rarest fruits and vegetables from around the world and I am confident that I could give proper advice on seed listings that are genuine or not. There are other people here who do have real experience with things like designer clothing and other items.

This would be advice in addition to other reserch and the vero program as I see it. Seems like a good idea to me.

Latest reply

Penny, I see what you are saying but this is more about what we have been doing here for years.

(Similar to hijack hunters of the past)

A member will ask about a listing and other members will take a look to determine whether it should be reported.

No more than reporting so eBay can look at it. And multiple reports can see listings actioned by eBay faster.

We don't have any arbitration powers here nor can we determine if something genuine or not beyond what we currently do by offering opinions.

This thread is more about bringing to light scam listings and hijacked accounts.

I used an incorrect word on typing the OP when I meant  -

"have experienced ebayers check a listing if there is a concern of the listing not being genuine" etc.

I quite agree, genuine items is even difficult for eBay to determine without having it in hand and the best we can do is to steer members to VERO and Brand name sites offering suggestions for authentications.

Thanks for pointing it out, I hadn't noticed the error.

image host
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

download.jpg

image host
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Do you think it makes a difference to makes multiple reports if there are multiple real and/or suspected violation? 

Hypothetically, someone who normally sells knitting accessories hasn't been active for 12 months. All of a sudden they have several very expensive tellies for sale. This screams hijacked account to me and I would report I for that alone. But the listing also announces bank deposit only, no Paypal and no pick up.

Is it worthwhile making a second report for discouraging acceptable payment methods?

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@book-of-hezekiah wrote:

Do you think it makes a difference to makes multiple reports if there are multiple real and/or suspected violation? 

Hypothetically, someone who normally sells knitting accessories hasn't been active for 12 months. All of a sudden they have several very expensive tellies for sale. This screams hijacked account to me and I would report I for that alone. But the listing also announces bank deposit only, no Paypal and no pick up.

Is it worthwhile making a second report for discouraging acceptable payment methods?

I have reported both the hijacked account and the discouraging acceptable payment methods in the past,(that

to me made it more likely that an eBay rep might remove it).

Now I report hijacked accounts and any that state payment by bank deposit only directly via Help & Contact,

(the report links are useless IMHO,ever since they removed the brief description box).

The success rate is far higher for contacting H & C than it is for using the report links,(some listings still weren't

removed weeks after been reported via the links,so I stopped using them),stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Sorry books, have just seen this now.

Yes, multiple members reporting has been very effective.

Hence the reason for the thread. In the past members have come here with queries on certain listings and after many experienced members have looked into them then reported, they are often removed by eBay.

Go-tazz sometimes posted a series of listings being obvious scams (rainbow rose seeds etc. and others) we would then report the listings also and with multiple different members reporting it was far more effective to having listings removed.

Naturally the scammers create new ID's and the cat n mouse game continues.

image host
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply