Handling fee

I cannot understand why people charge a handling fee, you want to sell something and then lump a handling fee on top??

Looking at an item this morning, item was 100, postage and handling were 106, another seller selling same item had shipping at 56, does not make sence to me.

if I walk into Big W and purchase something and they say, you have to pay handling, I would scream my head off, either you want to sell or you want to rip extra funds from customers.

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Handling fee

An undisclosed dropshipper. Got him into all sorts of trouble on QS, but obviously not enough to change his business model. Especially given his stars - they are atrocious.

Message 21 of 32
Latest reply

As a buyer, I am not put off by a postage and handling fee, as long as it is not too far over the postage cost.

It seems to be the word handling  you don't like.

Maybe sellers should just write preparation and postage fee, because if someone is buying containers and/or bubble wrap, printing labels and what have you, then logically that is going to cost a little extra above and beyond the bare Aust post cost.

What counts is the total cost overall, (compared to other ebay sellers or real shops).

Message 22 of 32
Latest reply

As a buyer do you want a stamp stuck on your tee shirt and your name and address written on it in indelible marker or would you like it neatly folded into a ziplock bag, placed in an outer wrapper and properly labelled?

If you prefer the former please ask your seller before you buy if they will oblige and I am sure they will reduce your packaging and handling fee.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 23 of 32
Latest reply

There are sellers who are wonderful with packaging and there I don't mind a reasonable handling fee. I appreciate they are taking the time to do a good job.

The ones who take that first approach (yes, I know that's a little bit of an exaggeration) and charge double the shipping for their time are the sellers I object to.

It's hard to know which has happened until the package arrives, unless one asks every seller in advance to please be careful, pack in a certain way etc. which is a bit presumptive and impolite.

I'll gently ask for a ziplock if possible if the item is a delicate material though ๐Ÿ™‚

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 24 of 32
Latest reply

[ New ]

in reply to springyzone

As a buyer do you want a stamp stuck on your tee shirt and your name and address written on it in indelible marker or would you like it neatly folded into a ziplock bag, placed in an outer wrapper and properly labelled?

If you prefer the former please ask your seller before you buy if they will oblige and I am sure they will reduce your packaging and handling

---------------------------------------------

Was this actually meant as a reply to my post, the one above yours?

It feels like a sarcastic comment aimed at me, when in fact I stated (pretty clearly, I thought) that

As a buyer, I am not put off by a postage and handling fee, ......if someone is buying containers and/or bubble wrap, printing labels and what have you, then logically that is going to cost a little extra above and beyond the bare Aust post cost.

To me, that equates to saying I am prepared to pay extra for postage and handling, I wouldn't expect postage at simply the cost of the stamps.

No, I wouldn't expect a stamp stuck on my T shirt. What an odd thing to ask me if i would like that. I guess it was New years eve though and people can get a bit jolly.Woman Tongue

Message 25 of 32
Latest reply

Pj has a habit of answering the last post, rather than the relevant one. I think it comes with age.

I note the OP has not been back, which would tend to reinforce my intimation that he is trying to advertise, even though no seller should be drawing attention to themselves in his position.

Message 26 of 32
Latest reply

I do not mind paying a handling fee at all for an item that is well wrapped before it is placed in a satchel.

I DO mind paying a handling fee whan an item is not packaged at all just shoved into a satchel.Man Sad 

I have often paid a handling fee to sellers who have done just that with an expensive shirt or other clothing item.  The item emerges crumpled, crushed and often soiled.

Charge a handling fee by all means but at least have the decency to WRAP the item before putting it in to a satchel

Message 27 of 32
Latest reply

I charge a handling fee if posting, the mailing box and bubble wrap aren't cheap.  But if they come collect they don't get charged.

Message 28 of 32
Latest reply

boy_cee
Community Member

Yes that's just it you walked into Big W or wherever. If you bought from some one on Ebay they do the walking and packing. A small fee to offset the increasing fees for using Ebay, PayPal and the cost of packaging is not unreasonable. I mean SMALL fee,

@t0psales wrote:

I cannot understand why people charge a handling fee, you want to sell something and then lump a handling fee on top??

Looking at an item this morning, item was 100, postage and handling were 106, another seller selling same item had shipping at 56, does not make sence to me.

if I walk into Big W and purchase something and they say, you have to pay handling, I would scream my head off, either you want to sell or you want to rip extra funds from customers.

Message 29 of 32
Latest reply

I'm sure he's sorted it in the last 12 months

Message 30 of 32
Latest reply