Has anyone else had an automated purchase of Iphone call?

I have just received an automated phone call on my home phone, stating that I have purchase an Iphone for $350 dollars...which I haven't...I am not sure what this call is aiming achieve but I pretty sure it is a scam...One for the Annoying Box....

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Yes, it is sounding alarm bells to me... has to be a scam! I would just ignore it.
Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

Automated scam calls are rife at present. I've had several claiming to be from the ATO, from the AFP, etc., etc., and I am as innocent of wrongdoing as Snow White.

Snow White lying in her casket, attended by mourning dwarves

As you probably have done, just ignore the call, end it without another word, and then block the number if you can do so.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

rus_8602
Community Member

I just got the same recorded call so I pressed 1. I spoke to someone in a call centre and said I hadn't made any purchases then they wanted access to my computer so I hung up on her. They called back about six times before they gave up. This is a scam. I sure ebay dosen't contact people this way.

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

@rus_8602 wrote:

I just got the same recorded call so I pressed 1. 

Never ever do that, it can open up your phone to the scammers/hackers which can cause problems if you use the phone for emails, on-line buying etc.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

The call has nothing to do with eBay

People who have never used ebay would be getting the same scam call

I do not know what you have now opened yourself up to by playing along with them (pressing 1) but please be on your guard 

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

It was my home phone landline. Good luck getting anything out of that.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

You got ripped - I was offered an iPhone Pro for $250.
Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

You mean good luck to the scammer

Sorry I did not 'know' it was to a landline 

By all means, press away 

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@scootermopoke wrote:

I have just received an automated phone call on my home phone, stating that I have purchase an Iphone for $350 dollars...which I haven't...I am not sure what this call is aiming achieve but I pretty sure it is a scam...One for the Annoying Box....

At the very least you have confirmed that the phone number is active, leaving you open to being put on every scammers list.

It is the same with phishing emails.....click on anything and you have confirmed an active email address which will go on every scammer's to ring list.

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply